Road cycling in here

I know many of us also ride our cycles on the road and thought we could share our journeys and rides here,

I rode almost 100 miles over the weekend on three separate rides. We are experiencing warmer than normal temps here in the Catskills of New York State and I figured I'm going to ride and all else can wait.

What app do you use when you ride? Me, I have my Garmin and use "Sports Tracker" on my phone (free app). I know that the popular cycling app is Strava but I haven;t used it yet. I do like the segments features and that Garmin and Strava can communicate together.

I'm picking up a new Specialized Roubiax this week. A little late for this year maybe, but I got an awesome deal on it that was hard to turn down. I'll post pics when I get it home.

• Like 1

It's snowing right now in my neck of the woods, so cycling's outta the question. However, most of my time cycling is spent on the road. I ride Ridley Helium with full 11 speed Ultegra, it's a great bike for the hills around here as it only weighs in at about 15lbs. I track my rides on Mapmyride.

It's addictive to see how far you can ride or how fast you can ride a section.

So true. It helps make for some fun competition. I rode 146 miles Friday-yesterday. I'm going out again this morning for about a 40 miler.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'll bring this back to life.

I ride a 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 2.

My biggest ride was 152 kms through the Rocky Mountains.

I have a Garmin Edge 500, and use Strava.

Let's see if we can breath some life back in here

Cannondale R4000, full Dura Ace, and an old Bianchi from the 90's, also Dura Ace. I used to race Cat 4 in my younger days and do 250-300 miles a week. I just got back onto the bikes within the last couple of months. I try to ride to work as often as possible, but haven't done any really long rides since starting again. I need some miles in these legs.

I use map my ride and either my phone or a Powertap Joule GPS computer to log routes and miles.

Edited by wes513v

Just started using Strava a couple weeks ago to see how I compare to other riders. I weight too much to get top times on the longer climbs, but was only a few seconds short of getting the KOM on a short, punchy climb. What I lack for on the climbs, I make up for on the descents...got the fastest time on a technical 3 mile descent my first time out.

Just started using Strava a couple weeks ago to see how I compare to other riders. I weight too much to get top times on the longer climbs, but was only a few seconds short of getting the KOM on a short, punchy climb. What I lack for on the climbs, I make up for on the descents...got the fastest time on a technical 3 mile descent my first time out.

I just compete with my friend. He's 50-ish pounds lighter than me, but I have thinner tires and a much lighter bike (his is a commuter, mine is a true racing bike). It's fun because he's in much better shape than I am, but I crush all his times.

This weekend I will joining in on the "Ridge the Ridge" run up on over the Shawangunks leading to New Palyz (Ulster Co, NY), home of the famed Minnewaska and Mohonk Mountians and trails. Oh, also a lot of rock climbing too. 

I'll be on my Cannondale riding and climbing but looking forward to bombing the hills and hairpin curves. Should I live, pics will follow!

Think I'm going to find some road wheels to fit on my mountain bike and try the asphalt this summer.

My shorter mountain bike rides are usually around 12 miles with 2000ft of climbing and I'm interested to see how that level of effort would equate on the road.

Looking at your feed reminded me of a few summers I spent decades ago working at summer camps near Middletown and Scranton. Some nice areas there to cycle around when out of town in the amongst the woods and lakes.

Think I'm going to find some road wheels to fit on my mountain bike and try the asphalt this summer.

My shorter mountain bike rides are usually around 12 miles with 2000ft of climbing and I'm interested to see how that level of effort would equate on the road.

Looking at your feed reminded me of a few summers I spent decades ago working at summer camps near Middletown and Scranton. Some nice areas there to cycle around when out of town in the amongst the woods and lakes.

I think energy spent per hour is the same regardless what type of riding you are doing but Mtb riding has more HIIT type of spikes where road biking is more linear but constant. Naturally, the road bike will always log about 3-4 times as many miles but energy exerted is fairly equal for the time spent on either bike.

This is a nice area for riding either road or Mtb because we have many Mtb parks and quiet roads with great scenery. I guess that's why I do both. Post pics of your converted mtb when you get it done. It should be fairly easy for a 26 or 29 inch wheel set if you have disc brakes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So next month I've got a 126 and 160 km rides in the north and south okanagan. Should be really nice!

....I need new cycling shoes

Look on eBay, lots of deals there on both new and used. I bought new CF soled shoes for $40

I've found myself coming back to Sidi's after trying a number of different brands...

How are they for wide feet?

I've got a paid of mid level Louis Garneau shoes but they're just a smidge too narrow and short... Having big feet most shops locally want you to buy whatever you order so I have to guess and hope for the best.

I'm looking at specialized and shimano wides