2005 "E Model" question

So, I recently acquired a near mint 2005 DRZ400e. Now this isnt my first E, I had a 2001 a while back which was an absolute animal, but got rid of it to move on to better things (2009 Husky TE510) and then got rid of that because it was just too expensive to maintain, the drz seemed like the best bang for my buck type bike - regardless of what everyone thinnks that I shouldn't have gotten rid of the Husky. Now my question lies with what mods are necessary to get the most out of this bike given what it already has. Now I've done my homework and am aware of the general 3x3 mod, re jetting and so on. But, upon further look of my bike I have taken notice that it has the Keihin Slant carb, and the air box already seems to be pretty wide on the top, which doesnt look as though the previous owner had done it, being that he was a pretty old gentlemen and the bike saw little time on the trails, if at all out of the garage. The bike does, however seem to have the baffle taken out of it and doesnt have any jetting issues that appear to me upon riding, no backfire, throttle lag, etc. The owner did provide a Leo Vince X3 that was never put on, it's only the midpipe and silencer, no headpipe, I was wondering if its worth it to put on. Just trying to get some pretty definitive answers on what I should do, if anything at all. I can provide pictures if necessary. Thanks in advace.

So, I recently acquired a near mint 2005 DRZ400e. Now this isnt my first E, I had a 2001 a while back which was an absolute animal, but got rid of it to move on to better things (2009 Husky TE510) and then got rid of that because it was just too expensive to maintain, the drz seemed like the best bang for my buck type bike - regardless of what everyone thinnks that I shouldn't have gotten rid of the Husky. Now my question lies with what mods are necessary to get the most out of this bike given what it already has. Now I've done my homework and am aware of the general 3x3 mod, re jetting and so on. But, upon further look of my bike I have taken notice that it has the Keihin Slant carb, and the air box already seems to be pretty wide on the top, which doesnt look as though the previous owner had done it, being that he was a pretty old gentlemen and the bike saw little time on the trails, if at all out of the garage. The bike does, however seem to have the baffle taken out of it and doesnt have any jetting issues that appear to me upon riding, no backfire, throttle lag, etc. The owner did provide a Leo Vince X3 that was never put on, it's only the midpipe and silencer, no headpipe, I was wondering if its worth it to put on. Just trying to get some pretty definitive answers on what I should do, if anything at all. I can provide pictures if necessary. Thanks in advace.

The leo will open up the exhaust just a bit, most of the restriction on a DRZ was in the head pipe but that has E header so now the restriction (if really any) is in the muffler! it'll def be louder and depending on who you are will sound better. I believe the E doesnt need 3x3 because it doesnt have snorkel but maybe im wrong. First thing i would do is change all the fluids, loctite mods, MCCT(not required but recommend), slap on the Leo and jet (if needed), and then just ride the snot out of it. If the FCR isn't clapped out then i wouldn't do anything else to it unless you wanted more power (BB, stroker crank, more aggressive cam), to ride better (Wide ration gear kit, suspension) or Looks (headlight, Sumo wheels, graphics).

• Like 3

The E did come with a rubber insert (snorkel) in the air box.  Once it is removed, it has the 3 X 3, no cutting required.  Suzuki says once the snorkel is removed, change the main jet  to 165. Even with an aftermarket pipe that is probably too big.  155, 158, 160 should do it.

• Like 2