Sign in to follow this  

New 2011 Crf250 set-up suspension and moral support again…...

I'm in mourning a bit as I just sold my 300 EXC as I wanted to fall in love with this Japanese girl with fuel injection! I sold a really nice Yamaha YZ250f for the KTM. The KTM was a 2T, kinda tall and too pipey for an old fart like me. (55 yrs young). The Honda feels really good between my legs too! Rode it at a local track and enjoyed it. The KTM, was to put it bluntly, scary fast! More a desert/hare-hound kinda bike. So I broke up and I'm moving on. The KTM got a really great home…...

So, on the fork: top is compression? bottom is rebound? if so, by going counter-clockwise I'm slowing each? so for a "softer old man ride"-aka trails not tracks and doubles, about 4-6 clicks out (from counter-clockwise all the way out) 

On the rear shock: top is compression? bottom is rebound? if so, by going counter-clockwise I'm slowing each? And high speed is 1 3/4 now. 

If someone has a good set-up to start with, for a 190.00 with gear, stock springs front/rear I'm listening!

"Clicks" aside - with your weight you would more than likely need to re-spring the rear. 

Forks - Top is rebound, not compression. People often ignore rebound and tend to focus on the compression. The usual story is - "hey this feels to harsh" so they reduce the compression to get a softer feeling only to realize it became even more harsh. When in fact it is the rebound is too slow resulting in fork sitting too low in the stroke.

Regardless of where you put your clickers. you need to start somewhere and then report back. 

So to that end- ride it. find sections that have a lot of breaking bumps and ride it fast. Report back what you felt and no doubt the collective hive mind can point you in the right direction.