Sign in to follow this  

Oil change

Could someone explain how to do a oil change on a 04 450r,and what oil to use

1. On the left side of the engine remove the crank drain bolt on the bottom right of the alternator cover. Then the trans drain just to the right of it but on the engine. Remove the oil fill caps so it all drains out.

2. Remove the two oil filter cover bolts then the whole assembly.

3. Install drain bolts, do not over tighten.

4. Install new filter and cover.

5. Measure and install both oils.*

6. Buy manual (s).

* I use Honda HP4M (w/moly) 10 W 40 in crank and their trans oil.

Edited by HRC27

ive used shell rotella T 15w40 on both sides for 8 years now with 0 problems.  might be a bit cheaper than buying that honda oil at 15$ a liter.

buy a 5 gallon pail from walmart for 50$ and youre good for a few years.

buy paper oil filters in bulk. theyre always good to have.

change the filter every 3 oil changes.

RIP THE FILTER APART when you remove it, and spread the paper out so you can check between the creases for any debris. 

2zibse9.jpg

I put 750ml in the engine side. and 800ml in the clutch side.  50 ml extra in each side, just in case ;)

Edited by coryf89

ive used shell rotella T 15w40 on both sides for 8 years now with 0 problems. might be a bit cheaper than buying that honda oil at 15$ a liter.

buy a 5 gallon pail from walmart for 50$ and youre good for a few years.

buy paper oil filters in bulk. theyre always good to have.

change the filter every 3 oil changes.

RIP THE FILTER APART when you remove it, and spread the paper out so you can check between the creases for any debris.

2zibse9.jpg

somebody needs a bath!!

use new washers on the bolts and just snug, do not overtighten the plugs or they can stripe easily. 9nm is more than enough.

new washers isnt critical... ive been using the same one on mine for 8 years now. prob close to 50-75 oil changes. 

but def do not over tighten them.  

Edited by coryf89

I never understood why the Honda manual says to replace the washer every time (and the oring)....seems really excessive.

• Like 1

its a money maker for them.  same reason they say to replace the piston every 25 hours. aka every 5 rides.... every month really.

my o ring on my 05 is quite chewed up.  still seals though!!  they can take a hell of a beating.

I ordered a 102$ order from the TT store.   forgot to add the 2 oil filter o rings for an extra 6$.  emailed TT and they added the 2 o rings to my order for free!!!!   now THATS customer service.  now ive got enough o rings to last another 20 years :p

ya I don't every time but the metal does anneal under pressure so it hardens and is not as pliable after repeated use. Copper does it more than alum. you can feel the difference if you tighten a used one then tighten a new one. At takes more torque to get that good seal feel on used ones. But hey to each his own. The ones I have on now got the first two oil changes so they are on the third and probably last one before I change them. The filter O has never been changed but I have a new one ready incase it weeps or looks damaged.

Edited by ramjetV8