Sign in to follow this  

FrankJones's 16' KTM EXC 600 Six Days Build

Hey all!

Just picked up my second KTM. Graduated from an 08' EXC-R 450 to this new 500. I had every intention of scooping up the regular exc but happened to find this SIX Days and pulled the trigger. I was so excited I found one that I didn't have a chance to sell the 08' yet.

-Shameless plug if anyone is looking!

Pm me!

FMF full Ti exhaust /jetted/geared 14/51

All the bolt on armor and 3 gal tank

Ready to ride 2800 miles.

2246FEC0-1775-4DF6-BAAE-CCE9E79C9AD4_zps

2E077544-B559-4A4C-96A0-C6032E8B5601_zps

Here's the new hatchling coming out of the crate. Lol

81F8A3DE-A84B-47B1-A2EC-7E86E1E1579F_zps

The six days behind mine was already sold and mine was the last one. According to the dealer, they say that they can't order them, they literally just show up as part of their exc order.

BDF32F54-07C4-4423-B389-F91FB4F381C9_zps

In my van and ready for the long haul home.

• Like 3

Updates to follow. I am really busy with work and will not have too much time to ride in the coming weeks. Excited to do the tear down and build. Funny thing about shopping for accessories while they are prepping your bike is you just start checking off your list of mods and armor. Before you know it, your credit card is melting! I picked up chain/sprockets, fender kit with lights, and rear disc guard. The rest will have to wait until cyber Monday! Any vendors listening?! Lol

Played hookie on Friday and managed to get some essential work done on the bike. I had more parts than time so I quickly took the stock mirrors off, slapped on that "double take" mirror, set my suspension to sport, and most importantly swapped the chain and sprockets. Anybody have a quick trick to adjust the rebound on the rear shock? The manual calls for a socket, but the hole isn't big enough in the plastic to fit the socket and access the rebound adjuster. What gives? Are you guys removing the fairing to set the rebound??

On another note, I sold the old 450 excr today! Happy about that, the stable was getting crowded, on to the pics!

Parts! I went with the 14/50 set up. On the old 450 I used to have 14/52, then switched to 51. Really loved it. Always kept me in the sweet spot for the trails I ride. I think the sweet spot is much broader on the 500 so I went with the recommended set.

B7B4CBE7-559A-460C-82E2-DF3B968B9DE5_zps

Stripped down. Savoring the newness of the bike before the first ride.

AC28BA9A-0C50-45AD-828A-767819EC206B_zps

20CBB3F0-6D02-48EC-A8C9-41C1E232EAED_zps

F3176167-B2DB-40DD-BE1E-E5EE7633F904_zps

505E8C01-DF20-46C0-B1CF-A17B46C38D45_zps

9FB0A1C4-6636-4364-A3D0-82647FA92149_zps

Checking the proper chain tension is way better now. It's a no brainer compared to how they used to recommend it on the 08'.

8B93D343-7C0A-4E7E-A0CB-8E80E7751C6A_zps

• Like 2

Friday afternoon I did my first hour break in ride on the bike. My first impression was how much I love the way the bike rides. Yes of course the power is insane compared to the old 450, but the suspension feels so good! On sport, it's still very plush, soaking up all the small bumps and keeping its composure in the rock gardens. I am thinking of holding off on having the suspension set up until I feel like I am missing something. I am dealing with so many new sensations as this bike is a huge up grade for me. At first I thought there was a lot of play in the throttle. After a couple cases of whiskey throttle on my first hour ride, I think the play in the throttle is just fine!

Anyway, today I changed the oil/oil filter. I was surprised at how grey the oil was and how many metal shavings had already been collected on the magnetic drain plug. More metal than what I find on my M3 drain plug after 5000 miles! Good call KTM.

6D41CDEB-2C9A-411E-80B1-1A0F3126B779_zps

• Like 3

I guess waiting for the dealer on a sprocket is mute now......  looks great!  Just broke mine in today.  Agree, the suspension is insane.

• Like 1

Totally agree about suspension. My previous bike was an 09 wr300. Had suspension done dialed in /revalvrd etc. was blown away how good it was. The mew 500 exc stock suspension is so good in untouched form..its better than my 09's after spendin $1000 on it. Still need to play around with clickers and sag. I may not spend anything on revalving/springs on this bike. Bike is just amazing. Believe the hype.

• Like 2

That is a nice looking bike for sure , congrats . The 08 looks so clean it should sell pretty fast . The 17 mm socket does go through the hole , just have to wiggle it a bit .

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome deal!! Although I do mx so it won't really be necessary, but they are a cheap way of getting a black swingarm ;)

Sounds like an awesome deal!! Although I do mx so it won't really be necessary, but they are a cheap way of getting a black swingarm ;)

Yea, I drag my bike through the rocks so I find them to be a pretty cheap investment. I find a broken zip tie every couple rides so I know there doing there job :D

Holy rock protection batman! Those are cool!

I'm gonna keep finding things for you to spend money on :D
  • Like 1

That is a nice looking bike for sure , congrats . The 08 looks so clean it should sell pretty fast . The 17 mm socket does go through the hole , just have to wiggle it a bit .

Thanks!

I actually sold the 08 on Saturday and left town for a job on Monday. Probably be out of the game for a little bit. Definitely going to hang on to fuddy's coat tails on his build while I'm gone. Black Friday is coming and the parts bin is just about on empty!

Well I came home for Xmas break to a over loaded parts bin and a much neglected 6Days.

First order of business was to get the proper map loaded up on to the bike. Now some bolt ons. I didn't have much time to work on her before my next ride so I did the hand guards, fender eliminator, light weight battery, FMF full Ti exhaust and adjusted my TPS.

9D04D272-15FE-458E-AFA2-B1495FB3C524_zps

• Like 1

Rode the bike today. OMG. Lots of power. My bike came with the TPS set at .578.

After the euro map /full exhaust, I bumped the TPS up to .637. The adjustment is so sensitive that it feels like you can bump the adjustment even when tight. Anyway I went riding and had a few flameouts. Getting to the top of a hill, 2nd gear, lugging the motor a little and the bike stalled out and almost threw me over the bars. This happened a few times. Do you think the bike is running too rich?

No popping at all on decel. I thought with the euro map and free flowing exhaust I would need the .64 setting, but it doesent feel right. The motor feels like it's either lugging and about to die or too much throttle opening and she wants to rip my arms off!lol.

Today I bumped the TPS down to .605. Hopefully this will keep me from stalling out and let me lug the bike a little. What do you TPS pros think?

D426B177-9E77-4252-9D40-31ECF687C67C_zps

Edited by FrankJones

The bike requires a pretty high idle, You are better to test the .605 range  first , but unless the euro map was adjusted for the pipe, its probably not right either.

The 701 map is set up for/designed for, an open Powerparts Akra. KTM also has a map for the FMF. Unsure if it's the same (701) or not. Do you know which EU map you got? My 701 and stock pipe is too rich at .62, so I'll be dropping to .60'ish the next ride. No flameouts though at .62.

Edited by oldfuddy