Sign in to follow this  

Yz450f suspension confusion?

I've recently bought a yz450f 2013 and can not get my head around what I need to do to get the suspension set right?, at my local track there's is a short wave section were the bike bottoms out so I've checked that setting and I'm running 100mm race/40mm static sag, all clickers in middle. So how can I be on the limit of needing a softer Spring but I'm bottoming.

Springs are for rider weight ,damping is for controlling bottoming

• Like 1

Sorry I'm quite new to setting suspension correctly I've always just left it but as this is a new bike to me I want it perfect. Should I still put a softer Spring on it to bring it down to around 30mm static and just turn the comp in harder?

Your static sag is alright but try the clickers first. Start with stock and work from there. One or two clicks at a time and only 1/4 turn on the high speed comp at a time. Same with the rebound. 1 or two clicks at a time.

• Like 1

Your confusing two areas of suspension

Think this way

The only job of the spring is to hold the weight of you and the bike up in the correct position

Everything else is damping

So if the spring is correct for weight (and use) then all other problems are controlled by damping

Some can not be changed by clickers

Break it down more

Clickers on forks (both reb and comp) are for low speed (shaft speed not ground speed) as is reb on shock, comp on shock has both high and low speed clickers

Break down the track (all shaft speed not ground speed)

Corners are low speed

Up ramps are mid to high speed

Down ramps are low speed

Whoops high speed

Waves are mid to high speed

And so on

To cure the waves problem

Put more high speed damping on the shock and LESS low speed rebound get it to extend down

Here is my base line for the 13 yz

Fork hight 0mm

Oil 355ml

Comp -10

Reb -9

Shock

Sag 100/105

High speed -1.5

Low -7

Reb -14

To OP,

what is your weight in lbs (or kg) ?

and does the bike have it's original springs?

Edited by mlatour

Thanks yz295, that's cleared it up a lot.

I'm 80kg but I've bought the bike second hand and it's had some work done to it from planet suspension so I'm not sure if the springs standard or not. I can't see anything wrote on it?