Sign in to follow this  

Should I get out of dirt and onto the road?

Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 16. I own a 2004 ktm 125sx, and I have a pretty big decision to make. I'm conflicted on whether or not I should keep my baby, get into racing (which has been a long time goal/ dream of mine), or sell her, get a pretty nice sport/naked bike, and start getting onto the road? I understand I may need to throw a little money into buying a new bike with such an outdated one, but I'm just looking for some general opinions of what I should do? Any outlook would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's really a personal choice.

If you're not sure, just wait and take notice what you catch yourself staring off into the horizon daydreaming about.

• Like 1

I'm in the same predicament.

Maybe a on/off road 450? You get the best of both worlds.

Really interested in what you choose.

• Like 1

You don't need a new bike. Go to your closest offroad race as a spectator. Lots of guys on bikes older than yours.

Completely different to ride on the road. Easily deadly and you have much less freedom. Tickets can eat you alive you under 21.

Edited by seer
  • Like 1

No. I went through this just last year. I just posted a thread about selling my bike and regretting it. I rode dirt since I was 11-12 and I'm 22 now. I went and took a road course class and got my motorcycle license and didn't use it for three years. Last year I was in a money pinch and sold my beloved 98 YZ250. I had bills to pay and needed the money so I sold it. I didn't feel bad at first but now I kick myself everyday. I started a new job recently which pays excellent and I got a FZ6 street bike. I love it to death, but there is a part of me which belongs in the woods. You, there's probably a part of you that belongs on the track you just don't know it yet. This coming spring I'm going to get another YZ250 and get back into it, but think over it carefully. On the road there are many more things to go wrong, insurance to pay, speeding tickets and everything that comes with young riders on sport bikes. I am in no way saying your a young rider who's going to do a buck thirty and blow wheelies it's just when you have 100+ horse power and you have a stretch of highway it's hard to not give it a bit of throttle. In the woods you can rip in fifth gear and no one will bat an eye complaining unless your unsafe about it. That's how I am at least with so much power you can't utilize it all. On the track and trails they are meant to give it full throttle and have a blast. Road riding is smooth and fun, but just as if not MORE dangerous then woods. And I apologize for horrible grammar and sentence structure I'm on my phone and just typing everything at once is more convenient. But honestly think about it.

Edited by YZ2Smoker98
  • Like 1

With the amount of people, texting, eating, doing their makeup and just plain out being dumbasses on the road I would never ride road, too dangerous for my liking. It really is up to you and what you think you will do more. I sold my bike a few years back and regret it every single day just because it gave me a freedom away from everything. 

• Like 4

Just a thought of what applied to me….. I stayed in the dirt till I was in my 30’s……Knew myself well enough to know that I lacked the discipline for street riding. Yes, had motorcycle license and road the occasional bud’s street bikes, and finally went street and enjoy it immensely, but its a different mind-set of riding.

If ya fancy the trill of getting hard on the gas, stay dirt or get licensed-up and go close course racing.   

Best of fortune 

I would stay on the dirt for thrills. Street bikes are much more dangerous. I finally got a street bike at 35 (a R1 at that). I was like pez, I knew I would get in trouble on one or get hurt. Ive had it for about 4 months and already had a very close call when a car pulled out in front of me. Its fun, but very dangerous and deadly. Add all the cars and traffic laws and you get a losing proposition. It would be awesome to ride road tracks on a sportbike though, but unless your rich and live near a track most people cant do that regularly.

I Have had my MC license since 1972.

I have 3 street bikes.

I NEVER EVER ride on the street.  Except to connect one forest service road to another. 

I have too many things left on my bucket list to get killed by a dumbass driver.

Take a look here and spend an hour reading the stories :

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/face-plant.17/

Do you really want to put your Mom and Dad thru the grief of have you killed on a motorcycle?

Way too much risk on the street, not really worth it. You could ride years and not have a problem or be in a serious situation in your first week... not worth it.

BUT.... if you are hell bent on street riding, you absolutely MUST take a safety course, it could save your life.

Been there done that. Being on the road is dangerous, and no way to "relax".   Riding in the middle of threw the middle of the woods with just you and your friends is the most relaxing thing ever...even though your having a blast. 

Hopefully my skill on a track gets better next year, I may never ride on the road again. 

Dirt is so much more fun. I had an R6 many years ago. It was fun too, but constantly worrying about other drivers and tickets takes a lot of the fun out of it. Also, the part where I had a driver pull out in front of me really sucked. I broke my neck and arm and quit breathing until they cut a hole in my neck. I stick to the dirt where I can go as fast as I want and I usually only have myself to blame for any crashes. Even if another rider is involved in me crashing, at least it isn't broadsiding a truck at 50 mph. When I am 60 and my grandkids have grown, I can see me getting a goldwing to cruise around on. But, until then, I will get my adrenaline fix in the dirt.

Stay with dirt for now. Buy a cheap bike hauler and go racing. Then once you do that, mature, realise what's at stake go find yourself a street bike if you still have the bug.

• Like 1

I started on the street at 15 and moved into the dirt a little later (4 wheels was the opposite order).

Dirt riding is so much more enjoyable. Street is fun, but it requires 110% attention, and it's a bit restrictive when compared to dirt.

You can get a ticket for pulling wheelies on the street, for accelerating too fast ("excessive speed" bs), and speeding (I am in NO WAY endorsing these activities).

On the dirt, you can grip it and go. 

Also, on pavement, every single person is trying to kill you.

• Like 2

You're asking a bunch of dirt bike riders if you should give it up for a street bike?

• Like 3

I'd say save up a little longer for the street bike and keep the SX too. No regrets.