Sign in to follow this  

Fix bog and Winterize WR250

First post, thanks in advance for any help.

I bought a 2010 WR250F this summer, it is my first dirt bike. The bike is great, the guy had barely ridden it, only had 500 or so kilometers on it, the bike was practically brand new. I rode it for the last few months, put about 6-700 km on it of mostly trail riding.

post-121957-0-48790500-1447049670.jpg

(The last fall ride I had on the bike)

As I got more comfortable on the bike, and riding faster (more throttle) I noticed it has a bit of a bog. So a bit of information about the bog:

If the bike isn't fully warmed up, and in neutral and you crack the throttle, the engine will die, or at the very least slow and stutter. Once it is warmed up fully, cracking the throttle while in neutral will still bog and stutter but won't stall it out. While riding a quick blip of the throttle will cause the bog in lower rpms, higher rpms quick throttle movements don't seem to cause the bog. I also noticed that while near topped out in fifth gear (about 110km/h) if I gave it full throttle it would bog and I would have to back off from full to keep accelerating. 

In my search to resolve this issue I have come across lots of threads and ideas. My first thoughts were that the carb was a little dirty, and maybe the accelerator pump wasn't squirting enough fuel, or that some of the jets were gunked up. The bike is 5 years old and the previous owner only rode it once or twice a year, so it seemed logical that old fuel had gummed it up. This weekend I was determined to clean the carb, watched some youtube videos, this one being the best one: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c60emySUo64&index=28&list=PLQNbY8vNfRmXMBsvYsmT9a9Xi3EQaT0S9.

All I can say is it was a lot more work than I thought to get that carb out of there... had to take half the bike apart, but all in all it was good to get right into the bike and see everything. The carb was a little dirt on the inside (at least I think so, you be the judge), I tore it all apart and cleaned everything really well. The acc pump diaphragm was in good condition as was everything else. Of course I had read all about the acc pump mods, but after looking at it, I don't really understand how those mods work.

post-121957-0-72499800-1447049401.jpegpost-121957-0-70617400-1447049404.jpeg
post-121957-0-32264500-1447049384.jpeg

The acc pump cam and linkage are connected via the timing screw with the spring on it, adjusting that such that there is no play between the screw and the cam means that when the throttle is turned the cam rotates and pushes the rod that then pushes the diaphragm and squirts the fuel, linking the cam and linkage together with an O-ring, in my opinion, wouldn't seem to do anything? Anyways, I didn't do the mod, or adjust the screw as it seemed to be set correctly as per the manual (my understanding of it anyways).

I took pictures of all the jets so I know what number they are, finished the cleaning of everything and put it all back together. I knew it would be a pain to get it back in the bike, and it was, but I managed to get everything back in the way it was originally. A few kicks later and to my great relief, it started right up, seemed to idle a bit higher with the choke out than I remember from before, but other than that it seemed the same. I let it warm up and went for a bit of a ride, sadly... the bog was still there. You can imagine my sadness when after all that work it didn't fix the problem, but on the plus side I now have a clean carb and know that isn't the issue.

post-121957-0-95179500-1447049380.jpeg

So how do I fix this bog? Is it indeed the acc pump? Could it be the fuel screw needs adjusting, I have read that adjusting that helps with the first bit of throttle. Maybe the leak jet? The thing that really kind of makes this confusing is that it bogs out at full throttle while in high rpm and high speed, but also when just cracking the throttle... now I haven't had a chance to try the full throttle full speed test since I cleaned the carb, so who knows.

If you made it this far, thank you, onto the next question. Living in Canada sadly means winter is nearly here, and the bike has to go into storage. Unfortunately there is no room in the garage meaning the bike will have to live in the shed, temps can reach -30C here in the winter and the shed will be at that temperature. Are there any special precautions I should take? I gave the bike a thorough cleaning, and I will be adding fuel stabiliser to a full tank of gas. The current oil has a couple hundred km on it, I was thinking I would just leave that oil in it and replace it and the filter come spring time, it doesn't make sense to me to put fresh oil in it, to just have to drain the fresh oil in the spring, it is a bit wasteful. Unless I'm missing something? Let me know. Also, the coolant, I have no idea what coolant is in it, how old it is, or if it will be ok at the cold temps. Should I drain it and leave it empty for the winter, to avoid it possibly freezing? Or should I buy something that is good to -30C and do a flush with that and get some new coolant in it? What do you guys use for coolant?

Thanks,

Chris.

PS here is a video of my first few rides on the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69FenHiwhM0

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

IMG_20151010_133905.jpg

Edited by Ct2

Hi.

I fixed the problem with the oring mod

All the best.

Edited by fengluzon

Thanks for the reply. While I'm also thinking that mod might help, how come the bike bogs at full throttle when I'm slowly rolling throttle on? That has nothing to do with the accelerator pump. Shouldn't the bike be able to run properly without having to do this mod?

Also I'm getting some Engine Ice and distilled water to do a coolant flush, it says it is rated to -26F or -32C, so hopefully that is good enough for me... A friend mentioned that he sprays engine fogger in his carb before he shuts it off for good, supposed to coat the engine in oil. Does anyone else do this? Is it recommended? The manual mentions just pulling the plug and putting in like a table spoon of engine oil to coat the internals, is that all that is needed? 

I think it's a matter of finding the right jetting.

You can ask at the thumpertalk jetting. they are more knowledgeable than I am.

What are you jetting? what needle are you using and where is the clip.

Have you done any changes to the bike?

The mod is great for what you have described but for the full throttle and more, i think it's a matter of jetting.

All the best.

I have an 02 wr 250f. It runs in the low rpms, but when I ride at high altitude (7000 ft) it bogs at full throttle just like you described. I think a smaller main jet is the answer. Anyways... I believe that your main jet is an issue. If where you live is really cold, your bike will run leaner, so get a bigger main jet. You could also have an improperly adjusted float or pinched fuel line, so the bike can't get enough gas at max power (this is pretty unlikely). For winterizing, I pull off the spark plug put a teaspoon of oil in the hole, and kick the bike with the kill switch in. I drain the float bowl and fuel tank. I put a plastic bag over exhuast. Rubber deteriorates quickly in cold dry climates, so I have had dripping fuel switches come riding season.