Sign in to follow this  

88 XR600R, What is this manifold?

Hello first post.

Been looking for an XR or XL for some time and came across what looks like a good deal. Non-starter and a bit beat up but turns over and everything is there minus some small things. Seems to have good compression and has spark, carb was stuck. I don't mind rebuilding it.

My goal is to try and plate it, and if that goes ok then I'll make it supermoto: lights and 17" rims. Otherwise it'll be dirt only.

Anyway, while stripping things out I came across this (sorry crappy pic).

Does anyone know what it is? There is a big hose that looped around into the carb outlet. It was JB welded into a hole drilled on the side of the carb. Not sure what this could be achieving... Parts fiche show a completely different manifold.

Thanks!

Anyone? I'm just gonna yank it out and put the stock boot back on, I was wondering what the hell this was doing though.

Really? What happens when you click on the links above?

Let me see if I can upload a picture. Thanks for your patience.

20151108_153134.jpg

My thought too, it's coming out alright...

There's a big a$$ tube wrapping around, from manifold to carb and someone drilled a hole in the carb next to where it slips into the boot to connect that. I'll just have to whip out the JB weld. Looks unmolested apart from that.

Thanks for looking

What's with the manifold adapter? I am curious what carb is on the bike with that adapter stuck in there.

Wow! That thing is crazy. It looks like it was scavenged from some other application and re drilled to bolt to the xr.???

Post up a couple more pics after it is removed and also the hole in the carb.

Yup. Not a stock manifold. Some body swapped something from another bike on there. Could be set up as a PCV valve if hooked directly to the crankcase breather. Whether that would be advantageous is debatable. I've tried it with inconclusive results. Edited by valvesrule

Some more pics of the hook ups.

Carb hole after I cleaned it up, forgot to take a pic as it came out.

20151110_180634.jpg

The hose, the ANF part attaches to the manifold, the other to the hole in the carb, essentially looping around.

20151111_074313.jpg

Close up of the mitered end that was stuck to the carb. Of course it snapped loose when I was pulling the carb out.

20151111_074326.jpg

Redneck repair to plug the hole, waiting to dry so I can clean it up a bit.

20151111_074413.jpg

I'll remove the manifold and post some pics before I chuck the thing.

redneck nitrous feed. :rolleyes:

Lol! The airbox smells strongly of rat's pee, so there is that.... My dog was all over the bike when it got home, I thought he was just as excited as me :)

Some more pics of the adapter itself.

20151111_165814.jpg

Backside

20151111_165841.jpg

The boot has a thin plate that looks like this:

20151111_165854.jpg

Without the boot

20151111_165906.jpg

Couple more angles

20151111_165916.jpg

20151111_165934.jpg

Finally got the bike started with the proper boot and carb fix. Carb needed some thorough cleaning as well. And I made a new choke plate of course, no idea where the other part went. If it went into the engine it was fixed well there are no signs whatsoever on valve stems or piston crown.

What a bear to start though, took me a while to figure out the right spot to start the kick at. Need to put in a decomp lever clearing the cylinder is hard like this. After a few coughs it fired up, runs well once warmed, solid idle and easy to start warm.

I guess the loop manifold will remain a mystery...

Thats all good news! :thumbsup:   But research starting procedure, its easy if you know the combination, but  if you continually do it wrong, your chances of hurting you or bike, increases. :crazy: