Sign in to follow this  

Getting of the dirt and onto the road?

Hey guys,

I'm about to turn 16. I own a 2004 ktm 125sx, and I have a pretty big decision to make. I'm conflicted on whether or not I should keep my baby, get into racing (which has been a long time goal/ dream of mine), or sell her, get a pretty nice sport/naked bike, and start getting onto the road? I understand I may need to throw a little money into buying a new bike with such an outdated one, but I'm just looking for some general opinions of what I should do? Any outlook would be much appreciated. Thanks. Also, if yes, what's a good starting bike? I'd most likely only have money for a 250, as money for me is tight right now.

Edited by Bbarron125sx

What I will recommend is that your first street bike be used and definitely 500 or less. Sure it's possible to learn on something bigger but smaller bikes are more fun and forgiving for learning! Also it being used means cheaper insurance and that first scratches are already there so you can just focus on learning and the most likely drop that happens to most. Selling your bike is something only you can decide but look on craigslist and you'll realize that more bikes fit your budget than you think.

• Like 2

I'm 16 an just bought a gsxr600rr bored to a 660 with a full Vance Hines 4:1 exhaust tuned and race ready. All it needed was a tire. 1100 bucks. I hit 162 down the highway last night. People think I'm nuts cuz I jumped from a xr100 to a gsxr660. But I'm fine on it because I know how to ride very well. You could start on a r1 if you have the skill of riding. I would advise a 600. Maybe a older one that's carbureted to learn on. There a bit forgiving, just gotta ease into it. First time I ever rode a bike it was a ninja 500. Get what you think you can handle because no one knows you better than you.

I'm 16 an just bought a gsxr600rr bored to a 660 with a full Vance Hines 4:1 exhaust tuned and race ready. All it needed was a tire. 1100 bucks. I hit 162 down the highway last night. People think I'm nuts cuz I jumped from a xr100 to a gsxr660. But I'm fine on it because I know how to ride very well. You could start on a r1 if you have the skill of riding. I would advise a 600. Maybe a older one that's carbureted to learn on. There a bit forgiving, just gotta ease into it. First time I ever rode a bike it was a ninja 500. Get what you think you can handle because no one knows you better than you.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea. In the grand scheme of things, you're lucky, and luck isn't the best safety program on the road. 

• Like 2

If you're 16 and $$ is any kind of an issue (i.e..your parents aren't into heavily financing your street venture), any kind of a sport bike bigger than a Ninja 250 is going to be an incredibly expensive thing. Insurance alone can cost more than the monthly payment on a newer 600 (I know guys in their 20's who are married and own homes, and are still paying $2500 to $3000 per year for full coverage on a 600). Tires are roughly $300 per set, and sport tires, if you ride easily (and who rides easily on a sport bike), might last 4500 miles at most. Basic gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots) will be another several hundred $$ up front. Sport bikes in general aren't for the weak of bank account.

Perfect example of what not to do, above is the reason why sport bike riders are hated by most other drivers, speed like that should be kept on the track, not risking everyone else on public roads. You should lose your license and thrown in jail for what you did.