Sign in to follow this  

How to get over selling the bike!

Mods are free to move this post to the correct place if needed. How do people get over selling your beloved bike? I was in a money pinch and over a year ago had to make the decision of selling my beautiful 1998 YZ250 :banghead: . I had so much work into it and spent so much time, just like everyone probably on this forum. I went to the other side and now have a street bike 2007 Yamaha FZ6 which I absolutely love. I can see myself picking up another dirt bike possibly in the spring with tax refunds. I haven't been on here in about 8 months to over a year and something brings me back to it. I can't keep myself away from woods riding and feel like something is missing daily without it. I regret every day selling my bike. Anyone else done the same and ended up coming back to it sooner than planned? I just threw all my riding gear into a box and am hoping to take it out of it sooner rather than later. 

As the old saying goes, Best way to get over the old one is to get under a new one

• Like 4

If you have the funds get a new puppy. You won't miss the old dog so much.

• Like 2

If you have the funds get a new puppy. You won't miss the old dog so much.

Exactly my thoughts. I actually got hired at General Electric Healthcare which allowed me to get my FZ6 and now getting another bike shouldn't be a problem. I hate buying someones bike and not put my own work into it, but at the same time I want something woods ready and just go.

It's way cheaper to buy than build. Cheapest bike to run was one I bought a few years old with 10 hours on it.

Cost a little more up front but saved money over 2 years.

• Like 1

Find something thats pretty much new, I had a friend who races worcs and was just picked up by a team and had a woods ready ktm 250sx with pretty much everything you could think of, it was so sick. Just wait a while and see what shows up, if you can't wait any longer by yourself a bike, or you could always buy a 2015, i think they're dropping in price because the 2016 just came out. I'm debating getting in debt to buy a leftover 2014 yz250f, its taking everything in me to just keep saving rather than go out and buy a bike now haha

It's way cheaper to buy than build. Cheapest bike to run was one I bought a few years old with 10 hours on it.

Cost a little more up front but saved money over 2 years.

I agree. The guy who got my bike got an absolute deal on it. I bought my bike for $1050 and told myself I'd ride it the way it was, but then I dropped over $700 into it and easily another $4-500. Sold it just as it looks in my profile picture for $1300. I would definitely buy another YZ preferably 05+ ready to go.

Get on craiglist. Be patient and look for what you want.

• Like 1

📎easy_rider_bike_auction-1.jpgCrotch rocket? why not a Harley? man o man! darn kids and their screaming zoots!📎easy_rider_bike_auction-1.jpg

To be honest I went to the dealer and I couldn't get comfortable on any Harley or cruiser. Anytime I went into the showroom I would sit on everything and no matter what I did the sport touring bikes were always the most comfortable for me. I have a bad lower back (herniated L3) which I am comfortable with a more upright position, but still have a slight hunch over. I fell in love with the dual under the seat exhaust and I got a deal on mine. One owner completely stock never beaten..

1447029961845.jpg

1447030019756.jpg

• Like 1

I'm coming from the opposite side as you - riding sportbikes for ten years, heavy into track days for the last two - sold everything about six months ago because I want to buy a house and $1000+ weekends as a norm aren't going to let that happen.  Here I am three months in of riding a dirtbike for the first time and I like it... but it doesn't keep the itch away. :)  I browser Craigslist when I'm bored, I just know it's a matter of time until there is something on slicks in the garage again...

Edited by BeeVictim

I'm coming from the opposite side as you - riding sportbikes for ten years, heavy into track days for the last two - sold everything about six months ago because I want to buy a house and $1000+ weekends as a norm aren't going to let that happen. Here I am three months in of riding a dirtbike for the first time and I like it... but it doesn't keep the itch away. :) I browser Craigslist when I'm bored, I just know it's a matter of time until there is something on slicks in the garage again...

I've been doing the same for the past hour or so. Just searching around too see what's around. Prices are cheap in the fall, and I know I'll probably over pay in the spring by a few hundred because of the timing, but I know for a fact I'll have one come spring. Can't get the itch to go away!!

I agree. The guy who got my bike got an absolute deal on it. I bought my bike for $1050 and told myself I'd ride it the way it was, but then I dropped over $700 into it and easily another $4-500. Sold it just as it looks in my profile picture for $1300. I would definitely buy another YZ preferably 05+ ready to go.

You sold a 98 yz250 about a year ago for $1300 and you think he got the deal? You got $400 more for it than you should have.

Eh....the yz was SEVENTEEN years old anyway. Look for a more modern one as your next one and you will forget all about the '98.

Joe

I loved that age of the bike though. Felt so planted and just fit perfectly. Granted it was old, but if you took a gander at my garage it doesn't seem like a 98.

I wouldn't have sold it for any less. The bike was worth just that or even more because of the condition it was in. I could have gotten $1500 out of it but dropped the price for a quick sale.

i just sold my 1998 yz250 too a couple of weeks ago.it hurts as the motor was just completely done and brand tires plastics and decals it looked and ran mint...... but hey the best way to get over selling one bike is to get another... hellllloooooo 2015 beta 250RR

• Like 1