Sign in to follow this  

15/39 how many links do you guys recommend i lose

Hi guys, love the forum has been very valuable, i have just fitted a 15/39 sprocket combo with a 112 link chain, i have noticed that if i remove 2 links it lines up great but the adjusters are already on the 6.2, i was thinking of pulling out 4 links so i have some more adjustment.

Any input from you guys, guys that have similar set ups or the same, just looking for advice, thanks in advance

Edited by suzukisoldier

I run 15/39 gearing and am on the stock 112link chain still. On my bike It's adjusted kinda far back, buts I still have room to spare. I'm gunna get a new chain and do 110 link which should be perfect.

Not sure if all chains are created equal though so everyone's outcome may be slightly different?.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

I always buy 120link chain and cut it to the shortest I can fit it to the sprocket to be used (adjuster all the way in/forward).

• Like 2

it really doesnt matter where its at on the adjuster as long as you have a few clicks left .. using anywhere near 'half the range' of the adjuster over the life of the chain and its shot anyway .. i'd leave it as long as will work ..

it really doesnt matter where its at on the adjuster as long as you have a few clicks left .. using anywhere near 'half the range' of the adjuster over the life of the chain and its shot anyway .. i'd leave it as long as will work ..

I prefer to have the shortest wheelbase possible on my SM.

Make flipping side to side quicker and better response in the tight corner.

I prefer to have the shortest wheelbase possible on my SM.

Make flipping side to side quicker and better response in the tight corner.

im sure youre a professional street racer and can use that theoretical edge .. most of us fall into the practicality category though i think ..

• Like 1

Might be a placebo effect ..but I can feel the different on both of my track/race bike(05 GSXR600 and 89 RS125)..so I just do the same to my commuter (DRZ400SM)

thanks guys for your input, i ended up going crazy and taking 4 links out and now it is on the 1.3, i bought a ek 520 sr2 quadraring chain so i should get 10-15,000 km's out of it before i decide if i like the gearing, i like riding long distance and at high speed while being able to blast fast trails so i think i will be happy with the 15/39, will see how it goes, might end up buying another bike soon and then may put drz more dirt orientated but i love go anywhere, good travel suspension riding, its my thing.

• Like 1

thanks guys for your input, i ended up going crazy and taking 4 links out and now it is on the 1.3, i bought a ek 520 sr2 quadraring chain so i should get 10-15,000 km's out of it before i decide if i like the gearing, i like riding long distance and at high speed while being able to blast fast trails so i think i will be happy with the 15/39, will see how it goes, might end up buying another bike soon and then may put drz more dirt orientated but i love go anywhere, good travel suspension riding, its my thing.

Please give some feedback on that gearing.  I have a 39 tooth sprocket just waiting to be installed.  I thought about going with a 16 up front, which would be close to the 15/39 that you're talking about, but the feeling is it may be too tall.  Let me know how yours works out for you....

Thanks,

Warner

Please give some feedback on that gearing.  I have a 39 tooth sprocket just waiting to be installed.  I thought about going with a 16 up front, which would be close to the 15/39 that you're talking about, but the feeling is it may be too tall.  Let me know how yours works out for you....

Thanks,

Warner

mate i think a 16 up front will require some grinding, the 15 fit but i had to remove all sprocket guarding, i read on another thread on here that you need to grind some clearance for a 16 front sprocket, i know i would rather go down in the rear teeth then try and go up further in the front.

using gearing commander my theoretical speed was 156 km/h or 90ish mph, will give feed back after a month of riding

• Like 1

mate i think a 16 up front will require some grinding, the 15 fit but i had to remove all sprocket guarding, i read on another thread on here that you need to grind some clearance for a 16 front sprocket, i know i would rather go down in the rear teeth then try and go up further in the front.

using gearing commander my theoretical speed was 156 km/h or 90ish mph, will give feed back after a month of riding

I have the S, which comes from the factory with a 15 up front.  But I have read the same thing you have about some "clearancing" if a 16 is installed.  I'll try the 15/41 first.  

