Jump to content
NYMXer

Road cycling in here

Recommended Posts

On 5/28/2016 at 5:40 AM, kyli3 said:

I'll bring this back to life.

I ride a 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 2.

My biggest ride was 152 kms through the Rocky Mountains.

I have a Garmin Edge 500, and use Strava.

Let's see if we can breath some life back in here

What route through the rockies?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NYMXer said:

I'm looking to buy a new road bike, what do you guys think of this one

 

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-sl-2-kom-2017

 

Like it or suggest an equal. Thanks

What no disc brakes!!!!  :smirk: I can't answer this without some bias as I ride a Giant Defy 2.  I love it.  Although admittedly I don't ride as long or far as you.  Oh I do like the Shimano Ultegra groupset and not a real fan of tubeless tires.  Mine will be going away after I put some more miles on them.  Overall I say pull the trigger. 

Edited by Haglar
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NYMXer said:

I'm looking to buy a new road bike, what do you guys think of this one

 

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-sl-2-kom-2017

 

Like it or suggest an equal. Thanks

Hard to go wrong with Giant. At that price, it better be composition and have a damn good group set (which it does, I see).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 5:01 PM, NYMXer said:

I'm looking to buy a new road bike, what do you guys think of this one

 

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-sl-2-kom-2017

 

Like it or suggest an equal. Thanks

Ever get a new bike?

Although I'm reallllllly late to the party, I'm kinda partial to the Ridley's(I own a helium, their climbing bike.) Less than $3k and comparable specs(except wheels)...also firsthand experience, the Helium rides like nothing this side of a Roubaix/Domane on rough roads. These bikes have an excellent finish and they're kinda unique compared to all the Trek's, Spesh's, Giants, 'dales, etc.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-helium-slx-ultegra-complete-road-bike-2017?skidn=RID005A-BLA-S&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlJpZGxleSBSb2FkIEJpa2VzICYgRnJhbWVzOjE6MjoxMDAwMDEyNTRfY2NDYXQxMDAxNzE=

 

BLA_D1.jpg

Edited by Sierra_rider
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

Ever get a new bike?

Although I'm reallllllly late to the party, I'm kinda partial to the Ridley's(I own a helium, their climbing bike.) Less than $3k and comparable specs(except wheels)...also firsthand experience, the Helium rides like nothing this side of a Roubaix/Domane on rough roads. These bikes have an excellent finish and they're kinda unique compared to all the Trek's, Spesh's, Giants, 'dales, etc.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ridley-helium-slx-ultegra-complete-road-bike-2017?skidn=RID005A-BLA-S&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOlJpZGxleSBSb2FkIEJpa2VzICYgRnJhbWVzOjE6MjoxMDAwMDEyNTRfY2NDYXQxMDAxNzE=

 

BLA_D1.jpg

 Thanks, now I get to lust for yet another thing I can't afford. 

Seriously though, that's a killer price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MarioThePlumber said:

 Thanks, now I get to lust for yet another thing I can't afford. 

Seriously though, that's a killer price.

 

I know. Mine's a 2014 and still in good shape, yet I still would love to buy a new one.:banghead:

 

 

SAM_0059_zps06318fd7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped by the local Giant shop today to pick up some tubes and Stan's. 

They had a pretty TCR discounted to $3500 with the Dura-Ace groupset. Also, the tag said it weighs 15.5lb, which ain't too shabby. 

I wish I could afford something like that right now. Oh well, I'll just keep pedalling my 21lb Spesh Allez. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a frame to build up. The price was too good. 

AF49B21A-F4CD-4132-B3DC-B2DAACDF10BB.jpeg.3e9608a08b555722eb8a25860cf3bc80.jpeg

"Brand new" 2016 disc Tarmac. 

The plan is an 11-34, 50/34 Ultegra groupset, and some 1500g carbon wheels (no idea what yet).

Total build should come in just over $3500 if I do it right. 

Edited by MarioThePlumber
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Bought a frame to build up. The price was too good. 

AF49B21A-F4CD-4132-B3DC-B2DAACDF10BB.jpeg.3e9608a08b555722eb8a25860cf3bc80.jpeg

"Brand new" 2016 disc Tarmac. 

The plan is an 11-34, 50/34 Ultegra groupset, and some 1500g carbon wheels (no idea what yet).

Total build should come in just over $3500 if I do it right. 

By the plan you have in place and components, you will have a very nice bike.  I'm jealous/envious.  Please post pics as you go along with the build.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, Haglar said:

By the plan you have in place and components, you will have a very nice bike.  I'm jealous/envious.  Please post pics as you go along with the build.  

Sure thing! 

