Spokes bent bad?

I am saddened to say that I have bent spokes worse than that, took the wheel apart, removed the damaged spokes, straightened them and reinstalled. I know, the cheap way out but after a year of riding, no ill effects what so ever. As a matter of fact, you can't tell which ones were bent and the wheel stayed true.

It doesn't take much to bent a spoke, a stick in the wheels and a poke or two is bent that quickly! I don't think you can buy loose spokes either, you need to get a wheel kit. Might be a worthwhile and safer investment than reusing bent spokes like I did. Go ask you dealer or look on e bay

1. You can buy loose spokes, they're about a dollar each, take the old spoke to any shop and they'll sell you a new one, if they don't have any, they're the worst bike shop on earth, and you should never visit them again.

2. If your spoke bent, then it had to have been loose, spokes under tension won't kink like that. I've been tossed over the bars from things getting stuck in the spokes and they are all fine.

3. Look over both of your wheels and the rest of your bike and make sure everything is tight, if you don't have a spoke wrench, buy one when you buy a new spoke, search youtube for wheel truing and tensioning tips. 

4. You got lucky, loose spokes are a bad thing to have, a spoke or two is cheap, loose spokes and lead to a failed rim, which will quickly cost more, especially with and oem rem that is likely an odd size requiring a whole new set of spokes to rebuild the wheel.

Look after your bike and it will look after you, entry level parts require more upkeep, but if properly maintained they'll last as long as high end parts, they'll just weigh more. And if you're planning on getting a more high end bike, then there's no better time to learn.

Confessions of someone who rode a season of dh on an entry level hardtail, and have put several thousand miles on it since then, only replacing parts when they are truelove failed. 

Thanks for the replies, I will take one to a bike shop. I do plan on getting a higher end enduro soon, so is it worth it? How much is a spoke wrench

Maybe $5, and it's a skill you should learn, take it to a shop and buy only the spoke and wrench, do the rest yourself, any other tools you might need will only help you as time goes on.

• Like 1

the 4 sided ones suck, buy a set of park tools ones, much better quality.park-tool-spoke-wrench-2008.jpg

just noticed the above posts are the same as i posted, thought you all were talking about one of these.

0071115_topeak_multi_spoke_wrench.jpeg

Actually, the 4 sided ones are a new series from park. They grab all 4 sides of the nipple, great for aluminium or stuck nipples.