Sign in to follow this  

You know the PW50 needs a top end when......

So you know you have a problem when you wake up to 35 degree temps and the poor 50 has zero compression until you set it close to the fire and get things warmed up.  Then it fires up and runs.  LOL

So this past weekend was the first desert ride for me and my boys this winter.  My youngest, 5 years old, rides a beater PW50 that a buddy gave me.  My buddy that gave it to me had a little K&N cone air filter on it that never seemed to fit right but always did the job.

Well, this past Easter was our last desert ride and at some point during the 4 day trip the darn air filter came off and I never noticed because it is tucked up behind the side panel so I have no idea if the thing sucked dirt for hours or days but it sucked dirt for sure.  It was running for this trip good enough to take out but man it is bad.

On to my question.  I'm going to buy a complete top end kit to be on the safe side and am wondering what experiences some of you may have with the various Ebay kits such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PW-50-PW50-QT-50-QT50-Cylinder-Piston-Ring-Gasket-Top-End-Set-Kit-NEW-/201222854652?fits=Model%3APW50&hash=item2ed9d117fc:g:l6cAAOSwj0NUbi2t&vxp=mtr

Or if the ones from the places like peewee cycles are of better quality.  In all honesty this winter will probably be the last he rides this thing because he is going to take over his older bros crf50 when I move the older one up to a KX65 so I am not looking to spend big bucks on this PW.  Just looking for something that is solid and will get us through the rest of this winter.

http://www.peeweecycle.com/miniracer-pw50engine.html

Thanks all, I appreciate the insight.

I think I would drop the extra 50 for the extra quality rather than potentially waste 55 on the cheap stuff. The ebay one could be "good enough" or could just as easily be crap.

I put in a 60cc kit last night.  I went cheap and got one off Ebay.  It included everything, head, cylinder etc and went together perfect.  It starts up and sounds great but it looks like I have a new problem.  The petcock, or somewhere along the line to the float bowl is running out of gas so I need to figure that out.  

Something is restricting the fuel flow but all in all I'm happy with the kit.