Sign in to follow this  

2011 KX250F just bought, a few questions.

Just bought a 2011 KX250F as stated, and have a few questions. 

I am just planning on using it as a trail bike. I am old and fat and need to get into some sort of shape other than pear. Have not had a dirt bike in forever. 

I plan on putting a rekluse clutch in it, but I see they have basically two different options, one is $399, and one is $899.  The only experience I have with a Rekluse is the one I put into my Boss's DRZ400 years ago. That one had like 25 ball bearing's in it.  

Anyone with one of these clutch's in their KX250F?   Just looking for something to keep from stalling the bike when I go panic braking into a turn...lol  Which one do I need?  

Anything important I need to know about this bike as far as maintenance?  This bike has lived a hard life seemingly. Most likely I will ride it till it gets too cold for me, and then bare frame it so I can clean and lube everything. 

The bike has Factory Connection suspension, I will get rebuilt when I pull it all apart. 

Where is the best place to get aftermarket parts from on the interwebs?  I want to get some Mad Hatter graphics and those green spoke covers, as well as a chain and sprockets, and some other nic nacks. 

Thanks in advance. 

I put the $400 version in my 11 250f for exact reasons you mentioned, raced all summer with no issues. The higher $$ is for basket and cover to increase cooling. Its super easy and no more balls like old version, you pull out few plates put in the new pack and swap the springs. Well worth the money.

I put the $400 version in my 11 250f for exact reasons you mentioned, raced all summer with no issues. The higher $$ is for basket and cover to increase cooling. Its super easy and no more balls like old version, you pull out few plates put in the new pack and swap the springs. Well worth the money.

Thanks for the reply Boss.    I wish the more expensive one came with the basket, but the basket is another $250.  The owner mentioned this bike might need a basket, and that is pretty specific so I factored that into my price. 

I have certainly filed down beat up basket tabs before, but it's never a long term fix. 

I just need to pull the clutch assembly and see what it looks like. I was meant to go riding today but it did not work out. 

Might just go get oil/filter/plug and do a real service on it before I ride it. If I do oil and filter I can yank the clutch assembly and take a look. 

Found some play on the lower shock mount. Not super excited about that, but that's life with used dirt bikes. 

I have read about an O-Ring in the cylinder head that can fail and kill the cam bearings??  Where is that O-Ring?  I would like to check it. 

Edited by THEMANRACING