Sign in to follow this  

Hopeless Noob Question-- Will drz400sm acept dirt wheels and tires for off road?

Hi, All

Pardon the very dumb question, but I've skimmed the threads and I think maybe I know the answer but want to make sure before I pull the trigger on a drz400sm purchase today or tomorrow.....

I want a drz400 for two things-- Use it on the street here in San Antonio for fun and light transport, and also trailer it out to W Texas and New Mexico it for trails and adventure riding and playing in the dirt. Seemed to me I could get away with one DRZ and two sets of wheels, a set of stockers and a set of SM wheels. I know where i can get a way-cool drz400SM with all the right mods. If I found a set of stock dry off-road wheels or similar wheels would they be fully interchangeable with the SM wheels on this bike? No brake match-up problems, no suspension/fender clearance problems, etc?

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

k9dr

Edited by k9dr

In short, yes. You will need to change the caliper bracket between sets of wheels so that you can use a bigger rotor on the supermoto wheels. However this is easy to do; if you were lazy you could just use the same size brake rotor for both wheel sets but that will just depend on you. It's quite easy to make the swap between the two sets, the more you do it, the faster you'll get at it. It's a fun bike, also you'll want to stiffen up the suspension when you have the supermoto wheels on it (flathead screwdriver, easy peasy.)

I think you'll have an awesome time on the DRZ for what you describe. It's not a motocross bike, however it is a competent street legal trails bike, motard, and frankly fun as hell to ride.

I own an E, not an SM, so I'm not positive, but I think you'll need to get the other rims that accept the standard dirtbike sized wheels. Do any of you SM people ever try putting tires on that fit your stock rims that have a dualsport tread pattern? I used to have an NX650, and it had some Bridgestone tires that were great on the street and just good enough for dirt, I think they were called Trailmasters

In short, yes. You will need to change the caliper bracket between sets of wheels so that you can use a bigger rotor on the supermoto wheels. However this is easy to do; if you were lazy you could just use the same size brake rotor for both wheel sets but that will just depend on you. It's quite easy to make the swap between the two sets, the more you do it, the faster you'll get at it. It's a fun bike, also you'll want to stiffen up the suspension when you have the supermoto wheels on it (flathead screwdriver, easy peasy.)

I think you'll have an awesome time on the DRZ for what you describe. It's not a motocross bike, however it is a competent street legal trails bike, motard, and frankly fun as hell to ride.

Hmmmmmm.....That's interesting. I wonder if I could even have a set of custom dirt wheels made up that use the SM rotors, so no adjustment to brakes would be necessary when swapping the wheels. Would I run the same size sprocket on the rear wheels, or different size sprockets and just plan on changing chain length each time I swap the wheels? 

I rode a drz a couple hundred miles over rough country in Australia some years ago, thought it was fun but doggy and heavy. This SM has all the power mods and the better SM front forks and all, so I thought it could perhaps be a good compromise between reliability and good parts economy and availability and better than stock power and performance. A Husqvarna or Ktm would be fun but I don't want to pay the price and do all the maintenance....

Thank you very much for your input.

k9dr

PS-- Reading your post again, I think you're telling me that I CAN use big rotors on  both wheels, or small rotors, and they'll fit either way....No custom wheel set necessary.....Thanks!

Edited by k9dr
  • Like 1

I own an E, not an SM, so I'm not positive, but I think you'll need to get the other rims that accept the standard dirtbike sized wheels. Do any of you SM people ever try putting tires on that fit your stock rims that have a dualsport tread pattern? I used to have an NX650, and it had some Bridgestone tires that were great on the street and just good enough for dirt, I think they were called Trailmasters

He means different sets of wheels not two different sets tires or dual sport tread.

Also yes you can swap SM and S rims interchangeably, but you would need some items depending on which way you go.

1. If you bought a SM and wanted to be able to switch out easily then you would want 310/240 front and rear rotors for your S wheels (they come stock on SM). The bigger rotors will help with braking.

2. If you bought a S and wanted to switch out easily you have two options

a) run 310/240 all the way around (you would also need front and rear caliper carriers) Better braking but alot of money for rotors and carriers

B) run 250/220 (stock s size) all the way around SM and S and you don't need new carriers. Cheaper but braking isnt as good.

This is all of course if you are considering OEM wheels SM and S. When you get into aftermarket rims some bolt patterns are different and other things. You'll also need two different sets of chains for the wheels. You can run different size sprockets on each set (that will also determine chain length.

Edited by Decil Moto
  • Like 1

Just keep in mind that a 320mm rotor offroad becomes not only a rock magnet, leading to potential bike damage... but also makes it VERY easy to grab way too much front brake and cause rider damage.

@Dmouse...

