Sign in to follow this  

Storing your bike for winter

What is some things I can do to my Bike 2015yz250f and my sons bike 2012kx65 for the winter. I live in Bozeman Montana and winters are pretty damn cold. If you have any tips let me know please. 

Confirm the coolant's concentration is good to at least (idealy beyond) the coldest temps anticipated while in storage. (windchill factor doesn't count on machinery)

At least a 50/50 but no more than 60/40 antifreeze to water percentage.

Or as I do, simply drain all the coolant from the system and refill next spring.

Store it with fresh oil, used oil can be acidic and not ideal to leave sitting in your engine over winter.

Drain the fuel, pour a Sta-Bil type fuel treatment in the tank and run the engine dry,

as well spray some storage fogging oil in the air inlet while idling right up until it stalls.

Remove the chain and soak it in oil all winter, spray WD-40 on the sprockets.

Pump up the tires to about 25psi.

Store it on a stand with no weight on the suspension (as it should always be stored when not riding)

Cover the bike up, plug the exhaust and air inlet if mice are a problem.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Confirm the coolant's concentration is good to at least (idealy beyond) the coolest temps anticipated while in storage. (windchill factor doesn't count on machinery)

At least a 50/50 but no more than 60/40 antifreeze to water percentage.

Or as I do, simply drain all the coolant from the system and refill next spring.

Store it with fresh oil, used oil can be acidic and not ideal to leave sitting in your engine over winter.

Drain the fuel, pour a Sta-Bil type fuel treatment in the tank and run the engine dry,

as well some spray storage fogging oil in the air inlet while idling right up until it stalls.

Remove the chain and soak it in oil all winter, spray WD-40 on the sprockets.

Pump up the tires to about 25psi.

Store it on a stand with no weight on the suspension (as it should always be stored when not riding)

Cover the bike up, plug the exhaust and air inlet if mice are a problem.

spot on, i also take an old bed sheet and throw it over my stuff when its not being used to keep dust off.

• Like 1