Sign in to follow this  

2013 TE310R vs 2016 FE350S

I'm considering moving from my current TE310R to a new FE350S but haven't been able to ride the new 350.  What are the major differences in power delivery, handling, etc. or are there not enough differences to lay down thousands of dollars for a new bike?  And "no" I'm not ready to step up the the 501 yet (maybe never). 

I have a 13 TXC 310 and I have had a 14 FE 350. At Bills demo days last weekend in Bend I got a chance to sample a lot of bikes including a uncorked 13 TE 310 and a 15  350 s that had a pcv and a procircuit exhaust. Here is my honest unbiased comparison.

Handling: Once set up for your skill,weight and riding style. Both are equal. The Husky is more comfortable for taller people

Motor: My TXC and the unplugged TE 310 ran as strong or better than my stock FE 350  but not as strong as the un plugged 15 FE 350s. The 350's have the same six speed and each get buzy at 60mph on the payment where the 310's get the same buziness at 50 mph. The 350's could be geared much taller with a spocket change and be much better than the 310's. Advantage to the 350's.

Upside potential goes to the 350's. The 310's also have good upside. My bike has been stock except for the suspension and has run great. 

Don't be scared of the bigger FE's. I rode the FE 450 at the demo day and have ridden the 501. Both are super easy to ride.

If you can only have one bike then the FE's are the ticket. 

If you don't have a need for riding at higher road speeds then the cost diff is not worth the difference. A dialed  in 310 is a great offroad bike 

A FE350s is a more refined TE310 but heavier and wider. I have rode a KTM (XC-W, EXC) version and liked the TE much better. TE seemed to be more agile and responsive in stock form. Gas mileage and transmission goes to the FE.

Tmblweed first let me say don't be afraid of the 501. The power delivery is actually a lot smoother and more manageable than a 350. I own a brand new FE 501's and love it! Its power delivery is very smooth it has no sudden hit just gobs of tractolike torque that smoothly turns into a revving beast as rpms build. Once you ride the 500 you'll never want to go back! Either way getting away from the Italian husky is a good move they are great fun bikes out of the box but ultimately have reliability issues of all sorts. I have several friends that have regrettably gone down the Italian husky Road. I'm friends with a Husqvarna dealer and mechanic they are stoked about the new Austrian made White knights and pleased to see the Italian BMW made Huskies gone to the past! Don't let what I said about the fe 350s discourage you. I've ridden one they're awesome it feels almost as fast as my 501 in most situations however the 350 power delivery is a bit more abrupt and will keep you on your toes. Especially your shifting toe. The weight difference between the 350 and 501 are minimal and barely noticeable.

1447478208507.jpg

Yes the TE has had some issues but not all of them. If this bike turns out to have issues ZipTy has the knowledge and support to fix them. The savings between the TE and the FE easily would cover the cost for fixes that maybe needed.

If you are in shape then a 500 would be a good bike. I don't like big bores as they ride heavier but mostly because of the constant pull from the extra torque. I carry more corner speed and like to rev vs. powering out. For me smaller bores I am faster on and haven't found a condition where the bikes performance was less then my skill.

Throttle on! I've never ridden a motorcycle that was not fun. At 44 years old I still had a blast riding my 09 crf 150r before I regretfully sold it in June. I am an open class junkie at heart and miss my KX 500 to death. I did all the r and d in Baja. She was geared to do about 110. Race Tech gold valved to boot! The best motorcycle advise I ever got was from a mechanic friend of mine. Never sell a good motorcycle. I am still learning . If the 350 shoe fits wear it!

1447559879150.jpg

• Like 1