Sign in to follow this  

XR600 clover leaf combustion chamber

HI

can be made it with low heat propane gas soldering aluminium rods/sticks ???

will not destroy it when engine will run on hight temp ignition???

cloverleafhead021-1650lhead-1.jpg

combustion.jpg

• Like 1

HI

That cannot be done with a soldering process.  It must be a TIG weld then machined correctly.

....then machined correctly. --- i know about it , but- really cant do it soldering propane?????

....then machined correctly. --- i know about it , but- really cant do it soldering propane?????

using a gas to weld aluminum isnt practical. the heat cannot be controlled enough, the whole thing would melt away. besides, propane would not heat it high enough.

You cannot do it with propane or by soldering.  It must be welded.  

TIG is the only practical process.  There are others but there would be no need to waste time and risk the poor quality results.  The picture you show was done using the TIG process.

Pretty sure the cumulative heat of combustion would override the temp achieved by soldering and melt the cloverleaf quench right out the exhaust ports assuming it was even possible to accomplish the soldering process.

That looks like a Cycle Wizard Cloverleaf Combustion chamber head.

I have one for the XR600. Fresh valve job, ported, short guides for a big cam, Kibblewhite springs.

HI

nice looking big fin head in the background.

tlenek,

Using propane is not practical for this job, Tig is the only way to go, the reason is propane will not give you the amount of localised heat for a decent weld,

without  the aluminium oxidizing. Go and get your self some scrap ali and give it go then you`ll understand why you need tig, the argon gas in tig welding acts as a shield preventing the oxygen in the atmosphere reacting with the molten metal which would want to burn and not just melt.

A good welder using Tig is worth paying for so use a professional, and not a guy down the road who thinks he knows how to do it.

I hope this information is correct and of use.   

• Like 1