Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding 05 crf250r completely

Hey I'm making this forum for my rebuild and will include all updates and will need help along the way with what parts to get and other help. My goal is to be affordable and reliable!!

Tomorrow I am buying a blown bottom end that has a ton of extra parts. I will use this case and the usable parts for my engine. It includes a head and two cylinders that need repair (not sure if hone or replating, but I will inspect them when I buy)

So i will start out with the bottom end- hot rods crank? Or should I buy the wiseco crank and piston kit, which is cheaper.

I will post pictures and updates of the condition of the parts tomorrow, then I can see what I really need to buy.

Wiseco pistons and clutch baskets are good but like they said stay away from their cranks.

Look up the wrench rabbit kits if you're on a budget, you can get a hotrods crank, vertex piston kit and every bearing, seal and gasket you need for just over $500 shipped.

• Like 1

Wiseco pistons and clutch baskets are good but like they said stay away from their cranks.

Look up the wrench rabbit kits if you're on a budget, you can get a hotrods crank, vertex piston kit and every bearing, seal and gasket you need for just over $500 shipped.

Ok thanks I'll probably do that then. Do you know what sizes for bearing puller?

Ok thanks I'll probably do that then. Do you know what sizes for bearing puller?

I bought a tusk one that works fine. Not sure the exact size you need but the kit from them has a variety of attachments that work for just about every applicable bearing in the bottom end.

It's been a while so how everything looks isn't fresh on my mind but I think you can probably get away with heating the cases and tapping the bearings out. For putting them in you can rent a seal driver kit from an auto parts store.

Also, new cylinders are like $190-$200 so you are better off buying one than paying for a replate if the bore is damaged. If it appears okay it'd be a good idea to take it to a machine shop and have them measure for taper and out of round. I did my rebuild with all oem parts... if you go that route you can save ~20% by ordering from partzilla as opposed to rockymountain or motosport.

Also, permatex gasket remover will save you a lot of headache.

Edited by problem_child

I bought a tusk one that works fine. Not sure the exact size you need but the kit from them has a variety of attachments that work for just about every applicable bearing in the bottom end.

It's been a while so how everything looks isn't fresh on my mind but I think you can probably get away with heating the cases and tapping the bearings out. For putting them in you can rent a seal driver kit from an auto parts store.

Also, new cylinders are like $190-$200 so you are better off buying one than paying for a replate if the bore is damaged. If it appears okay it'd be a good idea to take it to a machine shop and have them measure for taper and out of round. I did my rebuild with all oem parts... if you go that route you can save ~20% by ordering from partzilla as opposed to rockymountain or motosport.

Also, permatex gasket remover will save you a lot of headache.

Ok I'll see what's cheaper for oem but I'll probably do the wrench rabbit kit because I've heard good things about hot rods crank. Cylinder I'll do oem for $240.

Thanks for the advice

Ok so I bought a bunch of engine parts a couple nights ago and am putting it together to make sure I have every part and washer so I can make a big order. The parts include a pair of cases, and like 1 1/2 of all the parts for 2 engines. The cylinders are toast so I will buy a new oem, but first I need to know the year! The numbers on the left case were removed... Does anyone know what I can look for so I can tell what year?

Thanks

Cylinders are the same from 2004 to 2009.  It is smart to shop around for the best price, Motosport and RMATV may not have the best price but I know RMATV will price match (another retailer, not an ebay listing).  I order all my parts through them to get their reward points. 

Cylinders are the same from 2004 to 2009.  It is smart to shop around for the best price, Motosport and RMATV may not have the best price but I know RMATV will price match (another retailer, not an ebay listing).  I order all my parts through them to get their reward points.

Do you know what parts may be different or any way I can tell what year? Because I've heard that the crank seals and dogs on the main shaft are slightly different for 09, and that's all I know that's different... I'm sure there's other stuff that's why I'm asking

Thanks

Not sure what may or may not have changed from year to year.  You can always go to motosport (I have the best luck with their website) and lookup part numbers.  Use their search box to look up the part number and it will tell you what years it will fit.

So what exactly are you reusing from the blown up motor?  And did you just buy a blown motor or a 2005 with a blown motor?  Just trying to get a better idea of what your working with.

