Sign in to follow this  

Best ktm exc for motard/off road use?

Hi,

I'm currently on a ktm 640 lc4 motard but wanting something a bit lighter on and off the road.

I'm trying to decide between the exc 400, 450, and 525.

I'm wanting to do more off road riding but also don't have a car so need something that can handle the road for a while to get there. If it's anything too far away, I'll trailer it but I will most likely have it set up motard most of the time.

Options

400- seems like a lot of fun and would probly be my choice for off road, seems quite manageable and feels lightest.

450- seems like a good compromise of on and off road but not as fun in the tighter stuff

525- sounds like hell of a lot of fun as a motard but would this be too much for a relatively newer rider off road/dirt.

Basically want to improve my off road riding more so the smaller the bike the better as long as they can take a bit of road use too?

If maintenance is just changing the oil and checking the valves then I can live with that as I won't be commuting everyday, just here and there.

Looking at the older models with the RFS engine as they're cheaper and more reliable

Thanks

Hi,

I'm currently on a ktm 640 lc4 motard but wanting something a bit lighter on and off the road.

I'm trying to decide between the exc 400, 450, and 525.

I'm wanting to do more off road riding but also don't have a car so need something that can handle the road for a while to get there. If it's anything too far away, I'll trailer it but I will most likely have it set up motard most of the time.

Options

400- seems like a lot of fun and would probly be my choice for off road, seems quite manageable and feels lightest.

450- seems like a good compromise of on and off road but not as fun in the tighter stuff

525- sounds like hell of a lot of fun as a motard but would this be too much for a relatively newer rider off road/dirt.

Basically want to improve my off road riding more so the smaller the bike the better as long as they can take a bit of road use too?

If maintenance is just changing the oil and checking the valves then I can live with that as I won't be commuting everyday, just here and there.

Looking at the older models with the RFS engine as they're cheaper and more reliable

Thanks

400 or 450 for tighter trails. 525 wouldn't be a bad thing for open stuff.

I bet you"ll have fun and get done what you want to get done on any of those bikes. I have the 400 exc and its great on the track and trail for me. I would think it would be a good bike for the road to since it has 6 gears and has two oil pumps, and two oil filters so in thoery should be able to take those long monotoness journey's

A stock 525 is a &%$#@! cat. I let my then 14 year old ride it. Fat, tall, top heavy and poor handling but easy to handle power. A lighter flywheel is better.

Edited by seer