Sign in to follow this  

The FX weighs 18 pounds more than the F. Where is the weight ?

The YZ250FX weighs 18 pounds more than the YZ250F.   249 pounds versus 231 pounds.

Where is all the added weight ?

The battery weighs 4.48 pounds.

The starter and starter gear.

The extra wiring harness, relay and cable.

Bigger radiators with more coolant in them.

O Ring chain.

6 speed transmission

Kick stand (1.76 pounds)

WR foot pegs (1 pound over YZ)

Heavier flywheel and stator

Euro exhaust pipe

Surely that doesn't add up to 18 pounds.   Where is the rest of the added weight ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

The starter and gears are 8 to 10lbs....do the math from there. It's 18lbs heavier, 248 wet weight.

MiddleLifeCrissis- 

You're coming across as there is some sort of conspiracy going on.   You need to look at it differently-  The YZ250FX is not built up from a YZ250F.  Instead, the YZ250FX is created from a WR250F with the removal of some of the WR parts and a swapping of a few YZF parts such as lower fork legs and front brake system.  Start with a WR250F and hit the "subtract" button on your calculator, and then it all makes sense.  

• Like 2

The starter and gears are 8 to 10lbs....do the math from there. It's 18lbs heavier, 248 wet weight.

No they don't.

The starter on a 2012 WR450F weighs 1.63 pounds.  The starter clutch and drive gears weigh 1.05 + 1.45 pounds = 2.50 pounds.  Total "starter" weight = 4.13 pounds.  I doubt the drive system on the FX is heavier than it is on a WR450F.

BazookaJoe: no conspiracy, just trying to understand where the weight lies and why.  Learning, not witch hunting.

IndyRider: I agree the FX feels great.  I love my FX.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

No they don't.

The starter on a 2012 WR450F weighs 1.63 pounds.  The starter clutch and drive gears weigh 1.05 + 1.45 pounds = 2.50 pounds.  Total "starter" weight = 4.13 pounds.  I doubt the drive system on the FX is heavier than it is on a WR450F.

BazookaJoe: no conspiracy, just trying to understand where the weight lies and why.  Learning, not witch hunting.

IndyRider: I agree the FX feels great.  I love my FX.

My buddy owns the dealership I bought my bike from, he and his head tech quoted a weight of 8 to 10lbs.

This is what they were told from the Yamaha techs at the launch and conference. When I rebuilt my KTM350 starter clutch, the weight of the parts was over 5lbs without the starter.

I will call him and see what he thinks about the 4lb number in your head.

I just did inventory for Beta Canada and their 4t starter motor and gear was way heavier than that. Somehow I don't think Yamaha is running the lightest system out there.

Don't overlook that the FX & WR have the WR450 flywheel and have something like a 160 watt charging system.  Those parts are going to weigh more than the YZ250F 60 watt items.

Edited by BazookaJoe

removing the kick stand and swapping the footpeg bracket to the 250f is a 2 3/4 lbs savings for $22. If I was just trail riding I would leave it on though.

Another really good option that we can all somewhat control is to train hard, have good nutrition, drink lots of water and drop 8 to 10 lbs of rider weight. 

• Like 1

My buddy owns the dealership I bought my bike from, he and his head tech quoted a weight of 8 to 10lbs.

The weights I provided were from WR450F parts removed and weighed by a digital fish scale.   Pretty accurate.

removing the kick stand and swapping the footpeg bracket to the 250f is a 2 3/4 lbs savings for $22. If I was just trail riding I would leave it on though.

The 250FX appears to use a very similar kick stand and bracket to the WR450F.    Removing the kick stand and bracket removes 1.76 pounds from a WR450F.  I weighed the parts myself.  I expect similar on the 250FX.

The foot pegs on the FX appear to be similar to the WR450F foot pegs.  They are stainless, not Ti.   Replacing them with Ti YZ pegs saves 1.0 pounds.  I did it on my WR450F.

The YZ250FX weighs 18 pounds more than the YZ250F.   249 pounds versus 231 pounds.

Where is all the added weight ?

The battery weighs 4.48 pounds.

The starter and starter gear.

The extra wiring harness, relay and cable.

Bigger radiators with more coolant in them.

O Ring chain.

6 speed transmission

Kick stand (1.76 pounds)

WR foot pegs (1 pound over YZ)

Heavier flywheel and stator

Euro exhaust pipe

Surely that doesn't add up to 18 pounds.   Where is the rest of the added weight ?

Just curious what makes you think the rads and footpegs are different? I thought the 250F was running the same rads and new 57mm footpegs.

The shock shaft is also larger, different rear fender, 90/90/21 front tire and 110/100/18 rear. The tires definitely add weight.

Lots of other small things like clutch springs, axle size etc.....they would all save weight though.

No they don't.

This is what they were told from the Yamaha techs at the launch and conference. When I rebuilt my KTM350 starter clutch, the weight of the parts was over 5lbs without the starter.
I will call him and see what he thinks about the 4lb number in your head.
I just did inventory for Beta Canada and their 4t starter motor and gear was way heavier than that. Somehow I don't think Yamaha is running the lightest system out there.

I would include the weight of the battery in the estart system.  So 4.13lbs plus 4.48lbs is 8.5lbs, plus the wiring and relays say 9-9.5lbs, right where the tech put it.  

Though as lots of people have pointed out that the claimed weight reduction of the kick start removal kit makes more sense as the weight of the estart system, 10.45lbs.  

If you use that number, 10.45lbs,  add 2.75lbs for the pegs/kickstand you have 13.2lbs of the 18lbs. That only leaves 4.2lbs for the rest of the list.

I would expect the extra transmission gear and 18" rear to be 1lb more for each, with that you are only 2.2 lbs shy of the 250f.  I suspect that 2.2lbs is sprinkled over the different frame, subframe, shock, flywheel, stator, and radiator.

BTW 2.75lbs for pegs and kickstand is great info, just stock yz250 pegs or??? thanks.

I managed to knock off 10 lbs on my FX with some thoughtful mods and still have the kick and electric start. I can feel the difference in the tight stuff as most of it was high up on the bike.

• Like 1

I managed to knock off 10 lbs on my FX with some thoughtful mods and still have the kick and electric start. I can feel the difference in the tight stuff as most of it was high up on the bike.

That's a good saving that you've made there :)

Mind me asking what you changed as I'm thinking of buying a WR soon and whilst everyone says the weight of them is fine (especially on the move) if there are easy gains / savings to be made I'd be interested in making them myself.

details Glen details......