Sign in to follow this  

Battery Dead then Extremely Hot?

I was trail riding this weekend and ran out of gas.  After filling the tank I tried to restart, battery completely dead.  Kicked started my bike right up and continued my ride.  15- 20 minutes later I noticed my seat was really hot, right above the battery.  The only thing that could cause this is a REALLY hot battery.  Stopped a while later, and turned the bike off.  I checked the battery - fully charged.

Im at a loss for what would cause the battery to drain, get extremely hot, then regain charge and be fine?  

The bike was really hot, radiator fan was on quite a bit.  Several hours of 2nd/3rd gear riding.  I am thinking I might need a more powerful stator to power the radiator fan but really hoping someone can help me understand why my battery would get so hot.  It's a new WPS lithium featherweight battery.

2007 KTM EXC 450.  Thanks for the help.

Hot lithium battery, get rid of it. Swap it under warranty if possible, or buy a new one to be safe. Lithium batteries in general can catch fire so error far on the side of safety and replace anything suspect.

It sounds to me like something shorted, possibly inside the battery. Look carefully at the wires on the bike and see if you can find anything melted or distorted, or with the insulation rubbed off. If it was enough power to get the battery hot then it's going to be a sizable wire, unless the problem is inside the battery itself.

#1  replace the battery (its shot)

#2 test and monitor charge voltage , to ensure shot battery wasn't blown up by changing system.

Just had a battery fire on a Kaw Vulcan 800 last week.............the guy parked it in his carport 30 minutes later it caught fire, burned the Vulcan and a Kaw KLR 650 parked 3 feet away...........his carport and the entrance to his house.

He stated " I just replacd the battery last week"..............yes it was a lithium.

Time for an insurance company / manufacturer battle.....but thats how it goes.

There are a lot of happy people with lithium batteries, but there are also arguably more people with lithium battery fires than lead acid battery fires. Actually I've heard of, and seen myself, lead acid battery explode, but no fires that I'm aware of. But go YouTube lithium battery fire and you'll get plenty to watch.

This guy is great:

I have same bike. I put a Shorai Lithium battery in and had nothing but trouble. I went back to a regular battery from Motobatt and have not had any problems since then. I also have a fan. Maybe I just had a bad one but I won't be using one again anytime soon.