Sign in to follow this  

2016 501S

Soo.. I don't see any one posting about 2016's yet. I just picked my 501 up Saturday and am loving it. Previously had a 14' KTM 300xc and I loved everything about that bike but the 501 has all the power and a more predictable power band. Not to mention street legal but I'm going to be 99.8% in dirt. Just thought I would post. Not really any plans for it. I took off the mirrors and cut back the tail. All the smog will be coming off and my dealer gave me all the screws and caps for deleting it. No plans for fuel programmer or exhaust yet. I have trouble spending money on a bike I just paid way to much for, but so worth it. Have a hour on it and just changed the oil. Going to ride again tomorrow before work. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447048656.854998.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447048694.835783.jpg

The old 300 ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447048946.754765.jpg

I got my 16 fe501 the day the shop got it, probably a month or so ago. It's a rad bike. I haven't searched on my own, but a friend bought the same bike same day and he swears the exhaust on these bikes is a akrapovic. I think it's crazy quiet coming from a 14 kx450, but it's apparently pretty light with good flow

• Like 1

I got my 16 fe501 the day the shop got it, probably a month or so ago. It's a rad bike. I haven't searched on my own, but a friend bought the same bike same day and he swears the exhaust on these bikes is a akrapovic. I think it's crazy quiet coming from a 14 kx450, but it's apparently pretty light with good flow

nice man! this bike is awesome so far. really loving the crazy power but so manageable at the same time. Almost broke 4 hours on it now

Very little difference between a 15 and 16. If you got a 2016 you're lucky to have a more comfortable seat! I'm ordering one from a 2016 they are interchangeable. There's a difference in the front axle diameter and steering head angles between the two years the 2016 is claimed to be improved. My 2015 fe 501 s is very stable except at the highest speeds where I believe a steering dampner might be the solution. I literally don't notice it to about 70 miles per hour under hard acceleration. Oh yeah you got different stickers if that makes you happy if you own a 2016

Very little difference between a 15 and 16. If you got a 2016 you're lucky to have a more comfortable seat! I'm ordering one from a 2016 they are interchangeable. There's a difference in the front axle diameter and steering head angles between the two years the 2016 is claimed to be improved. My 2015 fe 501 s is very stable except at the highest speeds where I believe a steering dampner might be the solution. I literally don't notice it to about 70 miles per hour under hard acceleration. Oh yeah you got different stickers if that makes you happy if you own a 2016

comfortable seat? This seat sucks lol but yeah I heard they were pretty similar. I got all my smog off and gonna do the TPS mod and ride it til the wheels fall off. I spent to much money to justify doing exhaust and other mods. It's pretty sweet the way it is ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447482822.160316.jpg

I found moving the bars forward helps me get up in the front of the saddle where there is more foam.It helps in fact the bike now handles better when ridden this way I think KTM intended for us to ride as far forward as possible. You can move the bar mounts forward on the triple clamps there's an alternate set of mounting holes and you can turn the bar mounts 180° to get them further forward. Mine we're already rotated in the forward position but I moved the mounts to the alternate holes. The TPS tuner is great buy. I merely drilled out the sound deadening screen in the end of the stock muffler and cap but left the internal spark arrestor intact and got the biggest gain in power this way with a 6.8 tps setting. I tried an aftermarket exhaust end cap from best dual sport bikes.com and a tps setting of 71 the gain in power was not worth the noise. Despite their claims this end cap is loud! I put the stock one back on I recommend drilling out the sound deadening screen.

1447483416718.jpg

I found moving the bars forward helps me get up in the front of the saddle where there is more foam.It helps in fact the bike now handles better when ridden this way I think KTM intended for us to ride as far forward as possible. You can move the bar mounts forward on the triple clamps there's an alternate set of mounting holes and you can turn the bar mounts 180° to get them further forward. Mine we're already rotated in the forward position but I moved the mounts to the alternate holes. The TPS tuner is great buy. I merely drilled out the sound deadening screen in the end of the stock muffler and cap but left the internal spark arrestor intact and got the biggest gain in power this way with a 6.8 tps setting. I tried an aftermarket exhaust end cap from best dual sport bikes.com and a tps setting of 71 the gain in power was not worth the noise. Despite their claims this end cap is loud! I put the stock one back on I recommend drilling out the sound deadening screen.

cool man thanks for the info. What do you mean by 6.8 TPS setting? I thought they went like .58 is stock but you should bump it up to .65? Volts I believe

Excuse me decimal ended up in the wrong place. I currently live in Willits California at about 1400 feet I ride anywhere from sea level to about 4000 feet locally. The TPS tuning is highly variable to one's taste your elevation and exhaust modifications. These bikes are very lean stock I thought so when mine was new and unmodified I went through the moves to disable the air injection system the charcoal EVAP system removed the evap solenoid. I received my aftermarket end cap and TPS tool at separate times. based on recommendations from Dave at best dual sport bikes.com I started with a TPS setting of .68 with the modified stock end cap. I ordered the aftermarket and cap later and cranked it up to .71 This really woke the bike up. It definitely pulled harder. If you're not too concerned about the sound it's not extremely loud I just got used to the stock sound and love it. My wr 250r with a Leo Vince muffler is louder than my husky. When I put the stock end cap back on I felt the bike was a little bit rich. It was a little cranky at low rpms at .71 It stalled a couple of times on me. So I went back to a TPS setting of .68 I've had the bike up to about 2500 feet in elevation and it seems fine. These bikes to make a claim to 58 horsepower I was not disappointed with it stock. The mild modification makes a difference It will put a smile on your face guaranteed.

Excuse me decimal ended up in the wrong place. I currently live in Willits California at about 1400 feet I ride anywhere from sea level to about 4000 feet locally. The TPS tuning is highly variable to one's taste your elevation and exhaust modifications. These bikes are very lean stock I thought so when mine was new and unmodified I went through the moves to disable the air injection system the charcoal EVAP system removed the evap solenoid. I received my aftermarket end cap and TPS tool at separate times. based on recommendations from Dave at best dual sport bikes.com I started with a TPS setting of .68 with the modified stock end cap. I ordered the aftermarket and cap later and cranked it up to .71 This really woke the bike up. It definitely pulled harder. If you're not too concerned about the sound it's not extremely loud I just got used to the stock sound and love it. My wr 250r with a Leo Vince muffler is louder than my husky. When I put the stock end cap back on I felt the bike was a little bit rich. It was a little cranky at low rpms at .71 It stalled a couple of times on me. So I went back to a TPS setting of .68 I've had the bike up to about 2500 feet in elevation and it seems fine. These bikes to make a claim to 58 horsepower I was not disappointed with it stock. The mild modification makes a difference It will put a smile on your face guaranteed.

oh okay I gotcha, I took off all the smog stuff and I'm gonna set my TPS to ..65, from what I have read that's about what I should be at. That's cool you're in Willits, I'm not to Far in Bella Vista CA, which is right by Redding

Hey I'm in Clovis I'll sell you my seat when I get the bike I bought a seat concepts seat I won't need it.