Sign in to follow this  

Finishes for Clutch/Ignition covers

Ok guys so this is my first post here and I wanted some opinions. I have a 2011 kx450 and the clutch and ignition covers were looking quite worn. So i sanded what was left of the stock powder coat and painted it flat black. Well it looked nice until the first ride and a lot of the paint wore off. What i would like to know is, what are some of the most durable options for finishes? I thought about extra thick powder coating or possibly rhino liner like they use on truck beds? Either way i will have the covers sandblasted first. I'm open to other options as well. Thanks

Unless you putt around, and constantly make sure you boots don't rub on them, nothing will last very long; including Rhino Liner.

You may consider sand blasting them for a textured looked, or sand and polish them with Mothers.

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED

Who cares about durability..... Polish that sucker...

Then it always looks good.

Like WW posted ^, no surface coating will last if you ride it hard.

Here's a KLX110 stator cover I blasted the PC off of, then polished. If it starts looking crappy, I just rub the bling back in..

DSC02858.jpg

• Like 2

One one of my Honda's, I sprayed red paint across the embossed letters, then sanded and polished.

I used a similar tactic except I used powdercoat powder in lieu of paint. Nothing will hold up against your boots constantly grinding against the surface.

DSCN0192-1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I think i will just end up getting the covers sand blasted and then polish them as soon as I can deal with my bike being un-rideable for a few weeks

If I recall, I noticed fellow riders putting 3-m clear adhesive vinal on their number plates to protect their numbers, I would think a nice anodized as the gent stated above, plus that thick clear 3-m on those high wear parts might help. Just keep the pattern cut n replace after its damaged.