Sign in to follow this  

Gytr Kickstarter delete kit.

44 hours on my fx and I've never even tried the Kickstarter. How many of you guys have had the electric start fail? I already ordered the kit but I figured it would be a good idea to see if there are problems I'm unaware of.

My battery died on the line for a race last weekend. No way I'm removing the kicker. 33 hours on the bike and about 25 on the Shorai battery. 

• Like 2

E-start only is fine for an MX bike where you can see you truck from everywhere you will be riding. A trail bike on the other hand... I would NEVER buy one that did not have some type of manual starter.

• Like 1

I'm running a shorai too. Just a bad battery? Is this common for shorai? Why did your battery die beezerI've

I've had 2 Shorai die on me.  Both were a couple of months old.

I like Anti Gravity batteries better.  They seem like they're better quality.

If I didn't have a kickstarter I would have sat in the truck while everyone else went riding.

• Like 1

I've had 2 Shorai die on me.  Both were a couple of months old.

Did you claim warranty on either one? How did it go?

I'm planning to send mine in, but I need to fill out the form and I keep forgetting to get the lot number off the battery.

They made good on 1 right away, the 2nd one took some emails a phone call and a few months.

Would you take your spare tire out of you car/truck?

I know I wouldn't, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by mmmm waffles

Can you weigh the parts removed and parts installed to confirm or bust the claimed weight reduction?

I'm looking to do the same.

Having to bump start the bike IF something fails doesn't worry me.

• Like 2

Can you weigh the parts removed and parts installed to confirm or bust the claimed weight reduction?

I'm pretty sure Yamaha misplaced the decimal point on the claimed weight reduction. 1-1.5 pounds makes more sense than 10-15 pounds that I saw in their description. I'm pretty sure I can bust their claim without trying to borrow scales from the neighborhood weed dealer.
  • Like 3

I thought the same untill I saw the Australian site with a weight saving listed as 4.73 kg. I'm still skeptical.

• Like 1

I'll check it out for you 2 banga. I can't believe that the kicker parts weigh 10 pounds though.

• Like 1

Having to bump start the bike IF something fails doesn't worry me.[/quote. Haha if the fx is like the wr good luck trying to pump start it try it then come back and tell me how you got on .

Would you take your spare tire out of you car/truck?

I know I wouldn't, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I accidentally bought a truck without a spare tire and drove it for 12 years with no problems.   Keep an eye on things and you'll be fine.

Having to bump start the bike IF something fails doesn't worry me.[/quote. Haha if the fx is like the wr good luck trying to pump start it try it then come back and tell me how you got on .

I had to pull start my WR450F a while back.   I was surprised at how well that worked.   3rd gear, get up some speed and let out the clutch and it goes.  Don't touch the throttle.   Once it is warm, it will bump start on any small hill.  Not much need for a kick starter on it in the rolling terrain where I ride.  Helps that it almost never stalls. 

We had a bike quit 6 miles into a tough ride.   We pulled it part way out until the trail got easier.   A pull strap is now standard fare in my kit.  That would be my go to starting method if the starter failed.

I want to remove the kicker starter on my FX as well.   The kit seems to be backordered right now.  I'd love to know how much weight it removes. 

I ordered a Shoria battery too.  The stock battery weighs 4.48 pounds.   The Shorai weighs 1.32.   Net loss is 3.16 pounds, high up on the bike.   The Shoria is 9Ah, whereas the stock battery is only 6Ah.  Not sure about CCA though.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I've yet to be successful bump starting my FX. On my WR if we were stopped for a break at a hill I would just roll and bump start when we would head back out. I usually try the same on the FX and the wheel just stays locked up and I slide to a stop. I don't mind though, because at least it means I have good compression.

And yeah.. No manual start on a trail bike? Not a chance.

Until you stall it at the bottom of a ravine with nowhere to go but up and your starter/battery fails.

I accidentally bought a truck without a spare tire and drove it for 12 years with no problems.   Keep an eye on things and you'll be fine.

That was just plain old dumb luck then. Keeping an eye on things won't prevent you from running over a nail on the freeway.

I had to pull start my WR450F a while back.   I was surprised at how well that worked.   3rd gear, get up some speed and let out the clutch and it goes.  Don't touch the throttle.   Once it is warm, it will bump start on any small hill.  Not much need for a kick starter on it in the rolling terrain where I ride.  Helps that it almost never stalls. 

Strange, my 2012 does not bump start easily at all. My 2006 would bump start at walking pace. To bump start by 2012 I need to be going like 15 mph, 4th gear, and excellent traction. It's a pain because sometimes I stall when riding and I would like to just be able to pull in the clutch and bump start it without hardly slowing down at all like I could with my 2006 but it usually does not work with the 2012. May just be my FI settings though.

• Like 1

You have another option to bump starting at the bottom of the proverbial ravine, but you need two people.  

1. Put the bike in 4th gear.

2. Lean the bike on the sidestand so the rear tire is off the ground.

3. Spin the rear tire by hand.  (watch your pinkies)

4. And it's just that easy.

It will fire right up.  For you guys with farm background, think like starting an old John Deere twin cylinder tractor.

• Like 1

2 weeks ago I fell off my WR450 in a gully and broke the e-start button on the handlebar.

If I hadn't had a kick starter my buddies and I would have had to drag the bike up the gully and hopefully find a place to jump start the thing.

And not stall it again.

And get an earful about being a moron for taking the kickstart off.

Edited by beezer