Sign in to follow this  

CRF70 Rear Sprocket - loose nuts?

My son's CRF70F is now in tip-top shape after a serious carb cleaning, new spark plug, valve adjustment, installed the missing spark arrestor baffle, front and rear brakes, new chain, new sprockets.....and the thing is running like a scalded cat!

So after riding for about 2 months after all this work I go to lube the chain and the find the back sprocket loose.  ALL 4 NUTS are loose!!  I know that I tightened them up!  They are "self-locking" or Nylocs... --  Do you replace them every time you loosen them or use some sort of locktite?  What does the Thumper forum recommend?  Thanks!

My son's CRF70F is now in tip-top shape after a serious carb cleaning, new spark plug, valve adjustment, installed the missing spark arrestor baffle, front and rear brakes, new chain, new sprockets.....and the thing is running like a scalded cat!

So after riding for about 2 months after all this work I go to lube the chain and the find the back sprocket loose.  ALL 4 NUTS are loose!!  I know that I tightened them up!  They are "self-locking" or Nylocs... --  Do you replace them every time you loosen them or use some sort of locktite?  What does the Thumper forum recommend?  Thanks!

wow.  never had such an issue with the nuts coming loose.  even after multiple sprocket changes.  did you torque them to spec.  I wish I had my 70 book but dont  maybe a quick search on the net will come up withthe correct number.  

or, maybe the nuts just needs replaced.  who knows how many times they came off before who did what to them.  better safe than sorry.  ensure being loose did not cause any ovaling of the holes.  that could be an issue down the road if bigger "kids" get on it.

To be on the safe side, I applied red locktite to the threads.  I am going to put new tires on it in a few months and will change out the 4 nuts at that time with new ones.  I will look at the holes to make sure they did not oval like you stated.....Thx!!