Road cycling in here

I average 150km to 200km a week mostly road. I have a Cannondale CAAD X with a set of road wheels. I find a CX bike is the most diverse bike for me. Also run a Specialized Rock Hopper. My city has a very extensive trail system both paved, dirt and crusher dust. I also use Sportstracker and a Garmin Forerunner. 

Winter I run an Elite Fluid trainer and mostly do 45 minute intervals. Cycling really brought my cardio on the bike to a new level. Now I have to work on body conditioning and just being in good bike shape by riding. I lost most of my season because I worked on a TV show for 5 months in a city 4 hours away from my home. That killed my cycling as well. Only got in one 25km ride in almost 5 months. 

I've been hammering the mountain bike but man I think I gotta roll the Cervelo out of the garage and go hammer some long hills....go stand for a while and stretch out.

Anybody else use the road bike as almost an extension of the rower after your gym workouts?

This year I really switched it up. Looking at 40 next year and I feel at this point the cycling is paramount as we can no longer wing it with just riding like when we were young.

I went from being a roadie to almost always on the mountain bike now. In the gym I lightened up on the weights and I feel like I spend most of my time on the pullup rack. I am 6'1@and went from 183 to now 170.
The motivation has been selling the 450 and getting the love back.....bought a new yz125 and want to whip that thing around Like a young buck.

Just rambling.......having fun though

• 4 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:07 AM, NYMXer said:

I'm going riding today to help a friend build up for a century ride 

That's my goal to do a century ride.  Quite a ways off from that tho.  Just picked this bike up yesterday.  Got to fine tune it to fit me.  Shop did a quick down and dirty.  Having comfort issues.  I'll get there...

bike.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, NYMXer said:

Nice looking bike Haglar. We did 73 miles today in 5:30 w/ 6,400ft of climbing

Still way ahead of me.  I average 30-35 miles right now.  Yah, I know.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Did a short ride this afternoon, only 22 miles but with about 4,000ft of climbing...3700ft of it are all in a 10 mile climb.  Had to put in an uphill sprint as one of the freerange cows charged me.

These pictures are taken about 2/3 up the climb on the "flat" spot. The bottom of the climb is somewhere down in that far canyon.

20170817_183415.jpg.d8b044f2b472f01f15bdef5de8697222.jpg

...and it tops out over on that far ridge.

20170817_183419.jpg.6ac6a89f34d32b8b4f504faca30067a4.jpg

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In 2015 I bought a disc trucker, put racks and a bunch of weight on it like panniers and a coffee cooker, then caught a ride to Astoria or. Rode the trans am route through the Rockies as far as Pueblo Co, then soon as I almost got to Kansas, I ran out of money. From Pueblo I caught a greyhound (never again) due north to Cheyenne WY then pedaled across Nebraska to Iowa where I met my mom and sister in law so we could ride ragbrai. Someday I plan to go back to Pueblo and finish that ride to Virginia. While riding through Idaho I was passed by a lot of the trans am racers, definitely one of the highlights of my trip.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm around 25-40 miles per ride depending on week day or weekend and weather. Gotten cold and windy here in the mid west now, and the time has changed, so motivation is low to ride in the freezing dark after an 8-10 hour day at work. Still do weekends on the 'Cross or Mtn bike occasionally. Used to be a huge week night group ride scene here, but it has all faded to practically nothing, so I ride mostly by myself now. 60 years old and from looking around me at people who are up to 10 years younger.. I feel pretty good about riding at all. ? 

41 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

I'm around 25-40 miles per ride depending on week day or weekend and weather. Gotten cold and windy here in the mid west now, and the time has changed, so motivation is low to ride in the freezing dark after an 8-10 hour day at work. Still do weekends on the 'Cross or Mtn bike occasionally. Used to be a huge week night group ride scene here, but it has all faded to practically nothing, so I ride mostly by myself now. 60 years old and from looking around me at people who are up to 10 years younger.. I feel pretty good about riding at all. ? 

I typically ride by myself too.  I ride early in the morning before most people are up.  Usually get 10-15 miles in a day.  Do 25-30 on Saturday and Sundays.  Would go on longer rides but having saddle comfort issues. Trying to work them out.  Most groups I have tried riding with run about 18 mph.  Little too fast for me at this point.    Anyways, 60 and still riding.  Props to ya.  I just passed the half century mark myself.  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

This has turned out to be a brutal weather December for this part of the country. Think it's gotten above freezing (by about 3 degrees) one day in the last week. Predicted low of -1 tonight, high of 10 today and tomorrow. Needless to say, bikes (both pedal and motorized) have been parked..:(

Yeah, same here in Morgantown, WV and even TN. Tough weather to do much of anything right now. A whopping 12 deg here right now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

This has turned out to be a brutal weather December for this part of the country. Think it's gotten above freezing (by about 3 degrees) one day in the last week. Predicted low of -1 tonight, high of 10 today and tomorrow. Needless to say, bikes (both pedal and motorized) have been parked..:(

3 hours ago, crankee said:

Yeah, same here in Morgantown, WV and even TN. Tough weather to do much of anything right now. A whopping 12 deg here right now.

You guys got it rougher than me.  It's only 35 degrees here.  But, this old mans bones don't handle the cold too well anymore. So, bikes are put away until global warming kicks in.. ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Haglar said:

You guys got it rougher than me.  It's only 35 degrees here.  But, this old mans bones don't handle the cold too well anymore. So, bikes are put away until global warming kicks in.. ?

Hell, I can't even motivate to ride around the yard! got about 6" of snow on the ground as well.

I guess I'm getting soft, in the 50's here and I still don't want to ride...I would actually prefer it to be either warmer or colder for a ride. It's stuck in a weird temperature range that is hard to dress for. When I go downhill it's pretty chilly, yet I'm sweating my ass off with warm clothing when I'm peddling back up the mountain.(It's a big hill whichever direction I leave the house.) It actually works out, as I now just spend even more time on the dirt bikes.

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NYMXer said:

That's when you break out the XC skis on go 8 miles like I did today. It was a balmy 3 degrees with a wind chill of -16

https://www.strava.com/activities/1343915576

I know, my Mom lives in Upstate NY and I grew up there it is cold. Not really quite enough snow in Morgantown to xc yet other than golf courses which are a little touchy about it. I am a long time tele skier and I just bought a pair of used leather 75mm boots. Funny how things come back around. I started tele skiing back in the very early '80's and I just bought a pair of boots that are pretty much identical to what I started on! Now, if I can only find a reasonable priced pair of waxless skis that have a reasonable amount of sidecut.

• 4 weeks later...