Road cycling in here

10 hours ago, NYMXer said:

I'm looking to buy a new road bike, what do you guys think of this one

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-sl-2-kom-2017

Like it or suggest an equal. Thanks

What no disc brakes!!!!  ? I can't answer this without some bias as I ride a Giant Defy 2.  I love it.  Although admittedly I don't ride as long or far as you.  Oh I do like the Shimano Ultegra groupset and not a real fan of tubeless tires.  Mine will be going away after I put some more miles on them.  Overall I say pull the trigger. 

Edited by Haglar
spelling

11 hours ago, NYMXer said:

Hard to go wrong with Giant. At that price, it better be composition and have a damn good group set (which it does, I see).

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, NYMXer said:

Ever get a new bike?

Although I'm reallllllly late to the party, I'm kinda partial to the Ridley's(I own a helium, their climbing bike.) Less than $3k and comparable specs(except wheels)...also firsthand experience, the Helium rides like nothing this side of a Roubaix/Domane on rough roads. These bikes have an excellent finish and they're kinda unique compared to all the Trek's, Spesh's, Giants, 'dales, etc.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-helium-slx-ultegra-complete-road-bike-2017?skidn=RID005A-BLA-S&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlJpZGxleSBSb2FkIEJpa2VzICYgRnJhbWVzOjE6MjoxMDAwMDEyNTRfY2NDYXQxMDAxNzE=

BLA_D1.jpg

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

Ever get a new bike?

Although I'm reallllllly late to the party, I'm kinda partial to the Ridley's(I own a helium, their climbing bike.) Less than $3k and comparable specs(except wheels)...also firsthand experience, the Helium rides like nothing this side of a Roubaix/Domane on rough roads. These bikes have an excellent finish and they're kinda unique compared to all the Trek's, Spesh's, Giants, 'dales, etc.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-helium-slx-ultegra-complete-road-bike-2017?skidn=RID005A-BLA-S&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlJpZGxleSBSb2FkIEJpa2VzICYgRnJhbWVzOjE6MjoxMDAwMDEyNTRfY2NDYXQxMDAxNzE=

BLA_D1.jpg

Thanks, now I get to lust for yet another thing I can't afford. 

Seriously though, that's a killer price.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the local Giant shop today to pick up some tubes and Stan's. 

They had a pretty TCR discounted to $3500 with the Dura-Ace groupset. Also, the tag said it weighs 15.5lb, which ain't too shabby. 

I wish I could afford something like that right now. Oh well, I'll just keep pedalling my 21lb Spesh Allez. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Bought a frame to build up. The price was too good. 

AF49B21A-F4CD-4132-B3DC-B2DAACDF10BB.jpeg.3e9608a08b555722eb8a25860cf3bc80.jpeg

"Brand new" 2016 disc Tarmac. 

The plan is an 11-34, 50/34 Ultegra groupset, and some 1500g carbon wheels (no idea what yet).

Total build should come in just over $3500 if I do it right. 

By the plan you have in place and components, you will have a very nice bike.  I'm jealous/envious.  Please post pics as you go along with the build.  

On 5/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, Haglar said:

By the plan you have in place and components, you will have a very nice bike.  I'm jealous/envious.  Please post pics as you go along with the build.  

Sure thing! 

Turns out the frame is made for di2 only. On the plus side, I got a killer deal on an Ultegra di2 disc groupset. 172.5mm 50/34 crankset, 11-28 cassette, all the goodies. And for about the same price the non-di2 rim set goes for. 

Still needs wheels, bars, and a saddle. 

12 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Sure thing! 

Turns out the frame is made for di2 only. On the plus side, I got a killer deal on an Ultegra di2 disc groupset. 172.5mm 50/34 crankset, 11-28 cassette, all the goodies. And for about the same price the non-di2 rim set goes for. 

Still needs wheels, bars, and a saddle. 

Going with disc brakes huh?  But, with that deal, don't blame ya. Got (hydraulic) disc on my Giant. Little added weight, but I sure like em.  Good luck on the saddle hunt.  Man, the was literally a  painful experience for me.  

Took my road bike out Tuesday.

1D16FEAC-8BAF-43C2-94A1-5A08FF1633F3.thumb.jpeg.75c8d6d9973b1559a2802363e9c8f1f6.jpeg

Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.8000E2DE-940F-4793-B4BD-4C9A76CEA64A.jpeg.6750bc9361918fb6fdbcd941c72e7266.jpeg

It also took me behind the ENVE wheel factory. 

My wife and I will be participating in a few rides this season, starting with a 50mi gran fondo in July. The goal is to ride a century in September.

Also, I've installed a bit of the di2 groupset on my new frame. I will need an adapter as the bottom bracket is bb30 and the Shimano crankset is 24mm. But that's a pretty easy fix. 

C3EDBB78-A126-4BA8-97E8-DB48069F1D30.jpeg.4ac4a7409138e32b4bebca0a963671e6.jpeg

Edited by MarioThePlumber
  • Like 1

Took my road bike out Tuesday.
1D16FEAC-8BAF-43C2-94A1-5A08FF1633F3.thumb.jpeg.75c8d6d9973b1559a2802363e9c8f1f6.jpeg
Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.8000E2DE-940F-4793-B4BD-4C9A76CEA64A.jpeg.6750bc9361918fb6fdbcd941c72e7266.jpeg
It also took me behind the ENVE wheel factory. 
My wife and I will be participating in a few rides this season, starting with a 50mi gran fondo in July. The goal is to ride a century in September.
Also, I've installed a bit of the di2 groupset on my new frame. I will need an adapter as the bottom bracket is bb30 and the Shimano crankset is 24mm. But that's a pretty easy fix. 
Get out of town someplace relatively flat and crank out 60 or 70 miles. It's a crazy feeling when you're flat gassed and still 15 miles or more out. Digging deep through the pain feels so good.

30 minutes ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.

25 miles isn't bad.  It's all about comfort on the bike then the miles just flow.  I did a 60 mile group ride last weekend.  Plum kicked my butt.  Too many hills and my legs were screaming and started having saddle issues.  Made for a long ride.  

I'm really liking the group set you got going.  

• Like 1

I know many of us also ride our cycles on the road and thought we could share our journeys and rides here,
I rode almost 100 miles over the weekend on three separate rides. We are experiencing warmer than normal temps here in the Catskills of New York State and I figured I'm going to ride and all else can wait.
What app do you use when you ride? Me, I have my Garmin and use "Sports Tracker" on my phone (free app). I know that the popular cycling app is Strava but I haven;t used it yet. I do like the segments features and that Garmin and Strava can communicate together.
I'm picking up a new Specialized Roubiax this week. A little late for this year maybe, but I got an awesome deal on it that was hard to turn down. I'll post pics when I get it home.

Strava is the one to use.

• 2 months later...

Nice. Best upgrade on any bike is always to better wheels. Aero beats lightness for everything short of very steep climbing.

I tend to prefer the deeper dish like a Zipp 404 but you pay a bit for the extra aero with a bit more ride stiffness.

If that picture reflects yours, at least you got good hubs. DT Swiss are reliable. The OEM hubs on my Zipps were shit (which Zipp are well know for) and so eventually I had to swap them out and chose Chris King which are near bombproof but it would be nice if Zipp put decent hubs on their wheels to begin with.

Now you just need electric shifters to match your fancy wheels :-)