Sign in to follow this  

Riding ATV's in the Winter

Does winter riding have harsh effects on an ATV compared to riding in the summer? My friend keeps telling me that riding a sport ATV in the winter tears out the clutch faster, but I have never heard of such a thing or understand how that would work.

Winter has no effect on your clutch. Do some maintenance on the quad, sucks doing it during the winter months. Some advice...buy bark busters with the hand guards. You don't want the cold wind to freeze your hands. 

Have you tried the hand mitts that go over the handlebars? I see rockymountain has a pair of Tusk ones on sale for 18$ at the moment, are they worth it? I can't wait to try my raptor out in the winter, trying to get a few more hours on it so it's completely broken in for the winter, then I can do the big 3  :thumbsup:

Yes I have tried those mitts, and I personally will never use them again...do they work...yes, but the bulky feeling was awful. If you decide to get the hand guards, make sure they are big enough to cover your entire hand. BTW Raptor's are a great quad to ride in the winter. How many hours on the Raptor now?

Yes I have tried those mitts, and I personally will never use them again...do they work...yes, but the bulky feeling was awful. If you decide to get the hand guards, make sure they are big enough to cover your entire hand. BTW Raptor's are a great quad to ride in the winter. How many hours on the Raptor now?

Like 5 haha, I'm enjoying it so far, pretty impressed with it, it runs about neck and neck with my friend's piped banshee, when I can keep the front wheels on the ground at take off that is. Jumps and turns way nicer than my old banshee though, that's for sure.

As far as I see, the winter helps your quad. Cooler air = better running and better cooling. Just don't start your quad and go balls out immediately, let it warm up a bit (duh). And make sure your chain is on point. Takes a lot more torque in snow than on solid ground. It'll prompt the chain to slip, and no one wants a busted case.

One of the benefits to owning a quad is year round riding. The winter will not hurt your clutch any more than summer riding.

Winter riding is fun ! And if anything it will be less abusive, unless your going full out with studs or ski package. Also I would change to a thinner synthetic for the winter months if plan on riding much. As for the handle bar mitts they make you feel restricted like your literally attached to the quad with no way out if she goes south haha.

I use them an as long as you memorize yer switches no prob,,,

I can get away with very light under-armor gloves with them...

(course they arent on in these pics...)

wheelers like the cold IMHO,,,

but my Raptor really gets a workout so I dont run it in the fresh stuff...

all weather Prarie 650

nov19021-1.jpg

nov19018.jpg

Edited by THUMPERRRR

I use them an as long as you memorize yer switches no prob,,,

I can get away with very light under-armor gloves with them...

(course they arent on in these pics...)

Why'd you take pictures of the snow? (Really bad camo joke, I know.) Which brand do you use? 

Regular winter gloves. Lined winter leather gloves. Not bulky so you can enjoy the ride. Just make sure they are not tight.

The only gloves that have worked for me are 150$ snowmobile gloves, but I'd rather only spend 20$ instead of 150$

my Prairie came with some older koplin camo's I cannot find online,,,

but I got a set of these for a friend last christmas and there about as good...

outstanding protection from cold...

Koplin camo

Koplin black

The only thing I am scared of is them not letting my clutch lever go all the way out, do they have quite a bit of room? Just out of curiosity, how cold does it get in the winter where you live?

The only thing I am scared of is them not letting my clutch lever go all the way out, do they have quite a bit of room? Just out of curiosity, how cold does it get in the winter where you live?

I worried about the same thing only with the brakes,,, but they dont pull none and have room there...

yer hand is right there to check an ensure its going all the way out...

man I live north of you in Michigan,,, plenty cold...

I been out in sub zero on her many a time...

I live on a chain of lakes and we can ride all of them and the surrounding areas/trails when it freezes...

I worried about the same thing only with the brakes,,, but they dont pull none and have room there...

yer hand is right there to check an ensure its going all the way out...

man I live north of you in Michigan,,, plenty cold...

I been out in sub zero on her many a time...

I live on a chain of lakes and we can ride all of them and the surrounding areas/trails when it freezes...

Cool, I'll have to give them a try this winter, how deep is the snow up there usually?

Cool, I'll have to give them a try this winter, how deep is the snow up there usually?

deep enuff that the 4wd prairie gets stuck sometimes... :smirk:

too freakin deep sometimes...

then the snowmobiles come into play...

I gotta add,,,

even with studded tires

2wd ATVs dont go all that great in fresh snow...

great on frozen lakes/roads/trails an such and shallow snow,,,

but only so deep man...

Edited by THUMPERRRR

deep enuff that the 4wd prairie gets stuck sometimes... :smirk:

too freakin deep sometimes...

then the snowmobiles come into play...

I gotta add,,,

even with studded tires

2wd ATVs dont go all that great in fresh snow...

great on frozen lakes/roads/trails an such and shallow snow,,,

but only so deep man...

Yeah, we build like a motocross track so we pack the snow all down and add some jumps, I don't know how those guys ride dirt bikes in the snow, even with the studded tires, I can't imagine trying to ride mine in the snow.

I rode atvs in the snow many times in past....on a yamaha warrior.  It can be alot of fun, but it can be easy to get stuck in fresh "unpacked" snow.  And the packed snow turns into ice at some point.  I rode my dirtbikes in the snow also, unpacked snow is much easier to ride in, I didn't use studs either.  The problem with them is the ice that can be under the fresh snow.  I fall quite a bit when riding in snow on dirtbikes, its mostly because of slipping on ice.