Sign in to follow this  

2016 450 SXF first ride report.

First KTM for me. After one day on it here's what I got: pretty much everything you've read is true. Yes it's light, we all wanted 4 strokes that felt like 2 strokes, well this is it. The power is deceptive. No hit! But it's there and it's quick. Very free feel to the engine both under power and deceleration. Much less compression braking. The standard EFI map was not for me, right to aggressive setting. I feel like it could use more top end. The engine likes to sing, but I want more on top.

Not impressed with the forks, but I think it's how great the shock/rear is that makes them seem worse than they are, but definitely gonna re-valve. Overall better handling bike than my '11 RMZ450 (with re-valve) - straight line and corners. It's not settling in turns as well as my RMZ - feels tall. Decoster doesn't want me sitting down! Re-Valve/set up should fix it. That's the one area that stood out as different and less comfortable as compared to my RMZ, where the RMZ easily lays over at turn initiation this KTM carves the same or TIGHTER line in a more upright position. So you don't get that, "I'm buried in it" feel in a rutted or berm turn. This may change as the suspension breaks in, clicker settings, with a re-valve, or maybe something I adapt to. Plenty of front end grip on flat corners and can control the rear easily. Shrouds are a bit wider than RMZ towards the front, but ergo's are great, effortlessly puts you right in the pocket when transitioning from standing to sitting. Brakes are primo.

I got so used to the heavy front plowing feel of 450's over the years that I have to change my riding style back to more of a 2 stroke loose/light front feel! I can't wait to get the suspension dialed in, get some confidence in what this bike can really do. Overall light, fun, easy to throw around, &%$#@! cat power that's deceptively quick.

#drinkingtheorangecoolaid Yes with a "c", this bike is cool.

Edited by rcmxracing
  • Like 2

Does yours have the 4cs or aer ?

Yea, the button is cool. Even works in gear w/clutch!

4cs fork.

Just did first oil change. Shocked. No metal, no shavings or metallic sheen. Nothing! Both screens, filter. I wonder if KTM runs these engines and changes oil?

I rode one and had to have one. Got it over a week ago and it has rained everyday since! Next race is this Saturday and I've only ridden it up and down the street. I'm gonna take a day off later this week to break it in and set it up-if it ever stops raining!

I rode one and had to have one. Got it over a week ago and it has rained everyday since! Next race is this Saturday and I've only ridden it up and down the street. I'm gonna take a day off later this week to break it in and set it up-if it ever stops raining!

Let us know what you think.

Let us know what you think.

I posted my review. Look at 2016 ktm450sxf review. Love the bike.

RCMX, Did you notice if the std map had more top end??? I definitely like the increase in low-mid with the aggressive map, but it feels (to me) like it lost some top end.

Just wondering if you or anyone noticed that too, or is it just me... 

I didn't notice that. I rode mine on both maps and the main thing I noticed was the lack of mid low power on standard. Most reports I've read say they prefer the aggressive map.

The FMF can made a big difference in both power and freewheeling de accleration

Yzrider53, I didn't notice it. Don't plan on going back to std map, except mud or dry slick conditions. Can really feel that surge from 8,000 and up RPM. Vital had a dyno chart showing peak HP around 8,900. Funny my WC meter was showing I was hitting around 8,300 peak. Aha moment. Went back out and started revving it more and it really worked, felt a nice surge, jumps out of corners can just hold it on. Meter showed close to 8,800.

Coming off RMZ I'm finding I need to hold it on longer. Rmz peaked about 1,000 lower.