Sign in to follow this  

What is this bracket for? Is the weld from the factory?

Good morning!

I finally got my frst dirtbike (only took 30 years haha).  I bought a 2002 CR125R that needs some TLC and engine work for super cheap.  I plan to do complete frame up rebuild over the winter. 

When I started looking closer at it I noticed a small weld on a bracket near the rear shock. 

I have two questions...

1)  What exactly does this bracket do? 

2)  The weld/cracked weld, is this weld from the factory? Should I be concerned that it cracked, it is so small, it doesn't seem like a big deal but I am not sure. 

Thanks everyone!

Cr1.JPG

CR2.JPG

CR3.JPG

Thanks, looking at the parts diagram for the tank I see that now.

I now assume that weld is to stop that bracket from rotating, therefore it is from the factory and supposed to be there.  So should I get it re-welded?

Thanks, looking at the parts diagram for the tank I see that now.

I now assume that weld is to stop that bracket from rotating, therefore it is from the factory and supposed to be there. So should I get it re-welded?

If you'd like

Mine is still present but my bike didn't have the tank strap when I bought it used

2 years and plenty of races later it has never given me even the slightest issue

Along with the tank strap it also acts as a spacer when the subframe is bolted supporting the mount from being crushed

• Like 1