Sign in to follow this  

California Question on Selling bike with certificate of Origin for a Vehicle

Heres the Deal, I financed a new 2015 KTM 500 EXC, then promptly paid it off within a few months.  I have all the original documents from dealer and bank (all with my name on it), and I also have documents from the bank stating the loan has been paid in full.  Therefore I am the sole owner of the bike (no lienholder).  

With that said I have never registered the bike, and its never been on the street.  I am now wanting to sell the bike, but I have no actual title, Only the original KTM Motorrad AG "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle" which contains the VIN number, make model, Engine #, ect.  Can anyone give me any details on whether its possible to sell the bike with the "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle"?  If you have any other info thats be great, Thanks.

Ray

I am corn-fussed...  cause I don't know a bank that will finance a vehicle without a title with them listed as lienholder in CA.  The title is proof that the bike is collateral.

I also don't understand how you could have gotten out of the dealer in CA with no title cause CA is a title state.  Usually MSOs are not used unless the vehicle is being sold out of state.

Are you sure the bike was not titled and the title is still at the bank ?

It sounds hinky unless theirs more info. 

Registering or selling the bike on a legit MSO is no big deal...  but the rest of the story    :thinking:

Correct, I'm not a California Native, I'm a resident of Utah, but haven't been home in over a year.  I just moved here a few months ago.  I have actually lived in 4 states in the last 2 years due to my work. I bought the bike in Texas in January, while I was there for work. If you need more info, I'm an open book.

I am corn-fussed...  cause I don't know a bank that will finance a vehicle without a title with them listed as lienholder in CA.  The title is proof that the bike is collateral.

I also don't understand how you could have gotten out of the dealer in CA with no title cause CA is a title state.  Usually MSOs are not used unless the vehicle is being sold out of state.

Are you sure the bike was not titled and the title is still at the bank ?

It sounds hinky unless theirs more info. 

Registering or selling the bike on a legit MSO is no big deal...  but the rest of the story    :thinking:

Then I think you are golden...  I won a quad on a raffle once and was given the MSO...  I walked right in and got a title...  I also got a dirt bike from out of state once and the seller gave me an MSO...  took that in and got a title for the bike no problem.

I think you are good whether you register it before the sale...  or just fork over the MSO to the buyer.

MSO doesn't say anything about the bank does it ???

Edited by Chipped BEEF

Right after I posted my last response, I noticed on the back it does have the bank listed as lien holder and it has my name listed as "Distribution Dealer Assignment #1".  Now thats got me really wondering if I will have to go throught the extra step of registering it at the DMV.

Then I think you are golden...  I won a quad on a raffle once and was given the MSO...  I walked right in and got a title...  I also got a dirt bike from out of state once and the seller gave me an MSO...  took that in and got a title for the bike no problem.

I think you are good whether you register it before the sale...  or just fork over the MSO to the buyer.

MSO doesn't say anything about the bank does it ???

Edited by riding4life162

Right after I posted my last response, I noticed on the back it does have the bank listed as lien holder and it has my name listed as "Distribution Dealer Assignment #1".  Now thats got me really wondering if I will have to go throught the extra step of registering it at the DMV.

Ya...  starting to sound like a trip to the DMV.  That sucks.

If you absolutely have to go to the DMV I recommend going an hour before closing. You'd be surprised how fast people can move when it's almost time to go home. 

I go first in line on Tuesday...  they ain't so pissed yet...  8 hours of stupid can really piss off a DMV clerk.  LOLOLOLOLOL

I'm a Utah resident, so I Did some calling around and I have to get it inspected at the Cali DMV then mail that paperwork along with the Utah paperwork to Utah DMV and they'll send the plates and registration in the mail within 10 days of receiving it.

• Like 1

The Saga Continues.....  My question is at the end.  I posted my bike for sale on craigslist and was flooded with offers, but all but one were turned away because my bike was registered and didnt have plates.  Fast forward to today, I am finally getting around to registering my bike.  Now since I have been away from my home state for work and didn't register my bike when I originally purchased it, The out of state DMV gave me two additional steps.....

1).  I had to call the dealer I bought it from to have them send me a Damage Disclosure Statement: A Document stating the vehicle was new and undamaged when I bought it.   (The dealer faxed this to me within 2 days, GREAT!!)

2).  I had to get a Notice of Lien Release: Document from my bank stating, there is no lien on motorcycle and it is legitimately mine.  (My bank, USAA (Best bank ever), certified mailed it and it was at my Cali residence in 3 days.  GREAT!!)

So the bike is finally in the process of being plated, so now there shouldn't be any more issues.  SO I thought.......

Now while I was showing the bike to buyers a few weeks ago, a potential buyer told me that california has rules for residents buying bikes from out of staters (Me), he said that Cali residents can't register bikes with less than 7500 miles, that came from out of staters.  Has anyone ever heard of this regulation???

-----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:  Did some quick digging and found my answer, I'm guessing the potential buyer misunderstood the regulation.  My bike is a KTM 500 EXC, has the emissions sticker under the tank, so it is 50 state compliant, meeting California's ridiculous emissions standards.  Might be useful Info for other Out of staters moving to California.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-19%20at%2008.56.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-19%20at%2008.57.

Edited by riding4life162