My new CRF230/150F homologation project. Opinions?

Whaaaat's up gang! I always find good info on here-- I guess I should drop by more often. I LOVE building cool, budget minded play bikes to jack around on, and race in the pit bike wars here in Ohio. I've been racing a nearly showroom stock '05 150F since 2010. I love it, but that bike is going to turn into a Mod bike next year, and I need a reliable practice thrasher with a little more balls than the 150F I've been on. I also wanted it to be user friendly so I can have my dumb ass friends and GF's ride it. My last GF couldn't start the kicker 150F. SOOOooooo-- I'm excited to introduce my new project. Feel free to chime in with any suggestions.

I just picked up a showroom new '07 CRF230F, AND a $200 (yes! $200!) '06 150F with the wiring harness torn up-- busted motor.... etc. I wanted it for the front end, swinger, linkage, and wheels, along with a few other parts. 

The project consists of running the 150F front end, wheels, swinger, and linkage on the like new 230F, making it .... well.... a 230 powered 150F! I can't run the big 'Ol  230F in the pit bike races. and I wanted the reliability of the stock 230 motor, rather than building a 150 motor up.

Here's what I have planned:

- Some fab work to the frame, mostly to the welded on rear brake pedal stopper. From experiance I know that this loves to bend down when the rear brake pedal catches in ruts. I'm going to have it rebuilt alot stronger than it comes stock. Then have the frame powdercoated the stock color.

- I'm sending the fork damping rods to Bruce Triplett for valving mods, and likely running one stock spring, and one .44 Cannon spring with the stock weight fork oil, at the stock height. I've been running this setup in my current bike, and it works well. I have Hlebo modded rods in that bike.

- I was going to send the stock shock to Bruce for a revalve. I had Hlebo revalve the xtock shock on my other whip, and it works great, but I think I'm going to try a Hagon shock on this bike just because I've heard good things about them, and they aren't much more money than revalving the stock shock.

- I'm running a Works Connection clutch perch and skid plate on my current bike-- and I LOVE them, so these same setups will make their way to the new project.

- I'll be running a Uni air filter, an "03-'05 needle in the carb with 50/122 jetting, and the needle clip in the 4th position.

-Stock '03-'05 gearing.

- Bridgestone 404's.

- a CRF150R front fender, as I've been running on my current bike. Looks alot better than the stocker.

- Stock exhuast with the baffle removed, and I was lucky enough to order a Powroll end cap to replace the stock end cap before they went under. I have one on the other bike, and I guess it's supposed to flow better than the stock cap with the baffle pulled out.

- TAG Mini Racer bend bars as I've been running on the other bike. Love them, and they're pretty strong.

- I prefer the older 150F brake pedal as it tucks in better than the newer 230 piece.

- Front rim lock

MOTOR: I'm thinking a slight clean up port job, and some sort of Web Cam. This is where I could use some guidance. I want the reliability of bone stock, but I'd prefer a slightly racier power/torque curve. What do you guys think based on what I've outlined above?

Should be a ball to ride just like the 150F I've been riding, only.... well.... more powerful!  --L*64

Edited by luckystar64
  • Like 1

Sounds like a fun project.  As far as cam PM TeamRude and ask about his special 40/402 cams.  An off-the-shelf 40mc/402 cam is a fantastic cam for low-mid and still goes to the rev limiter but Terry's cams will even better if you want to move the power from the bottom to the top just a bit.

• Like 2

Who is Team Rude? Is there a Team Polite we should be aware of?  --L*64

TeamRude is Terry Miller of Miller Vintage Cycle.  The man has likely discarded more racing knowledge than most of us could ever learn.  He also has +4mm and +6mm stroker cranks for our 230s.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 2

TeamRude is Terry Miller of Miller Vintage Cycle. The man has likely discarded more racing knowledge than most of us could ever learn. He also has +4mm and +6mm stroker cranks for our 230s.

