Sign in to follow this  

Desert rider what to get.

Ok do I ride an 01 yz125 as my desert bike I love it but I ride with my dad and his friends and you can't go slow on that bike or cruise at all so I'm just flying ahead they ride xr200r crf230f etc now the problem I've completely fell in love with the mx suspension and the trail bike suspension feels like dog sh*t comparatively so help I've ridden a kdx200 but its way to fricken heavy.

Ok do I ride an 01 yz125 as my desert bike I love it but I ride with my dad and his friends and you can't go slow on that bike or cruise at all so I'm just flying ahead they ride xr200r crf230f etc now the problem I've completely fell in love with the mx suspension and the trail bike suspension feels like dog sh*t comparatively so help I've ridden a kdx200 but its way to fricken heavy.

maybe a crf250r, four stroke that is set up for race.

• Like 1

Don't they have head problem

I know 04 and 05 were valve eaters, i am not sure about 06, but the problem was improved significantly in 07 and 08. I have an 07 crf450r and i don't race the bike, i race my cr250 cause that bike will never break, i ride it in the desert and on trails and lightly around the track. I checked my valves the other weekend and that bikes valves were last done in 11 and the only thing was the left intake valve  was at .007 not .006 but the books allows for +/- .001.

There is also the option of buying a crf250x and doing the free mods, air box, pink wire, drill exhaust, and buying a jetting kit (i used JD on my dads) and that really woke the bike up. Still not as fun as my 450 but the bike moves along the trails fine and is a good solid reliable bike

The biggest thing with 4 strokes is be on top of maintenance. If you neglect maintenance the bike will need repaired more often.

Why do you find you can't go slow or cruise? Use the clutch. I can lug my 125 pretty good, give it bursts of gas then clutch in.

maybe a crf250r, four stroke that is set up for race.

A KDX is too heavy so you recommended this? Odd.

I loved my KDX220

Why are you switching? You haven't stated a problem with your YZ. I ride my YZ125 everywhere and love it

A KDX is too heavy so you recommended this? Odd.

I loved my KDX220

Why are you switching? You haven't stated a problem with your YZ. I ride my YZ125 everywhere and love it

the kdx200 is 240 dry and a crf250r is 206. and i was mainly trying to get him away from a 2 stoke and onto a 4 stroke as I've always seemed to be able to lug a 4t better than a 2t

the kdx200 is 240 dry and a crf250r is 206. and i was mainly trying to get him away from a 2 stoke and onto a 4 stroke as I've always seemed to be able to lug a 4t better than a 2t

KDX is 240 WET, CRF is 225 WET. While there is a 15lbs difference, 10 of that is fuel. An older (pre 95) KDX is actually lighter, but because you sit "in" them, the feel heavier.

The YZ is about 192 DRY, so it is light compared to bikes the next size up. To keep the weight down, a 144 kit would work well. Then when Knero is ready to handle more weight, he can step up to a 250/450 or whatever.

KDX is 240 WET, CRF is 225 WET. While there is a 15lbs difference, 10 of that is fuel. An older (pre 95) KDX is actually lighter, but because you sit "in" them, the feel heavier.

The YZ is about 192 DRY, so it is light compared to bikes the next size up. To keep the weight down, a 144 kit would work well. Then when Knero is ready to handle more weight, he can step up to a 250/450 or whatever.

okay, thanks for the clarification, and the last sentence do you mean" then when he is ready knero". i agree with you that sitting "in" a bike vs "on" regardless of the actual weight of the bike, give or take 15-20 pounds difference,  can make them feel lighter on heavier, i think it has a lot to do with where the CG is. 

Im also not saying your wrong, but where did you get the weight for the crf mine came up different when i looked it up, and if your source is better id like to check it out.

okay, thanks for the clarification, and the last sentence do you mean" then when he is ready knero". i agree with you that sitting "in" a bike vs "on" regardless of the actual weight of the bike, give or take 15-20 pounds difference,  can make them feel lighter on heavier, i think it has a lot to do with where the CG is. 

Im also not saying your wrong, but where did you get the weight for the crf mine came up different when i looked it up, and if your source is better id like to check it out.

Sorry I meant when Rossmodz is ready.....

I got my weight from bikez.com.......Honda says "231 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel–ready to ride)" that is for the 2015 model, so the older models could be lighter/heavier depending on the year. Pretty sure my 95 KDX doesn't top 240, even with 2.9 gallons of gas. My 93 KDX doesn't top 240 with 3.6 gallons, but again FEELS heavier than the 95. Seat feels lower too, but that is also not true. But since you sit in the older KDXs, they feel way different.....Heavier to steer would be my assessment.

I guess a YZ 250 COULD be an option for him, since they feel light in the steering, still not a "light" bike.

• Like 1