Sign in to follow this  

change only the rear sprocket?

hello

I have been riding desert trails on my kx450f with an 50 tooth rear sprocket, i bought a 46t rear sprocket, havent install it yet, can i change only the rear sprocket without having to change the front one too?? 

Here's my attempt to help you out...

You CAN change to a 46 T, BUT consider this:

Dropping 5 T in the rear will give you a lot more top speed in each gear. That said,you will have less on the bottom end of it. If you're riding a 450 in any tight trails the 46 will most likely be too doggy, you will find yourself needing to double clutch it a lot more and usually be in a lower gear than you would have with your 50,or 51T. (Adding more ware/tear on your clutch or crank if the bike is chugging)

Also, more than likely you will have to take a link or two out of your chain to make up for the shortening of your drive circuit(2sprockets and chain).

If you have to go to a 46,then you have to, but expect the bike to respond a little different.

Hope this helps!

I change them independently of each other frequently.  I've even replaced sprockets and not the chain.  If the chain has not stretched it has not worn in my opinion.  I also only run DID o-ring chains which last an unreasonably long time.

Edited by turbo dan