Sign in to follow this  

Clutch drag and electricity start

Hi'

Recently aquire a xc 300 12 and all is well apart from a couple of things.

Firstly the clutch I'd dragging slightly, when in gear it's wanting to stall. Tried lighter oil, maybe bleed ?

And also....the electric start, checked the obvious. Battery, earth ect but heard a rumour about a bearing ?

Any help would be appreciated.

If you shift into gear and the bike tries to creep, your clutch is not fully releasing. Now, is that a notched clutch basket, or air in the hydraulic system not letting the clutch plates from completely releasing from each other.

If there is no air in your hydraulic clutch system, your clutch lever should have full, normal pressure travel as soon as you pull on it.  If it is soft when you first pull in on it, then it feels like normal pressure the last bit of travel, then you may have air, or the lever is out of adjustment.

If the starter turns over fine with the bike in neutral, but not when it's in gear, then the starter is fine, the problem is your clutch dragging problem.

Of course if it turns slow in neutral, the you may have a defective starter, poor ground, or poor connection, or low voltage.  

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I bled the clutch the traditional way but nor the ktm way, is this simply attaching a syringe filled with oil to the nipple, cracking it open and force the oil through the line into the reservoir? The basket did look to have a few grooves in it, I will have to sit and patiently file them down so they are smooth.

The starter just clicks, I stripped it down last night and I have a feeling I have a bad earth? What else can wear in the starter units that I should look out for?

Not familiar with a KTM starter, but if it has a solenoid, it can activate (click), but not make contact to the starter motor.

It can be checked with a simple test light or volt meter.

I've always bled my clutch conventional (pump lever, release bleed screw). I'd only recommend reverse bleeding if you're flushing the entire system, not for burping a little air.

As for your starter, I bet you have a bad connection. Check the connectors going to the relay cluster attached to it under your battery box. Had the same problem and it turned out to be a corroded and compromised connector. We do drag these things through the elements.

Edited by zderekv