Sign in to follow this  

1979 XR80 restoration project

I am wanting to restore a 79 XR80 that my dad got as a kid and I learned to ride on as well. It has been sitting in our shop for a good 14 years since I moved up to big bikes and we could never bring ourselves to part with it. My dad and I were talking today about restoring the ole bike.. This will be a full restoration project and I'd like to get some input from you guys on different aspects of the project.. Should I upgrade to CDI or leave the point system? I have been looking around online this evening and come across xrminiracer .com, are there any other sites that specialize in late model Hondas? Also in regards to the engine, we have a 2003 XR80 that externally, the cases appears to be similar. Was there much upgrades or changes made over the years to the internals (other than point to CDI ignition)? What all engine parts are interchangeable? I'd like to take my time and do this project right. I think it would be a blast to scoot around on my classic bike and I'm sure it would turn some heads.  :goofy:

My dad said he would bring it up to my house after thanksgiving and I will post pictures when I get it here. I will also update this thread as the build progresses.

Any and all information, comments, & questions are accepted and appreciated.

If you want a fool proof ignition, definitely do the CDI conversion. I'm not sure if yours will be the same as ours was, but you can check out the post I did here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1157055-86-xr80r-shutting-down-after-riding-help-please/ It was well worth the time and expense.

As for parts interchanging, you can use MRcycles.com to look up part #s for each year and compare the parts and #s. http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/c/honda_motorcycle/parts

You can open two window tabs side by side to compare each year and model.

I had a tank powder coated a few years ago. The inside was super clean, but when they finished powder coating the outside there was a fine film of rust inside. I cleaned the inside and the coated it again with the same results. The rust can be cleared out with a light solution of muriatic acid, but, you need to rinse it out with acetone afterwards to remove the water in there after rinsing out the acid bath. The acetone WILL leave marks and streaks on any powder coating though. So you'd need to be careful not to get any on the coating.

If your capable of painting the tank, I would go that route instead of powder coating. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with the restoration.