Some SM guys do put 17" dirt tires on the stock SM rims. This favors someone who is not looking to switch between street and off road specific tires though. Much more difficult to switch tires than it is to swap entire wheel assemblies around.

terror-tard.jpg

Just keep in mind that a 320mm rotor offroad becomes not only a rock magnet, leading to potential bike damage... but also makes it VERY easy to grab way too much front brake and cause rider damage.

@Dmouse...

Some SM guys do put 17" dirt tires on the stock SM rims. This favors someone who is not looking to switch between street and off road specific tires though. Much more difficult to switch tires than it is to swap entire wheel assemblies around.

terror-tard.jpg

Unfortunately the 17 front with knobs isnt as nimble off road as a 21 in front. Either way (SM with knobs, SM/S wheel combo, or just 1 set of wheels) you'll be happy with the DRZ, its a great platform!

Some things need to be cleared up. The factory SM rotor is 310mm, not 320mm, and last time I checked there is no bracket available to adapt 320mm rotors to the SM forks. Nor is there a bracket to adapt smaller 250mm S rotors to SM forks. So basically your stuck with running a 310mm front rotor no matter the size wheel you mount. In your case, what I would recommend is find a set of factory S or E wheels and bolt a factory SM rotor to the front and factory SM rotor to the rear (you need an SM rotor in the rear because its larger, too)and call it a day.

• Like 2

Some things need to be cleared up. The factory SM rotor is 310mm, not 320mm, and last time I checked there is no bracket available to adapt 320mm rotors to the SM forks. Nor is there a bracket to adapt smaller 250mm S rotors to SM forks. So basically your stuck with running a 310mm front rotor no matter the size wheel you mount. In your case, what I would recommend is find a set of factory S or E wheels and bolt a factory SM rotor (or aftermarket replacement of the same size) to the front and factory SM rotor to the rear (you need an SM rotor in the rear because its larger, too)and call it a day.

@Dmouse...

terror-tard.jpg

Thanx for posting pick, that's exactly what I was wondering. I think I was running the Bridgestone TW26 on my NX, the bikes suspension, mainly the front, kept me from doing serious off-roading with it. When I did go off-road, the tires surprisingly hooked up well, and were a real strong street tire. I think that tire would be a good fit for the SM, I wouldn't trust the tires pictured on the street. Between the cost and the labor, if I owned an SM, would have just one set of wheels, and try to just make that work, I'm old [cheap and not interested in working on my bike a lot]

Some things need to be cleared up. The factory SM rotor is 310mm, not 320mm, and last time I checked there is no bracket available to adapt 320mm rotors to the SM forks. Nor is there a bracket to adapt smaller 250mm S rotors to SM forks. So basically your stuck with running a 310mm front rotor no matter the size wheel you mount. In your case, what I would recommend is find a set of factory S or E wheels and bolt a factory SM rotor to the front and factory SM rotor to the rear (you need an SM rotor in the rear because its larger, too)and call it a day.

This^^^^ I had dirt wheels for my SM and it is an easy swap but like PT said you have to run the 310 rotor and the sm rear rotor. There is no bracket to change to the smaller rotor size.

Avon Distanzias work well in the dirt. Not great but well.

Or I  could just go F*&^it and buy two bikes and save myself a lot of trouble! But then I would need to buy two of every mod, and that would be incredibly expensive!

Thanks for the information, guys. How did I know it would be a bit more complicated than I thought? I'm'a try to clinch this deal on the drz400sm, and then when I get to actually trying to wrench the wheel/brake thing I'll call on you again.

And I had already thought of the implications of having WAY too much front brake on a dirt bike.......I could just form the firm resolution to trail-bike it and take my time and be careful and look at the woods and listen to the birds sing and use one finger on the brake, but for some reason even as I get older I don't get any less reckless or crash any less often. Thats one reason I belong on a drz and not on a KTM or Husqvarna. You can kill yourself on a tricycle if you try, but I just do better with less horsepower right there where I can't help but whack the throttle on. Same reason I ride an sv650 on the street instead of a death bike.

Thank you, Gentlemen

k9dr

• Like 1

Or I could just go F*&^it and buy two bikes and save myself a lot of trouble! But then I would need to buy two of every mod, and that would be incredibly expensive!

Thanks for the information, guys. How did I know it would be a bit more complicated than I thought? I'm'a try to clinch this deal on the drz400sm, and then when I get to actually trying to wrench the wheel/brake thing I'll call on you again.

And I had already thought of the implications of having WAY too much front brake on a dirt bike.......I could just form the firm resolution to trail-bike it and take my time and be careful and look at the woods and listen to the birds sing and use one finger on the brake, but for some reason even as I get older I don't get any less reckless or crash any less often. Thats one reason I belong on a drz and not on a KTM or Husqvarna. You can kill yourself on a tricycle if you try, but I just do better with less horsepower right there where I can't help but whack the throttle on. Same reason I ride an sv650 on the street instead of a death bike.

