Sign in to follow this  

Looking at buying a 15 WR250F

Read all the good reviews, I am aware of the stopped up oem pipe, ecu upgrade need. I have negotiated a price with dealer for the bike and I have worked up a fair price at their parts counter for the GYTR slipon pipe and ecu. I have access to the tuner via a friend with a WR450F. He knows how to add maps and the like and I trust his know how on this. His 450 runs very good.

Handguards? Cycra pro bends still the go to brand? I plan to street legal it on down the trail so I can take it out west and places where I will need a license tag to get to and from off road areas. Dual sport kit Baja or Tusk? Really do not want to tie up a bunch of money in this direction. But on the other hand I am not an electrician by trade so my skill set on this is limited.

Last dirtbike I had was 07 RMZ450 and rode it until 2010 all woods riding, yes I had the suspension redone and added all the woods required stuff. It was a beast, way too much power in the woods. Fun bike though and very reliable. Owned 3 DRZ400's the S, E and SM. All good but to heavy. Had a DR650 in 2011 and it was a decent dual sport in nothing to technical but still a pig.

I own a Super Tenere and have taken it places 600 lb bikes do not need to go Utah, CO, Arizona and New Mexico. The new WR has caught my eye and I really think this bike will work for me. I have a long history of off road having grown up on them and my size suits this size bike, 5'9" 135140 lbs. I know the Yamaha is stone cold reliable as is most modern 4 stroke machines. Any little bits and pieces on it that I might have not read please share.

In the meantime I have been busy reading up on this forum.

personally I would wait until spring to get the 2016 wr450f, cuz it's got all the new plastics, radiator fan, and a better stator. but if you got a really good deal then stick with it, the 2016 is $9000!

After 14 years on orange I decided to give this new Yamaha a go. Previously I had 450 and lastly a 300 KTM. My Australian version WR comes with the performance kit installed and mapped. I put a bunch of time on a 2015 450wr and hated it. Fr bush riding the 250 is way more fun and easier to ride, as well as quicker in the bush. If you are a go fast on open terrain type super hero the 450 is a better option, but for in the bush the 250 wins out hands down.

After 14 years on orange I decided to give this new Yamaha a go. Previously I had 450 and lastly a 300 KTM. My Australian version WR comes with the performance kit installed and mapped. I put a bunch of time on a 2015 450wr and hated it. Fr bush riding the 250 is way more fun and easier to ride, as well as quicker in the bush. If you are a go fast on open terrain type super hero the 450 is a better option, but for in the bush the 250 wins out hands down.

Yep I bought the bike and have no regrets it is everything I hoped for and more. I have it uncorked and it is pretty darn good right out of the box in the trail riding I do. Makes good manageable power for a 250 and is super easy to handle. No regrets! great bike...

If you are a go fast on open terrain type super hero the 450 is a better option, but for in the bush the 250 wins out hands down.

Not according to some guys in here. Apparently a 450 handles no different than a 250. It just has more power.

No, I'm not one of those guys. I agree with you fully.

I used to ride 450s I have to disagree. They do have more than enough power but It becomes a point where you cannot harness the power especially true in the riding I do, tight woods. For me the 250 seems the obvious choice. Never tried a 350 but doing that means I would need a KTM and I am not sinking that kind of money into a dirtbike no matter how good it's suppose to be. Not keen on buying used dirtbikes either.

If your doing woods riding, look at a pair of stegz pegz. They are awesome. The ECU, pipe and mapping are best things to do first up aswell as suspension. I have put a YZF slipon instead of the WRF, opened up airbox and remapped and it goes muxh better now. More useable power and better bottom end.

MS450- Congrats on the new bike!

QuickOz, Please don't advise people in the USA to install YZF mufflers on their trail bikes. YZF mufflers are simply much too loud for responsible trail riding. Thanks!

Goatee. 250 and 450 are completely different animals in the bush. The geometry is probably the same but the 450 is heavier, and has more abrupt power, so when actually riding the two back to back the 450 feels big and heavy. Nice on open stuff, but no fun in tight stuff.

Darryl, your KTM 300 was it a 2T? Just wondering how you find the WR feels weight wise in comparison to it (or any other bike that you've had to be fair) in the tight stuff as I'm considering a WR myself but I'm just a little worried about it's stated (though I know it's wet) weight? 

Oh and naturally if anyone else has any thoughts about how they find the weight of their WR (particularly in the tight stuff) then please feel free to share them :).

Edited by womble9

Goatee. 250 and 450 are completely different animals in the bush. The geometry is probably the same but the 450 is heavier, and has more abrupt power, so when actually riding the two back to back the 450 feels big and heavy. Nice on open stuff, but no fun in tight stuff.

Oh I couldn't agree more. My post was a stab at a few guys on here who said I was flat out wrong for saying so.

I've only rode my 15 WR twice in the woods but both times it was good in the tight stuff I didn't really notice the weight. It handles good IMO. I dropped it twice so far and both times picked it up no problem once in a sandy downhill. I'm no big muscle guy just average skinny build.

Mine is a pain in the ass to kick start so I'm glad it has a electric starter. I only tried to kick it to see how hard or easy it was, it's a tall bike and that's 90% of my problem kicking I believe.

goatse---got ya.. As a former off-road-racer for 30 seasons, I still get a laugh at the guys who look down at 250s or even 300s, then show to have little in the skills dept. MS450 I swapped from the 2014 KTM300 to the WR250 after riding it in the bush. 14 years of Orange, and now Blue in the shed, is not going over well with my old riding crew. I take lots of flack. The Yam is actually heavier, but does not feel it when on the move. I love the power(once you get use to it) and I have always preferred the handling of Yamahas (and Suzukis) over KTMs in sand..As I ride a lot of sand now the change was a good thing. I have mine lowered in the back about 30mm and is much better.

Nothing turned better than my RMZ450 but it had way too much power to ride fast in the woods.

I think the WR is fine in the tight stuff. Can throw it around more then easy enough. After the mods I've done its awesome. Not finished yet but :)

I think the WR is fine in the tight stuff. Can throw it around more then easy enough. After the mods I've done its awesome. Not finished yet but :)

That sounds good, quite what mods have you made to yours?

If I get one I'll have a few weeks to kind of "project bike" it before the race season starts so it'd be great to know what's worth paying attention to / bolting on / ripping off!! :).

YZF slipon, airbox mod, remap to suit, set suspension, GYTR levers.

Opens up the bottom end better then stock. If your gonna race I'd recommend this to start with.