Sign in to follow this  

Any thoughts on superchargers?

Here is a video if a pit bike with a supercharger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVt-35lHkBg

They claim 100% gain but it doesn't matter what they claim we all know superchargers work.

Here is another for a supercharged zx-10r giving  221 hp output with a nice torque curve (dyno results at the end of the vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dllVsVSCk

Why hasn't this been attempted on the small air cooled dirt bikes? or have they been attempted and failed?

Sorry if I sound dumb with these questions but is there a way to get a small supercharger on a crf150/230 and have 40+ hp?

(please don't say get a 2 stroke)

• Like 1

It would be lots of work, there probably would be no room, and it would take away that Honda reliability. Why not just get a CRF250X or 450X?

There is room if you remove the airbox. I understand that a 450 is faster and more reliable but it defeats the purpose for me. It's about pushing an engine to the limits not about raw power.

I think a small turbo would be a better place to start.

I thought turbos don't work well with small motorcycle engines. Most people I have seen opted for a supercharger. Why is that?

I'm normally aspirated but like to be injected and turbo'd with a variable wast gate lever on the handlebars next to the clutch lever as well as a progressive two stage 

Why not a belt driven supercharger in-place of the airbox. Turbos require lots of tuning and can be a pain. Wouldn't a small supercharger be easier to fit and tune? Has it been done before on a small engine like this or has anyone considered doing it?

Its been done...ill try to gind pics...used a vw smog pump

Supers are much better on singles for a couple of reasons.

Its hard for a single to spool up a turbo. Can you say super lag?

A super is better down low and is instantaneous when you ask for it..

Its been done...ill try to gind pics...used a vw smog pump

Supers are much better on singles for a couple of reasons.

Its hard for a single to spool up a turbo. Can you say super lag?

A super is better down low and is instantaneous when you ask for it..

that was my reasoning too. I just find the lack of working examples mystifying. Is it that no one cares enough or there is a reason for it not to work.

You will find that super or turbocharging is very difficult with a single cylinder. Even twins are only so-so. Due to no common plenum as in 4-12 cylinder the pressure is very erratic. Think massive pulsation...... Did a cb160 years ago and only so-so benefits. Now nitrous works well on single.....

• Like 3

you will also find the room in the frame is very limiting. Especially In the case of a dirt bike.

the gain in power will be inversely offset by the big slug of compressor right in the way of your leg !

I recommend bigger cc's, or higher compression, and race gas...(or nitro as the rude one mentioned)

love the thread though... :thumbsup:

perhaps with todays batteries, one could fashion a small on demand electric blower ??!!.

hummm........

see this is why I like these threads, they help keep my vintage mind active...

PS> Q47.....2 stokes are awesome.....super charged 2 stokes are even more awsome

Edited by daled

perhaps with todays batteries, one could fashion a small on demand electric blower ??!!.

hummm........

see this is why I like these threads, they help keep my vintage mind active...

PS> Q47.....2 stokes are awesome.....super charged 2 stokes are even more awsome

I love 2 strokes. They are awesome. I just wanted people to help me with this engine or idea and not just say 'get a rm250, get a 450 mx'

I know there are faster and cheaper bikes than a perfectly supercharged crf230. That's not the point.

I thought about electric superchargers but they require lots of power even for a small engine they are not that strong.

If you remove the airbox like I did there is a room for stuff. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the cam sprocket cover (the one where you adjust the sprocket timing) and and extending a shaft from the camshaft with a third bearing for suppurt. Putting a pully and a belt to the supercharger, which is placed in place of the airbox. There seems to be enough room but I don't know if the shaft will place excessive load on the cam chain or sprockets. Current;y I am thinking of a way to hook the supercharger.

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the cam sprocket cover (the one where you adjust the sprocket timing) and and extending a shaft from the camshaft with a third bearing for suppurt. Putting a pully and a belt to the supercharger, which is placed in place of the airbox. There seems to be enough room but I don't know if the shaft will place excessive load on the cam chain or sprockets. Current;y I am thinking of a way to hook the supercharger.

ok I may not be the best one on this particular subject, but on my wife's Miata the supercharger is driven from the crank shaft and the pullies are sized for around 3:1 (If I recall correctly) speed increase.. so the super is running 3 times crank speed.

if you drive from the cam, its already 1/2 of the crank speed, so your pullies are going to have to make up some serious speed., I would also think that the OEM cam chain would have to be beefed up for whatever inertia your blower and pullies will introduce...

so just go get an RM250.......LOL.....JK...and all that...

Edited by daled

Nelson Racing discussed his findings with turbo vs. blower on Chevy V8s.  He found that the crank and rod bearings took a beating with the supercharger because of belt vibration. 

• Like 1

You will find that super or turbocharging is very difficult with a single cylinder. Even twins are only so-so. Due to no common plenum as in 4-12 cylinder the pressure is very erratic. Think massive pulsation...... Did a cb160 years ago and only so-so benefits. Now nitrous works well on single.....

After seeing hundreds of turbo single on youtube just idling because they failed miserably I diverted my attention to nitrous.

I posted a thread in the technical forum please check it out and tell me what you think. I don't have experience in that field and I want a simple mechanical way to implement nitrous.

My crf has a 11:5:1 cr  with an aftermarket cam which wouldn't work well with forced induction.

I like the boondockers setup concept. Simple. Now that would really come in useful and ONLY when needed unlike "boosted" setups.