Sign in to follow this  

14/54 Gearing...

As mentioned earlier, the change from 14/48 TO 14/51 has been very beneficial to the pig. What can I expect going to 14/54? The bike is used for offroad duty 95% of the time.

As mentioned earlier, the change from 14/48 TO 14/51 has been very beneficial to the pig. What can I expect going to 14/54? The bike is used for offroad duty 95% of the time.

I would expect the bike to be able to climb walls at idle with that gearing. :smirk:

I would suggest that you keep going lower until you finally go too low, then you'll finally have the gearing that you're happy with.

You could always try at 13-tooth front to get an idea of what the bigger rear sprocket would be like, although 13/51 will be a bit lower gearing than 14/54.

And here I thought 14/48 was too low on mine.

Edited by ScottRNelson

I run 13 /52 on mine & love it, but hate it when hopping on road.

One day you will find your rear sprocket is bigger than your rear tire if you keep it up... :jawdrop:

Drop the bike off and I`ll rebuild the engine with enough power that you`ll leave the sprockets alone.....

B

I would expect the bike to be able to climb walls at idle with that gearing. :smirk:

I would suggest that you keep going lower until you finally go too low, then you'll finally have the gearing that you're happy with.

You could always try at 13-tooth front to get an idea of what the bigger rear sprocket would be like, although 13/51 will be a bit lower gearing than 14/54.

And here I thought 14/48 was too low on mine.

Actually, 14/51 works extremely well. But of course i am itching to see how the 14/54 would work also. Because i cannot leave well enough alone. ;)

I run 13 /52 on mine & love it, but hate it when hopping on road.

I'm guessing that your cruising speed on the highway would be around 50 mph.? . i find with the 14/51, 55 mph is the most i would cruise at.

One day you will find your rear sprocket is bigger than your rear tire if you keep it up... :jawdrop:

Drop the bike off and I`ll rebuild the engine with enough power that you`ll leave the sprockets alone.....

B

Maybe this winter Brian. I will leave it to you. I am leaning towards a mild rebuild. Perhaps a slight boost in compression.  It needs to carburate flawlessly off idle as it does now. I do a lot of slow runs through rock gardens and winding trails as well as flogging it hard on straights and such. Will be sticking with the stock carb for awhile yet. :thumbsup:

I ran 13:48 it hilly rocky CT when I ran a large rear tire, like a terrorflex or 140 series MT21.

You could ride just off idle at about walking speed and if you had traction, you could do anything.

With a normal sized tire, would have been needlessly low.

Maybe this winter Brian. I will leave it to you. I am leaning towards a mild rebuild. Perhaps a slight boost in compression.  It needs to carburate flawlessly off idle as it does now. I do a lot of slow runs through rock gardens and winding trails as well as flogging it hard on straights and such. Will be sticking with the stock carb for awhile yet. :thumbsup:

When mine was updated with a larger piston (making it a 675) with 10.5:1 compression, it ran great with no carburetor changes whatsoever.  I was going to lean it out one step on the main jet, but was advised to leave it rich to help protect against detonation.  It runs great from sea level to about 6000 feet (as high as I've taken it).

I ran 13:48 it hilly rocky CT when I ran a large rear tire, like a terrorflex or 140 series MT21.

You could ride just off idle at about walking speed and if you had traction, you could do anything.

With a normal sized tire, would have been needlessly low.

14/51 with the stock 110/90 is an absolute riot off road on the trails and such. I tried a bigger tire on the back a couple of times and imo made the bike feel akward and less agile compared to the stock size.

When mine was updated with a larger piston (making it a 675) with 10.5:1 compression, it ran great with no carburetor changes whatsoever.  I was going to lean it out one step on the main jet, but was advised to leave it rich to help protect against detonation.  It runs great from sea level to about 6000 feet (as high as I've taken it).

...good to know.

I'm guessing that your cruising speed on the highway would be around 50 mph.? . i find with the 14/51, 55 mph is the most i would cruise at.

Yup, & I think this is how I hurt my motor, keeping up with the gang on the street, screeming up to 70 at times for some what quick burst. I dont ride it anymore because of the internal top end noise. Must pull it apart, but short on funds.So it sits for now. :thumbsdn:

What model of Honda do you have?

If you're asking Thumper3, you just have to decode all of the junk that he has in his signature to see that it's an XR650L.  It even says that right at the end.  Hopefully my signature makes it clear what bikes I have as well.

What model of Honda do you have?

Mine is a 2006 xr650l. Bought it about 4 years ago with 6000 km( 3600 miles) on it. Now it has 30,000 km( 18,000 miles) racked up on it. I have had over 20 bikes in my life.....and this is one of the toughest sob i have put my leg over. I have gone through a lot of tires, wheel bearings and such, which is to be expected. The engine is near bullet proof. I wish they made cars this tough and reliable! However, to really shine, they need a little help. But the payoff is very rewarding.

The chain guide may not be designed for such a large rear sprocket, so the chain angle may wear the guide rub surface very rapidly. That's what I found with a 53 tooth on my 600R.

First question: Where are you going to get a 54 tooth sprocket? 53 is as big as I have found with out going custom...

Dad has his XR650L set up with 12/53 (not a misprint) and the NX650 5th gear and he loves it for banging around the mountains.

First question: Where are you going to get a 54 tooth sprocket? 53 is as big as I have found with out going custom...

Dad has his XR650L set up with 12/53 (not a misprint) and the NX650 5th gear and he loves it for banging around the mountains.

...Dealer...ebay. Several aftermarket company's make a 54. 

The chain guide may not be designed for such a large rear sprocket, so the chain angle may wear the guide rub surface very rapidly. That's what I found with a 53 tooth on my 600R.

I recall someone saying that the xr600r's chain guide had to be modfied (lowered), to use a 51 rear tooth sprocket? This 51 that's on the xr"L" required no mod. Perhaps i will be ok with a 54??