Sign in to follow this  

Another what-bike-should-I-get question (4rt vs GG250)

I'm new to trials and am looking at two used bikes: 2005 Montesa Corta 4RT and a 2011 GasGas 250TXT. Asking price for both is $4K. The Montesa appears to be almost mint (orig owner), while the GasGas is scratched up but in excellent shape. I don't care about aesthetics that much, except for the resale value and, yeh, it's kind of nice to put my own dents in a bike.

Any opinions / suggestions? Thank you!! in advance for any ideas. I've done decent amount of research on-line but really want to hear from any of you who have actual experience and willing to share.

4rt, I have one, it's a Honda product and rarely needs anything, plus it is injected so it always runs good.  Some people have good luck with Gas Gas but I know some that feel they are unreliable.

I prefer 4Ts for trail riding, I haven't owned a 2T trail bike since the seventies.

So I agree about the posts on 4RT reliability.  I have a Montesa 315R, a 2T with a HRC engine, and its chassis was used for the 4RT.   I have two friends with 4RTs and their and my assessment is the 4RT is a great trail bike, but my 315R 2T is a better Trials bike for our skill level. 

So a 2T compared to the 4RT will be lighter, more agile because of the lower CG, and have softer more tractable power on the bottom. 

Since YMMV pick your poison and enjoy the ride.