Sign in to follow this  

not hitting powerband?

we not sure exactly whats happened, bought bike with engine apart for 3 years, put together, ran good. took back apart to give a full check over and clean. new gaskets new hoses, coolant and oils fresh fuel, fresh plug. i took it up to my mates to give it a test but was running like a pig, then had a fiddle with the screw on side of carbi (big one with spring) (also if you can tell me what one this is that would be great) and got it nice and smooth revving in neutral ( i think was at max revs as it sounded of it tits. but when riding went good through till it WOULD hit powerband, where it just crackled and didnt accelerate anymore. anyone had this before or know how to fix it? i have powervalve side cover and exhaust off at the moment, powervalve feels smooth BUT when i push up from the exhaust port it 80% of the time goes up halve way and gets stuck. and 5-10% of the time it will do it when i push from the right side cover. when Pushing from the side i can eep pushing and its under spring tension but the valve doesnt move???

You might have gotten something lodged in your jets in the carb. I'd start there. After that, check the reads and make sure they're working properly and not overly worn.

The screw you were messing with on the carb is the idle screw.

Sounds like you may have carbon build up in the powervalve. I'd pull the powervalve apart and give it all a good clean with something like brake cleaner or carby cleaner and that should free it up to operate smoothly.

You might have gotten something lodged in your jets in the carb. I'd start there. After that, check the reads and make sure they're working properly and not overly worn.

The screw you were messing with on the carb is the idle screw.

okay so after i posted this i went out to check the carbi and for some reason i was missing a carbi bowl screw, and found it inside the bowl (not a f-ing clue how it got there (put together months ago now) but yeah it out, im going to take carbi to the father and blow some compressed air through the jets and pathways etc, reeds are in good nick (can you put them in upside down by any chance?) the choke is the idle screw is it not? it litterally says it on there (is it maybe for how much the choke comes on?) 

Sounds like you may have carbon build up in the powervalve. I'd pull the powervalve apart and give it all a good clean with something like brake cleaner or carby cleaner and that should free it up to operate smoothly.

the powervalve was gunked up to heck when i pulled the engine apart and at the time i gave it a very thorough clean and it operates very smooth but im just saying if i push it up on a weird angle (from exhaust) or sort of pull out and push up (from rh cover) it will get stuck half way.

could main jet have some grit in it and thats why its not hitting poweband? cause isnt main jet for like 2/3 to full throttle?

also does anyone know the float height measurement on the 2002 ?

okay so after i posted this i went out to check the carbi and for some reason i was missing a carbi bowl screw, and found it inside the bowl (not a f-ing clue how it got there (put together months ago now) but yeah it out, im going to take carbi to the father and blow some compressed air through the jets and pathways etc, reeds are in good nick (can you put them in upside down by any chance?) the choke is the idle screw is it not? it litterally says it on there (is it maybe for how much the choke comes on?) 

the powervalve was gunked up to heck when i pulled the engine apart and at the time i gave it a very thorough clean and it operates very smooth but im just saying if i push it up on a weird angle (from exhaust) or sort of pull out and push up (from rh cover) it will get stuck half way.

could main jet have some grit in it and thats why its not hitting poweband? cause isnt main jet for like 2/3 to full throttle?

also does anyone know the float height measurement on the 2002 ?

Are you messing with a plastic or metal screw? Plastic screw with big head is idle, metal screw with no head is air screw.