Terry is far from being rude, actually very easy to talk to but his engine builds are extremely rude to all unsuspecting riders who manage to get close to his rear wheel. (Like during the start) Beware!

I will add that he is a major player in the resurrection/continuation of Powroll.

I for one am very happy to have his skills available to me.

He really knows air cooled Hondas well. ( and so much more)

• Like 4

Terry is far from being rude, actually very easy to talk to but his engine builds are extremely rude to all unsuspecting riders who manage to get close to his rear wheel. (Like during the start) Beware!

I will add that he is a major player in the resurrection/continuation of Powroll.

I for one am very happy to have his skills available to me.

He really knows air cooled Hondas well. ( and so much more)

+1000!

That's an good question.... My 2005 CRF150f is a trail bike or a play bike that I embarrass XR and MX bikes with....just like my 230f

But I have never officially raced in an event.

I suppose that it would make a good race bike in the 852t class but I have 230 f wheels on it so maybe in the 250 class....

But that would not be fair since it's just a 150f...

Lol

There is a new class sweeping the nation call 2x4 class. 2 valves, 4-stroke, air-cooled. Been making stuff for rowdy XR200's, The BBR chassis with a gnarly CRF230 may be the killer in class!!!!!

• Like 1

"TEAMRUDE" was name of our old offraod race team. Larry Rosselar even rode a race with us because of one of our injured riders. and he liked name. Name just kind of stuck over the years. Most of old team became at minimum "A" class if not AA riders. Quite a few championships from that little team from southern Oregon.

• Like 5

I will definitely run my cam selection past him. I will race the bike this year, but I will be building the original kickstart 150F I have sitting around into my race bike. This 150/230F homologation will be my practice bike at that point. Therefore I want to keep it simple and reliable. It will likely get 80 + hours of riding time per year, and I don't mean trail riding either! 

MarkMC2-- I race my 150F's in the local pit/play bike races. If the 2 valve air cooled thing keeps gaining momentum, I'd run an XR600 with no motor mods in that race! Hahaha! I think it puts out 40 horse, so it won't need any!

On a side note-- did you see the new bike BBR built? They did great, but it needs a Honda motor!  --L*64

There is a guy here, Millwood, who has taken a 150F and put a 280cc (or bigger) motor in it, Looks dead stock. Runs it in "AllSports" races, which are indoor, short track motard races. Bored, stroked, cam, etc.

• Like 1

Any info on that 2 X 4 racing? Is it just woods, scrambles, or enduro type stuff? Or do they have MX? I was looking online and didn't see anything?  --L*64

• Like 1

Luckystar64, 

I would think just about any mod (aside from hi-comp pistons), would be great and not affect longevity.  These bikes are solid.  What mods to do?  Oh geez.  How much time do you have?  :)

Also, I guess it depends on what you want to do.  If you are racing, then you want speed so a bigger carb might do it.  If you want to cut weight, an aluminum sprocket or kickstand would be big weight savers.  Lightened flywheel.  Personally, I think new tires is always a wonderful mod that everyone forgets.  New rubber is so cool.

Update-- I'll have all the parts ordered or here by the end of the week, other than the cam. I'm looking for some advice on what cam to run.

I sent the fork springs and damping rods to Bruce Triplett, and ordered a Hagon shock. I'm a little nervous about how this shock is going to work out. I like to run a SPECIFIC spring rate. I don't love that Hagon has one spring rate for 140-250 lb. riders. I handed the ball off to Bruce with my info, and I'll let him do what he does, and see how I like it. I was running a Hlebo modded stock shock/spring, with Hlebo modded damping rods and a .44/stock spring combo, and it worked well on the 150F I'd been riding and racing. We'll see if what Bruce and Hagon come up with works better than what I had.

Hopefully I'll get some fab work done on the frame this week while I wait for the suspension to get back from Bruce.  --L*64

• Like 1

PM "Teamrude" for a cam that suites your needs exactly. He is the "Cam Man" for your bike.

• Like 2