Turns out the frame is made for di2 only. On the plus side, I got a killer deal on an Ultegra di2 disc groupset. 172.5mm 50/34 crankset, 11-28 cassette, all the goodies. And for about the same price the non-di2 rim set goes for. 

Still needs wheels, bars, and a saddle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Sure thing! 

Turns out the frame is made for di2 only. On the plus side, I got a killer deal on an Ultegra di2 disc groupset. 172.5mm 50/34 crankset, 11-28 cassette, all the goodies. And for about the same price the non-di2 rim set goes for. 

Still needs wheels, bars, and a saddle. 

Going with disc brakes huh?  But, with that deal, don't blame ya. Got (hydraulic) disc on my Giant. Little added weight, but I sure like em.  Good luck on the saddle hunt.  Man, the was literally a  painful experience for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took my road bike out Tuesday.

1D16FEAC-8BAF-43C2-94A1-5A08FF1633F3.thumb.jpeg.75c8d6d9973b1559a2802363e9c8f1f6.jpeg

Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.8000E2DE-940F-4793-B4BD-4C9A76CEA64A.jpeg.6750bc9361918fb6fdbcd941c72e7266.jpeg

It also took me behind the ENVE wheel factory. 

My wife and I will be participating in a few rides this season, starting with a 50mi gran fondo in July. The goal is to ride a century in September.

Also, I've installed a bit of the di2 groupset on my new frame. I will need an adapter as the bottom bracket is bb30 and the Shimano crankset is 24mm. But that's a pretty easy fix. 

C3EDBB78-A126-4BA8-97E8-DB48069F1D30.jpeg.4ac4a7409138e32b4bebca0a963671e6.jpeg

Edited by MarioThePlumber
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Took my road bike out Tuesday.
1D16FEAC-8BAF-43C2-94A1-5A08FF1633F3.thumb.jpeg.75c8d6d9973b1559a2802363e9c8f1f6.jpeg
Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.8000E2DE-940F-4793-B4BD-4C9A76CEA64A.jpeg.6750bc9361918fb6fdbcd941c72e7266.jpeg
It also took me behind the ENVE wheel factory. 
My wife and I will be participating in a few rides this season, starting with a 50mi gran fondo in July. The goal is to ride a century in September.
Also, I've installed a bit of the di2 groupset on my new frame. I will need an adapter as the bottom bracket is bb30 and the Shimano crankset is 24mm. But that's a pretty easy fix. 
C3EDBB78-A126-4BA8-97E8-DB48069F1D30.jpeg.4ac4a7409138e32b4bebca0a963671e6.jpeg
Get out of town someplace relatively flat and crank out 60 or 70 miles. It's a crazy feeling when you're flat gassed and still 15 miles or more out. Digging deep through the pain feels so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MarioThePlumber said:

Only 25 miles, but it is the longest distance I've ridden ever.

My wife and I will be participating in a few rides this season, starting with a 50mi gran fondo in July. The goal is to ride a century in September.

Also, I've installed a bit of the di2 groupset on my new frame. I will need an adapter as the bottom bracket is bb30 and the Shimano crankset is 24mm. But that's a pretty easy fix. 

C3EDBB78-A126-4BA8-97E8-DB48069F1D30.jpeg.4ac4a7409138e32b4bebca0a963671e6.jpeg

25 miles isn't bad.  It's all about comfort on the bike then the miles just flow.  I did a 60 mile group ride last weekend.  Plum kicked my butt.  Too many hills and my legs were screaming and started having saddle issues.  Made for a long ride.  

I'm really liking the group set you got going.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I know many of us also ride our cycles on the road and thought we could share our journeys and rides here,
I rode almost 100 miles over the weekend on three separate rides. We are experiencing warmer than normal temps here in the Catskills of New York State and I figured I'm going to ride and all else can wait.
What app do you use when you ride? Me, I have my Garmin and use "Sports Tracker" on my phone (free app). I know that the popular cycling app is Strava but I haven;t used it yet. I do like the segments features and that Garmin and Strava can communicate together.
I'm picking up a new Specialized Roubiax this week. A little late for this year maybe, but I got an awesome deal on it that was hard to turn down. I'll post pics when I get it home.
 


Strava is the one to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice. Best upgrade on any bike is always to better wheels. Aero beats lightness for everything short of very steep climbing.

I tend to prefer the deeper dish like a Zipp 404 but you pay a bit for the extra aero with a bit more ride stiffness.

If that picture reflects yours, at least you got good hubs. DT Swiss are reliable. The OEM hubs on my Zipps were shit (which Zipp are well know for) and so eventually I had to swap them out and chose Chris King which are near bombproof but it would be nice if Zipp put decent hubs on their wheels to begin with.

Now you just need electric shifters to match your fancy wheels :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...