Sign in to follow this  

LED lights on my CRF250x

Hello, guys

Thinking about installing an LED light bar on my CRF250x the light bar is rated at 18w, Would I need to upgrade my stator to support this light or would I be able to leave it stock. If so, can I just connect the light directly to the battery with a fuse and an on/off switch?

Thanks for the help

If you are planning to leave the front headlight in there as well, yes you would need to upgrade.  

The stock stator puts out about 65 watts in total.   20 is converted to DC for charging the battery, leaving 45 for the headlight.

Jim.

Thanks so as long as I keep it less than 45W i Shouldn't have any problem?

What about wiring, would directly to the battery with a switch work?

Thanks

Yes and no, the headlight is A/C.   So to run off that wiring, you're going to need to add another regulator/rectifier that can handle 45 watts.

If your run it off the battery, you will drain the battery.   Only 20 watts of DC is available to charge the battery, so if you hookup 35 watts of LED lighting to it, you'll have a drain on the battery of 15 watts.  Might run your lighting a couple of hours, but you'll have no juice for starting and eventually even the LED's will die off.  You don't want to do this.  It's bad to run a battery totally flat and on top of that, you run a slight risk of burning out the existing regulator/rectifier as it will be running at max output as long as the lights are on.

The first option (adding another regulator rectifier) is a far better choice.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

That one won't work....it needs a floating ground on the stator.

Sorry to leave you high and dry, but I don't know of a rectifier/regulator off-hand that will work with a non-floating ground without doing a lot of checking.

Please keep in mind that your in no-man's land when you do something like this.   The vendors like Trail Tech and Baja Designs sell complete kits for a reason.  Sometimes your simply better off in the long run to start over and that's what these vendors are doing with these kits.

The OEM stuff was designed to work together with nothing else added or be different, and are "just enough" to get the job done.

So you need to tread carefully.   

What you need is a full wave rectifier (changes A/C to DC) that will handle at least 50 watts.   Then either LED lighting that will support a wide range of voltage, or you need to add a regulator that will keep a steady voltage.    You may also find that you need to modify the stock stator and change it to floating ground in order to get a rectifier/regulator that will work the way it needs to (if you mod the stator, that Trail Tech one would work then).

Jim. 

Look at cyclops lighting I bought a led bulb and rectifier and works perfectly just needed to space the headlight housing out.a little to clear the fan from the head steam

Have you looked at just running your light bar on a separate battery? Look up "flame thrower led" on eBay by stanleyoutdoors. My buddy runs one of these and it works great. It comes with a lithium battery and goes about 1.5 hrs on high or a little more than 2 hrs on low. I bought a helmet led light from stanleyoutdoors and love it.

A related question...do the LED headlight kits remedy the brightness fluctuation experienced with the stock AC powered halogen headlight?  IMO the stock headlight is pretty useless when the RPMs are constantly changing.  It's good for making yourself visible to other riders, but not ideal for lighting the way.

Edited by mossman77

Have you looked at just running your light bar on a separate battery? Look up "flame thrower led" on eBay by stanleyoutdoors. My buddy runs one of these and it works great. It comes with a lithium battery and goes about 1.5 hrs on high or a little more than 2 hrs on low. I bought a helmet led light from stanleyoutdoors and love it.

I've got one of these and am SUPER happy with it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272067246532?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

A related question...do the LED headlight kits remedy the brightness fluctuation experienced with the stock AC powered halogen headlight?  IMO the stock headlight is pretty useless when the RPMs are constantly changing.  It's good for making yourself visible to other riders, but not ideal for lighting the way.

Yes- there is no flicker with my lightbar.  I have this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272067246532?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649