Sign in to follow this  

250 excf Speedo shuts off after 30 secs - ideas?

Hi all

I've recently switched to a KTM after always having Japanese bikes and love it. I brought a 2nd hand 2014 excf 250 6 days with 69 hours on it.

It has an issue whereby the speedo come on fine when it first starts but then turns off again after around 30 secs. If you then turn the bike off and start it again the same thing happens. Also the horn doesn't work.

I suspected fuses but all look fine.

Before I go taking the bike apart and tracing the cables does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

RD

I would change the battery in the speedo before anything.  It's a button cell, I don't remember the exact model but you can access it through a little battery door on the bottom of the speedo. 

Hi all

I've recently switched to a KTM after always having Japanese bikes and love it. I brought a 2nd hand 2014 excf 250 6 days with 69 hours on it.

It has an issue whereby the speedo come on fine when it first starts but then turns off again after around 30 secs. If you then turn the bike off and start it again the same thing happens. Also the horn doesn't work.

I suspected fuses but all look fine.

Before I go taking the bike apart and tracing the cables does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

RD

If you start the bike at idle, the speedo will fire up and shut down 60 seconds later , if just sitting idling, now if you take off and its not on, that 's not normal

atleast on the 15's , the 14's have a different speedo

Edited by Spud786

Thanks for the replies all. I changed the battery and same thing.

I've also changed the cable and magnet/pickup but the same results.

It works for about 30 seconds of riding (with speed being detected) then I get to the end of my street and it stops registering speed then sits off.

Really annoying.

I've ordered a new one now.