Sign in to follow this  

another what to buy post

This is my first post but I've been reading alot on the forum and will be my first dirt bike. I'm 5'11" 265 and 37 years old to start off with. Not familiar with dirtbikes but want to get one to trail ride with. I'm currently looking at an 05 kx 250 2 stroke with a flywheel weight but worry about my weight with this one and throttle control and an 05 yz450 which I think would do better with my weight and I would get used to throttle control on this one better. Any opinions would be appriciated

This is my first post but I've been reading alot on the forum and will be my first dirt bike. I'm 5'11" 265 and 37 years old to start off with. Not familiar with dirtbikes but want to get one to trail ride with. I'm currently looking at an 05 kx 250 2 stroke with a flywheel weight but worry about my weight with this one and throttle control and an 05 yz450 which I think would do better with my weight and I would get used to throttle control on this one better. Any opinions would be appriciated

I started on an '06 YZ450 at 49 years old. I'm only about 190 lbs. I also prefer to ride on the trails, so I geared it way down. I think you'll like the 450.

I even raced it once (GP) last year. But for me, once I have some extra money, I'll downsize to a properly geared trail bike. I don't need that 450 power and could definitely use some more friendly trail/hill gearing.

Other way around. A 450 is a handful in the woods. 

idk i would much rather take my crf450r into the woods over my cr250. my cr is a handful and at least my crf i feel is far more predictable and the power delivery is more smooth. both bikes have a lot of power but my 250 is really poppy, but I've also done some work to make it more responsive.

Buy a used ttr or crf 230 or some other mild mannered trail bike. Gain some experience then you caj decide whether to kill yourself on a 450. You can resale the trail bikes with very little or no loss if you shop smart.

Buy a used ttr or crf 230 or some other mild mannered trail bike. Gain some experience then you caj decide whether to kill yourself on a 450. You can resale the trail bikes with very little or no loss if you shop smart.

I agree 100%. I just learned to ride last fall and it's important to start on a small bike before you move up. With your weight most suspension on the 230s and other bikes won't work well. Maybe try a 250 4 stroke or a 200 2 stroke (kdx200/220 or ktm200) and then go from there. I would certainly not go with a 250 2t or 450 for a first bike

I started back after a long hiatus on a 250f, I weigh 225 and its plenty for woods riding for now. Ive ridden a 450f and a 250 in the woods briefly as well and the 250 was more suited than the 450 imo, I bet one with a flywheel weight would be even better. I like the idea of a 200 2t, the maintenance on a 250f can be $$$$, especially if your not familiar with working on them yourself.

Edited by CRFRida1605