Sign in to follow this  

Weird noise or just me

OK so I've fixed quite a few things on this bike already but something still stumps me . This noise I hear on the video is like a metal tapping or slapping sound. Things I've checked are valve adjustments, Cam chain tensioner, cam chain. Any ideas to help me pinpoint this or anyone experienced the same issue , or this could be how the bike sounds , i don't know just doesn't sound right to me. My guess is maybe timings a little off or tensioner isn't fully working all the way, or its time for a new cam chain and sprocket and hopefully not valves .

Watch "Crf150f" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/0WeBI-6Uh1o

I'm thinking double check valve adjustment and cct is pretty easy to check take it out make sure it springs back on its own. How many miles?

I've only had the bike for a few months under 20 hrs or ride time . Checked the valves. Double and triple checked lol . And I did check to make sure it sprang back on its own. I was looking at my cam sprocket and looked like it COULD of possibly been slightly off time . Idk though I'm not an expert.

I've never seen another 150f in person to compare but I've seen other 4 stroke bikes and it's definitely noisy so it concerned me a little.

Also is it correct that the valve settings are .004 and .001? I put both mine at .004 which is what they are currently at.

Clearance is .004, plus or minus .001, that's what the + & - means you can be .001 either side of the .004 & still be in spec's.

Sure sounds noisy, idle's a bit high, I'd get a mechanic to have a listen, too many probabilities to advise over the internet.

OK they're both at .004 , I'm still messing with the hot idle set. Haven't had much time to start or ride it since I put a new fuel screw in , and I was hoping to find someone with a similar problem or had one, or possibly with the knowledge on things to check . But I suppose I may just have to take it to one. They're kinda pricey out where I live. But I'm really thinking it's a cam chain or something like that . Any other input would be nice.

OK they're both at .004 , I'm still messing with the hot idle set. Haven't had much time to start or ride it since I put a new fuel screw in , and I was hoping to find someone with a similar problem or had one, or possibly with the knowledge on things to check . But I suppose I may just have to take it to one. They're kinda pricey out where I live. But I'm really thinking it's a cam chain or something like that . Any other input would be nice.

You can get away with .003 on the intake valve.

But that's it.

If they are adjusted correctly, ride it and don't worry about it, just make sure that the cam chain and tensioner are both in good condition and working properly.

You can get away with .003 on the intake valve.

But that's it.

If they are adjusted correctly, ride it and don't worry about it, just make sure that the cam chain and tensioner are both in good condition and working properly.

Did you see the video?

Just did now, back to the drawing board sir, serious issues are lurking based on the severe noise in that video!

Don't ride it again until problem is solved!

It could be very expensive if you continue ride it like that!

Lol so where to start checking ? I'm not sure. Because I've checked cct . It sprung back fine. Valves are adjusted , cam chain looked fine and tight.

Sounds horrible. Have heard crank/wristpin make similar noises but most common on older bikes is rocker/cam being chewed away.  Take light and look through valve cover at cam lobe itself. Bet it is not smooth and rocker arm is shot. By the way you do have oil in it correct??? 

• Like 2

Sounds horrible. Have heard crank/wristpin make similar noises but most common on older bikes is rocker/cam being chewed away. Take light and look through valve cover at cam lobe itself. Bet it is not smooth and rocker arm is shot. By the way you do have oil in it correct???

I was just talking to a mechanic and he said probably worn rocker arms and or cam lobes. I also noticed it was coming from the top end . Yes , bike does have oil in it lol. I've only got the bike a month or two ago and has had this noise. Though not near as bad when I first got it . So I do have a service manual. Should I just pull the whole top cover off and have a look? Or just though the valve hole covers ?

I'm guessing p.o probably ran it to low on oil. Idk or is it possible the top end isn't getting the proper amount of oil ? Is there a way to check ?

Once cam/rocker goes bad there is no stopping it. If I was to guess, somebody ran it low or out of oil. They put oil back in and sold it before "real" issues became obvious. If you can look though valve cover and see cam it will be obvious. If not then pull top part of head off. If rocker/cam is going bad then you can have a new one made at WebCams. Rockers are cheap.

There is always possibility no oil is getting to head. Small oil orifice at base of cases. Those can plug very easily by foreign material or excessive silicone seal was used. 

Once cam/rocker goes bad there is no stopping it. If I was to guess, somebody ran it low or out of oil. They put oil back in and sold it before "real" issues became obvious. If you can look though valve cover and see cam it will be obvious. If not then pull top part of head off. If rocker/cam is going bad then you can have a new one made at WebCams. Rockers are cheap.

There is always possibility no oil is getting to head. Small oil orifice at base of cases. Those can plug very easily by foreign material or excessive silicone seal was used.

hmmm ....sounds spot on lol . Well when I got the bike the Kickstarter spring was worn and had to be replaced . Had a buddy do it and he did use silicone gasket. This is sounding like a nightmare quick , what would be the best way to check if oil is getting to the top end and if anythings plugged how to go about cleaning . He did that on the right case to be more specific. I will check rocker arms and cam lobes tomorrow after work. Most likely I'm guessing those will need replaced. And centri oil filter change. The rocker arms will be worn right above the cam? Chipped , scratched ect?