• Like 1

08 piston will work has higher compression ratio

gaskets and crank should be the same

If you are doing a valve job you can use upgraded 08 parts

I think the 04 and possibly 05 has a different oil squirter you might wanna look into that

Edited by problem_child

Not sure what may or may not have changed from year to year. You can always go to motosport (I have the best luck with their website) and lookup part numbers. Use their search box to look up the part number and it will tell you what years it will fit.

So what exactly are you reusing from the blown up motor? And did you just buy a blown motor or a 2005 with a blown motor? Just trying to get a better idea of what your working with.

My origional plan was to buy a friends 05 rolling chassis, but he decided to keep it so now im rebuilding a motor that i bought off craigslist in pieces. Now im trying to rebuild the motor and find a rolling chassis. So to answer your question, the 05 has nothing to do with anything now...

Also where are you reading the part numbers to type into motosport?

The stuff im using from the blown motor is:

-Cases, ill upload a pic of the left one because its iffy

-Transsmision

-Balancer, drive gears, oil pump, shifting stuff etc

-Planning on using the head(im pretty sure its ok)

-3 of the 4 valves are bent so ill be replacing all of them- should i go oem?

-Should i get a new cam chain? Not sure how to know if its time

-side covers

-Ill buy new bearings seals and gaskets

-crank

-piston

-valves

Does anyone know if theres an oem gasket kit where its cheaper as a package? It says gasket kit A and B but its just a list of them!

And what kind of rewards does rmatvmc offer? I thought it was just $50 for every $1000 u spend

you can look up the part numbers in the OEM parts diagrams.  Not knowing what year the motor is will make things challenging, but if the cases are ok, it shouldn't be too bad.  the big parts (crank, piston) should fit from 2004-2009.

Rmatvmc does 50 dollars for every 1000 points.  Points are on a tier.  for the first 1000 dollars its 1 dollar = 1 point.  after that its 2 points per dollar up to 2500 dollars (i think), then goes to 3 points per dollars and if you really buy a lot you can get to 4 points per dollar.  points don't roll over to next year tho, but any reward dollars earned will.  I'm at the point where every 333 dollars i spend i get 50 bucks back.  (rebuilt my bike at the beginning of the year)

Absolutely replace the cam chain.  have the head checked, if 3 valves are bent check the guides.  it could be easier and possibly cheaper to just buy a new head.  I went that route and got a new one from bigborethumpers.com with Stainless valves installed for 575.

Thanks for the advice onekidneywonder!

I wasnt expecting to buy a whole new head, but ill bring my head to a honda dealer near me.

The guy who sold the parts to me said that he paid $260 to get the seats recut or redone? I forgot what he called it. Looking at them there was deffinenty work done because ots vert clean and smooth. No carbon coloring for the most part.

Does anyone know a way to check? If not i may have to drop 600...

Going through all the parts I wrote down to buy and am using the oem drawings. They don't have an orifice for the oil on any of the models before 09 and I can't find any on eBay. Is the 09 compatible?

I would get some solid numbers together before you pull the trigger on anything.  If you aren't sure what year the motor you have is, it could lead to problems halfway through the build.  And if you do need a case half and cylinder (and maybe even a head)  your going to have a lot of money into a motor that you don't have a frame to put it in.  I don't know how much you paid for the blown up motor, but I would consider cutting your losses now and just look for a complete bike.  I don't know what the used bike market is where you are, but I haven't seen to many rolling chassis near me.  But you can find 2004-2006 or even 2007 complete bikes that are in decent shape for 2500 or less (a 04-05 could easily be picked up for 1800-2000 near me)

As far as the head you have goes....did he have them recut and then never installed new valves?  Who did he have do them?  MXTime.com (reputable place for mx head work) charges 105 bucks to cut all 4 seats (plus 15 to ship it back, and whatever it costs to ship it there)  260 seems pricey, unless he had more than just the seats cut.  Its prolly worth having a shop take a look at it.

What do you mean by orifice for the oil?

That will be the tricky part is figuring out what is the same and what isn't, and what may be different but will still work.  Sounds like a lot of headache to me