Sign in to follow this  

Hey old friends!

I was here when I had my DRZ under a different name. Anyway, I had my DRZ for 6 months and then it got stolen, wrecked and totaled. So I tried my shot at more of a street bike (FZ07) it was fun but to tempting to go fast and do stupid things so I sold it and recently got back into the dual sport scene. Weighed all my options from a CRF250L to a DRZ to a XR650R and a WR250.. I ended up deciding none of them would ultimately satisfy everything I want in a dual sport. So I bit the bullet and got a Husky 501S and man is it an incredible bike!

My old DRZ

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447086867.578100.jpg

My FZ07

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447086908.227108.jpg

My new hog

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447087022.318442.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447087062.321873.jpg

• Like 6

One of my riding buddies picked up the 350 version of that bike and it's awsome.  If I was made of money I'd be tempted to trade the DRZ for the Husky. 

• Like 1

What's the maintenance schedule on one of those? Just curious.

The maintenance schedule in the book is probably completely irrelevant to how the bike holds up in practice :/ As usually with KTM. As far as I know this motor lasts quite well. To find out what they're really like, you have to find longterm reports and teardown reports. (This lack of real-world information is probably the biggest barrier for people considering to buy light, modern dual-sport bikes ...)

The service manual calls for the following service - intervals and as mentioned above may turn out to be longer in the real world.    http://50.249.93.75/manual/14FE350_owners.pdf

The service schedule reflects the racing heritage.  Fast, light, and cheap, are not compatible, you can get two of them but not three. 

Every 15 hours

Change the oil, filter, and clean the oil screen.

Change the fuel screen

Every 30 hours 

Change the shaft seal rings of the water pump

Repack the silencer

Every 45 hours

Service shock and forks.

Every 135 hours (or 70 hours of racing) you need to change:

Piston and rings

Valves, valve springs, and valve spring seats

Connecting rod, con rod bearing, and crank pin

Timing chain

Suction pump

All engine bearings

Edited by npm
  • Like 3

Hour meters are nice. Last time I was out with my buddies from dawn till dusk was only five hours of 'engine on' time. Very little of those five hours would meet the definition of racing.

• Like 1

It's an amazing bike! So much power, from the engine to the brakes. It has a hour meter and all that stuff, it takes longer to

put 15 hours on it than I thought. I think I'm only at 3 right now. I definitely won't be doing a rebuild when they say it's due. I have faith it will go 150-200 +hours on bearings, piston, etc

• Like 2

It's an amazing bike! So much power, from the engine to the brakes. It has a hour meter and all that stuff, it takes longer to

put 15 hours on it than I thought. I think I'm only at 3 right now. I definitely won't be doing a rebuild when they say it's due. I have faith it will go 150-200 +hours on bearings, piston, etc

Yup! I'm confident it'll go double or triple that.

The previous FI motor from KTM R&D (the 2009-2012 Husaberg 70-degree motor) really aced the reliability. Finally. (Very different motor from the previous Husaberg motors! Completely different design philosophy! It was the experimental platform for FI for KTM, basically. An exercise in reliability also it seems.) Those bikes go for multiple hundreds of hours needing NO work. You can find out a bit about that platform by searching for "husaberg 390 reliability" or "husaberg 570 reliability".

Point beng that these new KTM motors are similar.! I've also seen some writeups on the 350 motor looking really good when they opened one up after x hundred hours.

I remember stories about one Portuguese rental outfit that had multiple 390s running for ... what, 500+ hours? And found nothing that needed doing when they opened them up. Can't google up a link atm :(

Here are some hints as well: http://husaberg.org/mechanical/15789-approx-fe570-miles-before-valves-top-end-rebuild-etc.html

Yup! I'm confident it'll go double or triple that.

The previous FI motor from KTM R&D (the 2009-2012 Husaberg 70-degree motor) really aced the reliability. Finally. (Very different motor from the previous Husaberg motors! Completely different design philosophy! It was the experimental platform for FI for KTM, basically. An exercise in reliability also it seems.) Those bikes go for multiple hundreds of hours needing NO work. You can find out a bit about that platform by searching for "husaberg 390 reliability" or "husaberg 570 reliability".

Point beng that these new KTM motors are similar.! I've also seen some writeups on the 350 motor looking really good when they opened one up after x hundred hours.

I remember stories about one Portuguese rental outfit that had multiple 390s running for ... what, 500+ hours? And found nothing that needed doing when they opened them up. Can't google up a link atm :(

Here are some hints as well: http://husaberg.org/mechanical/15789-approx-fe570-miles-before-valves-top-end-rebuild-etc.html

yeah man for sure, they have come along way. The engine components are so strong and beefy that they can be "high performance" race engines and still last many hundred hours. I read earlier one guy had 200 hours on his and he hadn't even checked the valves yet. It's still no DRZ for engine life and maintenance intervals but the specs are crazy different.

I think a DRZ is what? Like 28hp stock? Or 32... Something like that. It weighs over 300 pounds. And then there is a 510cc Husky that weighs about 260 soaking wet and puts out 58hp stock.. That's such a massive difference. Obviously you pay for it but in my case it's worth it. This 501 is so easy to ride, I should probably be afraid at how comfortable I felt on it today. I felt so in control though. It was awesome!

• Like 2