Thank you, Gentlemen

k9dr

Or do like I did and buy an S and have two sets of wheels, sprockets n chains. I probably ride 50% dirt trails and single track and 50% street with my SM set up on it! Hubby switches them in n out for me. He's pretty fast at it now. Just my 2 cent!

Hmmmmmm.....That's interesting. I wonder if I could even have a set of custom dirt wheels made up that use the SM rotors, so no adjustment to brakes would be necessary when swapping the wheels. Would I run the same size sprocket on the rear wheels, or different size sprockets and just plan on changing chain length each time I swap the wheels? 

I rode a drz a couple hundred miles over rough country in Australia some years ago, thought it was fun but doggy and heavy. This SM has all the power mods and the better SM front forks and all, so I thought it could perhaps be a good compromise between reliability and good parts economy and availability and better than stock power and performance. A Husqvarna or Ktm would be fun but I don't want to pay the price and do all the maintenance....

Thank you very much for your input.

k9dr

PS-- Reading your post again, I think you're telling me that I CAN use big rotors on  both wheels, or small rotors, and they'll fit either way....No custom wheel set necessary.....Thanks!

The E or S model is a better start for dualsporting, or dirt riding. The forks are longer travel, the wheels are the right size, and the swingarm has the better snail-shell adjusters. 

The SM can have the S or E (21/18") wheels swapped onto it, but the rotors are smaller on the S / E wheels, so you'll have to source some SM rotors for the S/E wheels for it to be a bolt on swap between wheelsets. 

Everything else about the S and SM bikes is the same. The E has a pumper carb, plastic tank, and nicer cam profiles, along with slightly higher compression ratio. 

The only benefit to the SM is the sticker on the plastics. 

• Like 2

One finger braking in the dirt.

Fleabay has lots of used rotors.

Consider two sets of chains / sprockets, little more $$ and work to swap rims.  Better that the chain/sprockets wear out together.

Takes me at worst an hour to swap rims, dogs seem to need a tummy rub when the tools come out.

What you learn in the dirt is useful on the road.

terror-tard.jpg

I've got a spare 21/18 for my SM, not been mounted yet, so I can't give an informed opinion.  But this ^^^^  is sexy a.f.

• Like 1

ive off roaded with the S converted to SM while being in SM trim with 17's,  its not bad at all,  front 21'' is better,  but i could do anything with the 17's too, its not like you're going to be mx'ing the bike, for  off roading the SM is more then capable IMHO. 

I bought a set of practically brand new 21/18 wheels of a S recently,  but im too lazy to even try switching wheels,  i like it more in SM trim. 

stosm5_zps208a0c5f.jpg

• Like 2

EBC, braking, ect ect make 320mm rotor kits that come with a new bracket. I have one, and it's a pain in the ass to remove the caliper with 17" rims.

You literally have to unbolt the rotor first while on the wheel as the caliper now sits much closer to the rim and has no room to slide out.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

EBC, braking, ect ect make 320mm rotor kits that come with a new bracket. I have one, and it's a pain in the ass to remove the caliper with 17" rims.

You literally have to unbolt the rotor first while on the wheel as the caliper now sits much closer to the rim and has no room to slide out.

im pretty new to this and went the S - SM wheels with 320's direction, but on mine you can pull the pad pin at the bottom and slide the pads out then the caliper will come off .. it can be tricky putting the caliper on and getting the pads back in like that .. you may have to bend the tabs on the 'pad guide plates' so they really stick to the caliper better and stay in place as your fooling with it ..

so it appears to me that buying an S and then getting sm wheels for it is the way to go if you intend to have a swappable setup with the most flexibility .. theres brackets available for all the rotor sizes and once you have everything you need, two chain/sprocket sets, two speedo drives, and the wheels all set up with the proper rotors and tires, its a quick and easy swap ...

im pretty new to this and went the S - SM wheels with 320's direction, but on mine you can pull the pad pin at the bottom and slide the pads out then the caliper will come off .. it can be tricky putting the caliper on and getting the pads back in like that .. you may have to bend the tabs on the 'pad guide plates' so they really stick to the caliper better and stay in place as your fooling with it ..

so it appears to me that buying an S and then getting sm wheels for it is the way to go if you intend to have a swappable setup with the most flexibility .. theres brackets available for all the rotor sizes and once you have everything you need, two chain/sprocket sets, two speedo drives, and the wheels all set up with the proper rotors and tires, its a quick and easy swap ...

I got down to twenty minutes with lots of same day swapping.

then I rode a dirt bike that was 60+ lbs lighter, and the dirt wheels haven't been on the drz in over a year.

it helps to have read the thread for titling any bike on the super moto junkie forum, and getting a title for that dirt bike, and that it has six gears, a little.

if it were me I would look for an E model, tag it, and enjoy it and skip all the S vs sm silliness

• Like 1