Warner

I have just gone from a 15/44 to a 15/41 tooth and it now rides at 70mph with no problem, i'd say around 7000rpm? i managed to get 100mph (on a private closed road) with a bit of a headwind, although i think the speedo is around 7- 8mph out (fast) at that speed.

I made lots of changes including a conversion from S to SM and a set of E cams at the same time as fitting new chain and sprocket kit, for me it has now started to feel like a road bike in the way that it pulls, it has lost the bottom end torque and to me that is what the drz is about, that's what makes it fun!!

Personally i will be going back to a larger sprocket but i only ride for fun not as a means of transport, but i think for your purposes you will be happy with the 15/41.

Edited by Bassit
  • Like 1

the E has 7 hp standard over the SM so i think the motor should still pull hard with my gearing, i have a mrd pro to go on the bike when i am sure my local law enforcement won't shoot me for riding it with the stock exhaust with no baffles

well interested readers, got info to report back, gearing is super wide, makes 4th gear good for 65 km/h (40 mph) at around 3-4000 rpm, will sit on 125km/h (77 mph) at around 5000 rpm in 5th all day long, i lose a little drive out of tight corners to my friends 2015 drz400 sm with yoshi pipe and rejet, love how the bike feels on open sweeping corners, i weigh 116 kg and am 6'3 and i saw 156 km/h (96 mph) with a decent headwind. bike runs cool and is quite easy to ride, leaving line hard takes a little skill but i plan to keep these gears forever, when this rear sprocket wears i will buy a 41t to try but will also buy a 39t as i love how it commutes, very happy with the set up

may i ask why do you use a supermoto instead of a commuter bike?   drz is perfect for lighweight riders making a lot of bends and no straight roads.

for heavy riders and high speed commuting there are much better bikes

put sprocket on.

axle pushed forward (Adjuster screwed in all the way)

fit the chain the thightiest you can and cut accordingly.

you can never cut it too short that way!

well interested readers, got info to report back, gearing is super wide, makes 4th gear good for 65 km/h (40 mph) at around 3-4000 rpm, will sit on 125km/h (77 mph) at around 5000 rpm in 5th all day long, i lose a little drive out of tight corners to my friends 2015 drz400 sm with yoshi pipe and rejet, love how the bike feels on open sweeping corners, i weigh 116 kg and am 6'3 and i saw 156 km/h (96 mph) with a decent headwind. bike runs cool and is quite easy to ride, leaving line hard takes a little skill but i plan to keep these gears forever, when this rear sprocket wears i will buy a 41t to try but will also buy a 39t as i love how it commutes, very happy with the set up

Your speedo sounds like it's way out, I'm running 16/43 which is very close to your 15/39 and at 5,000 rpm I'm going about 95kms on my calibrated Trailtech speedo/GPS.  But I love the gearing for everything put tight singletrack.  For that I throw on a 13T, crawls up almost anything.

may i ask why do you use a supermoto instead of a commuter bike?   drz is perfect for lighweight riders making a lot of bends and no straight roads.

for heavy riders and high speed commuting there are much better bikes

i like the suspension clearance and ability to ride fast dirt tracks and fire trails, i also treat the world like my personal mx track

Your speedo sounds like it's way out, I'm running 16/43 which is very close to your 15/39 and at 5,000 rpm I'm going about 95kms on my calibrated Trailtech speedo/GPS.  But I love the gearing for everything put tight singletrack.  For that I throw on a 13T, crawls up almost anything.

I am guessing about the revs, i don't have a tacho so i am trying to grade the sound of the motor with about half throttle cruising at 125 km/h, vs when i was holding it pinned and winding it out to hit 156 km/h

the rev you're talking about are those I see with the ACT wide ratio transmission and 15/41  (120km/h is right at 5400rpm..which WAYY lower then stock transmission)

You can add about 2000rpm for the stock transmission in 5th gear at 125.