NYMXer

Road cycling in here

22 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
4 hours ago, NYMXer said:
Many people come up with similar excuses when they get all the questions wrong, haha

Im a trivia Monster, just be glad the tech excludes me.

Naturally I was just teasing but truthfully, we really welcome trivia smarties and I hope you figure out your issues and join in. Nothing feels better than beating those that proclaim their superiority and there is no shame in losing when you give it your best shot.

• Like 1

Here in the NE USA, it's way too cold for any outdoor riding other than MTB's, and during hunting season, that too has problems... SO, does anyone use an indoor trainer and Zwift?

Here is my NYC Zwift ride from yesterday. Looking to share rides, tips and other info with others using the app

https://www.strava.com/activities/2006753018

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarioThePlumber said:

I just used it for the first time yesterday!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2007620126

I think my wattage looks suspiciously high though. I'm using a dumb trainer and a speed sensor, but Strava actually has a resistance curve for my particular trainer.

Wattage does seem high, but your HR shows that you were putting out power. I'm using a Wahoo KickR, electronic with magnets and very realistic. I am amazed at ho much I sweat riding on that wheel off machine.

Kudos on both Strava and playing the Trivia game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYMXer said:

Wattage does seem high, but your HR shows that you were putting out power. I'm using a Wahoo KickR, electronic with magnets and very realistic. I am amazed at ho much I sweat riding on that wheel off machine.

Kudos on both Strava and playing the Trivia game

Thanks man. Trivia is fun. I don't know how you guys do it so fast though. I always take at least a minute to get through the questions...

One response was to increase the resistance between the tire and roller. I was at .75 turns and next time I'll go up to 1 turn. I should focus on HR. It's much more real time.

Edited by MarioThePlumber

I am new to using a trainer Mario, so I have no advice for you. I do know someone who has a Peloton and they have to manually turn the tension knob while riding, sort of a pain. I think in your case, there isn't much difference between flat and the hills with a tension knob.

My Wahoo uses electric magnets and does it itself in harmony with the ride on the screen. It is very realistic, works up a sweat fast and does get the heart, lungs, legs and body working hard but it doesn't engage the mind, which mine gets bored easily. Music helps, as does riding with friends but again, I am still learning what is possible with this set up and program.

The only bad thing about the Wahoo, is that you can't coast down the hills without losing speed unless the grade is -9% or greater... odd quirk that is unrealisitc, but the only one I found so far. I love that I can ride with friends, or against others, do training rides and even race

Going to replace my Shimano pedals with these:
0E8D4FD0-F71D-4ABB-B51A-F4A1128F465A.thumb.jpeg.cfe5c95e164f91857a565818d77c890b.jpeg
These weigh over 100g less than my current setup and 50g less than the Dura Aces.

If it’s weight you’re trying to save get Look Keo Carbon Ti pedals...

IMG_2105.JPG

...an added benefit is that they are truly awesome pedals — the best in my book.

4 hours ago, Tahoe Gator said:

If it’s weight you’re trying to save get Look Keo Carbon Ti pedals...

IMG_2105.JPG

...an added benefit is that they are truly awesome pedals — the best in my book.

Those are pretty sweet! But I can't afford $400 pedals...

I'm happy though. Carbon pedals that are under 200g for $68 shipped!

2C89D2EC-A005-449D-833C-DBC8580944DD.thumb.jpeg.c219f6331a7fde5fd99a098350c3d69a.jpeg

Edited by MarioThePlumber

Haven't posted in awhile.  Rest assured I'm lurking.  Good to see everyone still riding.  I was out riding last Monday and it finally happened.  Got hit by a car.  The knucklehead turn right in front of me and I T-boned him.  Basically fished tailed into the side of his car.  First and foremost the bike sustained nothing but cosmetic damage.  Me well this 52 year old body don't like taking hits like that anymore.  Nothing broke.  I will heal.  Probably be off the bike for a couple of weeks.  Here's the pics.  Be safe out there guys.

injury.JPG

Ouch.JPG

• Sad 1

Haven't posted in awhile.  Rest assured I'm lurking.  Good to see everyone still riding.  I was out riding last Monday and it finally happened.  Got hit by a car.  The knucklehead turn right in front of me and I T-boned him.  Basically fished tailed into the side of his car.  First and foremost the bike sustained nothing but cosmetic damage.  Me well this 52 year old body don't like taking hits like that anymore.  Nothing broke.  I will heal.  Probably be off the bike for a couple of weeks.  Here's the pics.  Be safe out there guys.

injury.thumb.JPG.36b76d41e7e6d7e23d113161e9aa6205.JPG

Ouch.thumb.JPG.011736ce1b0b66c5145d80c384719e92.JPG

Ouch. It can happen to any of us.

I already run the Garmin Varia (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/518151) which is the best safety invention for cycling ever IMHO. I am sure it has saved some lives. But as good as it it, it won’t help in front of you...

...so I’ve taken to running a front flasher. A simple LED stretchy one that fits by elastic around the bars near my stem. I went searching for a pic to share and found this...

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/daytime_running_lights/

...which after reading your post I might get to upgrade the brightness and forward visibility...or on further research I might just go all-in on Garmin with this...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/550821

...a friend has it and raves about it. Added bonus would be seeing the road when finishing a ride at dusk.

2 hours ago, Haglar said:

injury.JPG

Ouch.JPG

Oof! Good to hear it's not much more than some bruising but that looks painful! Hopefully it heals quick!

I, too, run a small LED on the front and rear when I'm commuting. I'm pretty fortunate to have literally 150+ miles of paved trail within a couple miles of my home.